Chapter 12

His Fallen Angel

Jinki had already revealed too much, and now he knew he had to pay the consequences of this particularly stupid action of his. His heart and mind at odds with each other, he decided to reveal everything to Jonghyun. 

(I have something to tell you which might shock you. I’m not really your guardian angel)

”Why did you respond to me?”

(I was bored, and wanted some fun)

”Was that all I was to you? A guinea pig you could experiment on? A lab rat who would do your bidding?”

(I don't want to lie to you. In the beginning, I did think of you as a way for me to escape the angel realm)

"What the hell? How could you do that to me?"

(Can we go inside your apartment? I want to show you something)

Knowing that he couldn't let his temper loose on the roof, Jonghyun walked into his apartment.

"What? What more lies do you have for me?"

(I didn't lie to you just now, I've been nothing but honest)

"I thought you cared for me. I thought we were friends"

(We are. I really do care about you, Jonghyun)

"I wish I'd never called you in the first place. Just get out of my head"

(You don't mean that)

"I do. I wish we had never got to know each other"

(I helped you, and is this the thanks I get for all I did?)

"I was better off being bullied at work. I didn't need you to lull me with your false friendship and then stab me right in the back"

(You know what? You're right. I should have just let your face get broken)

"Just go away. I never want to see you again"

(You've never seen me in the first place)

"In that case, I never want to hear your bloody voice again"

More hurt than he let on, Jinki didn't know if there was even anything he could say which could diffuse this situation. Although it was true that he had initially thought of Jonghyun as a er and taken complete advantage of him, Jinki had actually grown rather fond of him. At the moment, the best thing he could do was to return to the angel realm. As he slowly entered the angel realm, Jinki saw everyone waiting for him, with a stern expression on their faces. There was no excuse he could use, so Jinki just braced himself to face the music that would come.

"Jinki, have you been in the human realm all this while?"

He couldn't lie to the Chief Angel who already knew everything. He was the most powerful of them all.

"I have, my Lord"

"Did you, or did you not lie and cheat your host in order to enter the human realm?"

Jinki couldn't even look at the Chief Angel's face, and instead stared firmly at the ground, almost whispering his answer.

"I did, my Lord"

”Not only that, but you’ve allowed your host to view the angel realm”

”I didn’t mean for that to happen, my Lord. It was a mistake, that happened when I didn’t expect it”

"Would you really sacrifice everything we've worked for, just for your own sadistic pleasures? You'd have been better off being an aide to Loki, than an angel"

Lifting his eyes to look at his superior, Jinki noticed the steam rising from around him, which signified the Chief Angel's immense fury. Knowing he deserved whatever punishment he received, Jinki mentally prepared for the worst.

"Since you’ve decided to act like a demon, you may as well join them"

This was the worst thing that could ever happen to an angel, and everyone around them gasped, as the Chief Angel delivered these words. Sinking to the floor in shock, Jinki started to sob, as he realized what would soon happen. When an angel was sent to the world of demons, they were tortured beyond anyone's imaginations. Angels who were sent to the demon world almost never came back. The few angels who were able to return, had their wings torn off, and none of them was ever able to speak again.

"My Lord, please, I beg of you...please don't send me to the demon realm" 

"Do I have a choice, Jinki? You've broken every rule we have"

"Please, I swear I won't do anything this again"

"I won't send you to the demon realm, but I will say this. You are hereby banished from the angel realm and will be sent to the human realm to correct all of your mistakes. You won't be able to use any of your powers for the next three years, after which you will be able to return to the angel realm"

Three years without his powers, and having to spend that time in the human realm was infinitely better than having to spend even one day in the demon realm. With a heavy heart, Jinki bid farewell to the one home he had always known and approached their leader.

"Be well, Jinki. I know you will do your best"

Closing his eyes as he felt a suction all around him, Jinki counted till ten and opened his eyes, to find himself standing outside Jonghyun's workplace. Though Jonghyun was the one who entered his mind when his leader announced that Jinki would be returning to the human world, he didn't expect to have to face Jonghyun so soon.

**********************************************************************************************

It had been ten days since his fight with Jinki, and Jonghyun was beginning to miss that small infestation in his mind. For all his faults, Jinki had actually helped him out of a number of sticky situations. Starting to feel rather guilty, he'd even tried to contact Jinki through the Angel board he had used earlier, but no one had answered. It had probably served him right. All he could do was to install his painting of the angel right in the middle of his living room and look at it whenever he missed Jinki. His change in behaviour was noticed by his bosses as well as co-workers who had assumed that he's been involved in a breakup. Determined to find Jinki, Jonghyun made a mental note to return to the occult store and ask the owner what he could do, once he was finished working for the day. Almost rushing out in his haste, Jonghyun stopped in his tracks when he saw someone who looked vaguely familiar to him. Not wanting to miss his chance to find Jinki, Jonghyun ran past him only to stop at the end of the street and turn back around. Who was he, and where had they met before? Walking closer to him, Jonghyun was hit by a flash of recognition. This man was an absolute replica of the angel he had painted. He had seen that angel in a dream, but how could he just be standing in front of him? Could it be a coincidence? Noting the smirk on the man's face when he realized he was being stared at, Jonghyun looked to the floor, embarrassed, but still kept thinking about that painting. The only difference was that the angel had wings, and this man obviously didn't. Wings. Could it be..? It was worth a try.

"Jinki? Is that you?"

"You don't let anything run by you, do you?"

"Wait, what are you doing here, and how are you..human?"

"Well, I got banished from the angel realm, so I'm here now"

"Why are you here?"

"I just told you"

"No, I mean, why are you outside my office?"

"When I was being sent to the human world, you were the person I thought of. I just wanted to apologize to you. I'm really sorry for everything I did, I shouldn't have answered you that day"

"You know Jinki, I'm glad you did, and I'm glad to see you again. I know I said a lot of things in anger and I regret them now"

"I'm sorry I lied to you at first, but I really do care about you. I did think of you as my friend and not just a host"

There wasn't much that Jonghyun could do when he heard this simple apology and these past ten days had shown him that he truly missed Jinki, who had done him a lot of good. 

"Why did you get banished anyway?"

"Remember the time I used my powers after that diamond heist? I'm not supposed to use them here in the human world, but at that time, I knew what was more important. Don't look so upset, it really doesn't matter"

Jonghyun remembered that day as though it had just happened yesterday. Jinki had got himself in trouble just to save him, and he had blown up at him instead of thanking him. Truth be told, if it hadn't been for Jinki, Jonghyun would probably be in prison for theft.

"So now I have to spend the next three years right here and live as a human. I probably need to get a job soon, to manage the next few years. Would you believe I don't have my powers anymore? I'm just like you" 

Just like him. That wasn't what he had expected, but something about those words made him feel good. 

"You can stay with me if you like. I know the apartment isn't much, but its something familiar to you"

"Thank you, Jonghyun. I'd like that"

Now that they had an opportunity to start over, there were so many possibilities of how life would be from now on, and Jonghyun just couldn't wait to explore them. Tomorrow would be a new day bringing with it, hope. Hope that the two of them would actually become loyal friends. After all, Jinki did save him more than once, and it was up to him to return the favour by making the next three years comfortable for them. This time, Jinki would be able to experience life on his own, and Jonghyun had so much to show his fallen angel.