Chapter 2

His Fallen Angel

As usual, Jonghyun experienced quite a hard day at work. A computer programmer, he was considered one of the 'nerds' that people liked to pick on. Of course, they didn't shove him into lockers, but they instead tried to increase his work by dumping all of their workloads on him. Since he didn't want to face any repercussions, Jonghyun had always felt compelled into doing everything he was asked to. He even stopped carrying his lunch with him as he'd never get to eat any of it. No matter how things were supposed to have changed, it was still the 'jocks' against the so-called 'nerds'. Anyway, Jonghyun had something to look forward to once he got back home. He managed to complete the rest of his day without any skirmishes, which frankly, puzzled him quite a bit. Perhaps this was a sign that things were actually going to get much better for him from now on. After getting home and taking a relaxing bath, Jonghyun took out all the objects he would need: the candles, a quartz crystal, and a life-sized mannequin.

After placing the Angel board and the crystal on the table, Jonghyun set the mannequin on the side opposite to him and said a quick prayer. After all, he definitely didn't need to get possessed by some kind of freaky demon that would spin his head around. The rose quartz was supposed to bring in some loving energy, and the room was well lit, which he hoped would keep out anything negative. After lighting the candle which gave an additional level of illumination, he placed the hands of the mannequin onto the pointer before adding his own right on top. 

"I wish to speak to my guardian angel"

Even after waiting for some time, nothing happened. Guessing that he had either done something wrong, or the board didn't work, Jonghyun was ready to blow out the candle when something else happened. The pointer he was touching slowly moved to spell "Hello". Shocked that someone actually replied to him, but still intrigued to see if this was fake or real, Jonghyun continued to ask questions.

"Can you answer my questions?"

"Yes"

Thinking of the most ridiculous question he could ask, Jonghyun went right to it.

"Do you know who I am?"

"Yes"

"What is my name?"

"Jonghyun"

This seemed to be legitimate, as Jonghyun was sure this game wasn't pre-programmed. How could it know his name? Was this truly his Guardian Angel?

"What is your name?"

"Jinki"

Now that they were getting somewhere, Jonghyun continued to ask a few more harmless questions, when he saw the flames of the candle increase in height. Judging by the increasing breeze through the gap in the window, the opposite should have happened. Could it be that his Angel was trying something out? 

"May we speak tomorrow?"

"Yes. Goodbye"

Blowing out the candle, Jonghyun moved all of the items he used into a safer space. Now that he'd found out the name of the angel he had spoken to, he could call upon Jinki each time. As he slept peacefully, Jonghyun dreamed of being in a field filled with fragrant Sakura blossoms. Waking up with a smile on his face after ages, Jonghyun continued with his daily routine, looking forward to the evening when he would explore his newfound wonder once again. 

Stopping at the voodoo shop once more to pick up some essential oils, Jonghyun found his path blocked by the shop owner who looked at him with a hint of fear in her eyes.

"Did you use the board yesterday?"

"Yes, ma'am and it worked perfectly"

"Be careful to remain in control at all times. If you ever feel like you're losing control of the session, stop using the board"

"How can I stop? Do I just blow out the candle?"

"Thank the angel or spirit that you contacted. Be polite at all times"

"Thank you, I will"

Jonghyun left with this new piece of information and some frankincense oil, ready for what was to happen. Using the same candle as the previous day, Jonghyun poured a few drops of frankincense oil on it before lighting it, to keep the energy pure.

"I wish to speak to Jinki"

"Yes"

"Will I be promoted at work?"

"Yes"

"What can I do to be recognized for my efforts?"

"Revenge"

This conversation seemed to be moving into a higher plane than he'd expected, but Jonghyun still couldn't control his curiosity.

"Do you mean that I should take revenge on my enemies?"

"Yes"

"How do I do that?"

"Invite me"

"May we speak again later?"

"No"

"I hope we can speak next week"

"Invite me, invite me, invite me"

By this time, Jonghyun had figured out that there was definitely something wrong. Why would an angel want to be invited? 

"Let's speak later. Goodbye"

"No"

"Please leave"

"No"

This could only mean one thing, Jonghyun was no longer in control of the situation. Struggling to blow out the candle, which kept reigniting, he realized that he may have done something terribly wrong. As the angel seemed adamant on staying, Jonghyun could do nothing else but try to ask him more questions.

"I'm sorry for the way I acted. Will you forgive me?"

"Yes"

"What is my job?"

"Computer"

Jonghyun was already tired as this session had been even longer than the last one, but he knew he had to placate Jinki before ending it.

"Where do I work?"

"X Company"

"Can you keep me safe?"

"Yes"

The room began to get warm, fuelled by the light from the candle, and Jonghyun noticed a change in the way his room smelled. The sweet, woody scent of the frankincense changed into the bittersweet smell of Sakura blossoms which made Jonghyun recollect the dream he had.

"I can smell Sakura. Did you do that?"

"Yes"

"My dream....did you control what happened?"

"Yes"

"I slept well, thank you"

"Invite me"

It had begun again, and this time that request seemed to be more like a command.

"I cannot"

"Invite me"

The flame of the candle burned so brightly that Jonghyun felt his eyes start to burn. Knowing that his hands shouldn't leave the pointer, he held on, tight as the candle fell to the table and set the cloth on fire. He had no other choice.

"I....invite you"