A Friend

Waiting In The Clouds

When Chanyeol wakes up the next morning, a dull ache shoots up his head, causing him to groan. The alcohol from last night really took a toll on him, he can’t seem to remember anything.

 

He walks slowly to the dining area, and notices a bowl of soup with a lid on top of it. He grabs the sticky note next to the bowl,

 

‘Drink this soup and remember to take the pills for your hangover, Minjun and I are out grocery shopping.- Baekhyun’

 

He tosses the note to the side and digs in, the soup had a clear broth and was cooked with fresh cabbage, tofu and meat. He slurped the soup heartily, the seasoning was perfect and the chunks of meat slid off the bone so easily and was extremely tender. The warm soup was savoury, with a hint of sweetness from the vegetables. Chanyeol closed his eyes and savoured every bite, it has been so long since he had eaten food so….comforting. It was a difficult emotion to come across, as all his life it seems like he was simply his father’s heir, people respected him, but never came across to genuinely care for him.

 

Everything about this dish was undoubtedly made for Chanyeol. He hates meat, so Baekhyun picks out the drumsticks and wings. He hates spicy food, so Baekhyun makes a clear and non-spicy hangover soup, forgoing the red pepper paste. He hates greens, so Baekhyun uses soybean sprouts, the only vegetable he could tolerate. Chanyeol was surprised at how this meal suited him so perfectly, and so in a matter of minutes, he has cleared his bowl.

 

Unknown to him, Baekhyun woke up early that very morning knowing fully well that Chanyeol was definitely going to have a hangover. He prepares the soup followed by a clean up of the mess from yesterday. Minjun, as usual, eats his breakfast half asleep.

 

As Baekhyun places the bowl in the dining area before leaving, he hopes that this would be able to convey his gratitude for Chanyeol being nice to him this morning. Despite him being drunk, Baekhyun was still grateful for Chanyeol for not leaving him alone in the chaos that occured.

 

A few hours later Baekhyun and Minjun return with a few bags of groceries, little conversation is made and only eye contact is evident. From Chanyeol’s gestures, Baekhyun could tell that he was back to his old self, a little cold and distant. Well at least thanks to Minjun everything fell to a comfortable silence

 

The weekend passes by quickly, they get the door fixed, Baekhyun finishes up his projects, Chanyeol as usual splurging his money on unnecessary things. It is considerably a peaceful way to end the week.

 

——————

 

‘Students, for the next project form up into groups of three. Since it is the first project this semester I will allow everyone to choose their own group members.’ The professor announced the very first graded project of the semester, small talk and cheers start to go around on what to do and who to group with.

 

Baekhyun sighs as he looks at the other students walking over to their friends excitedly, he guesses that he will have to wait until everyone is settled before looking for a group with an available spot.

 

‘Hey, you’re Baekhyun right?’ A voice disturbs Baekhyun’s train of thought. He turns around and said man was looking at him with the most genuine smile.

 

‘Y-yes I am.’ Baekhyun responds. It’s his first normal interaction with another student! He hopes that he’s not here to mock him or something.

 

‘I really liked your ideas during lectures and I was thinking that it would be suitable for the theme of this project. Would you like to form a group?’

 

‘YES!’ Baekhyun stood up and shook his hand enthusiastically,thanking the man non stop. The heavens have blessed him with a group member and he was going to take this opportunity.

 

‘I’m Jong Dae by the way, Kim Jong Dae.’

 

‘Ah! Thank you Jongdae!’ Baekhyun said cheerfully, continuing to shake his hand, earning a chuckle from Jongdae.

 

He is so adorable. With that beaming smile, his small and warm hands enveloped in his own. Jongdae knew about the rumours that flew around the academy about Baekhyun, some are overly exaggerated while some are extremely convincing. But when he sees Baekhyun sat at the corner of the lecture hall scribbling diligently into his notebook every lesson, he immediately tosses away his negative perceptions towards the poor boy. And now with their first interaction he is certain this boy has a pure heart.

 

Jongdae finds an empty row and invites Baekhyun to sit with him. From there he introduces his Best Friend Kim Minseok who will also join their group. Minseok gives the cold shoulder as he is still wary towards Baekhyun, but nevertheless he hopes that they can get along well.

 

Afterwards they even invite him to sit together for lunch, and as they walked to the cafeteria, sharing heart laughs, the new friends knew that it was a good start to their friendship.

 

—- 

sorry for the short chapter! Have been busy lately and I’m travelling tomorrow heheh 

 

hopefully I will write nicer chapters in the future (^ω^)