Good Night

Waiting In The Clouds

“Hey, Baek! Congratulations.” Chanyeol passes the flowers to him, which Baekhyun immediately rejects.

 

“Yeol! I told you, I’m allergic to flowers.” Baekhyun frowns, starting to feel his nose itch. The tingling and irritating feeling in his nostrils was beginning to irk him.

 

“Oops, sorry!” Chanyeol quickly passes the red carnations to another parent, who seems thoroughly confused as to why a handsome man was suddenly giving her flowers.

 

“Come on, I have another surprise for you, Minjun and I planned it together for a few nights.” Chanyeol dragged Baekhyun along with him, Minjun walking in hurried steps to catch up with the two lovebirds.

“For me? Minjun...you already know how to keep a secret from your hyung? My baby brother is really growing up huh, you did so well just now!” Baekhyun complimented as Minjun wrapped his hands around Baekhyun’s neck, resting his head near his chest with a smile.

 

“Se-cret!”

 

As they walked out of the room, there were many parents with their children outside having a reception with the children huddled together playing games. Upon seeing the pretty Baekhyun hyung, all the children rushed forward to crowd around the male.

 

“Minjun, plway with us! Baewkhyun hyung too!”

 

The other children nodded in agreement, looking at the duo with pleading eyes.

 

“Sorry kids, we have somewhere to go to.” Chanyeol cut in, wanting to make it quick since he had made a reservation and did not want to be late.

 

“Who are you?” The children frowned at the tall man, who looked so cocky and arrogant with his sunglasses on.

 

“I’m your Baekhyun hyung’s boyfriend.” Chanyeol boasted with pride, erupting a giggle from Baekhyun. The children whined in disapproval, some looked ready to cry - they didn’t believe that Chanyeol was a good candidate.

 

“Baekwhyun hwyung, why did you choose mr giant? You are too pretty for him!”

 

“Yeah! Why?”

 

“Baekhwyun hyung, I can treat you bwetter!”

 

Chanyeol scoffed. Kids these days don’t know how to appreciate true beauty, it seems. Maybe he needs to speak with his grandmother to make some reforms in the way these children are being taught. Baekhyun isn’t helping either, he’s laughing so hard that his cheeks have turned a bright tinted red.

 

“Mr giant has a giant heart, that’s why I chose him. So everybody, be nice to each other okay? Remember to-”

 

“Baekhyun hyung chose Mr giant for his handsome looks too-” 

 

Chanyeol cut in once more, trying to convince these unimpressed toddlers that Baekhyun was attracted to his good looks as well, he was rated as one of the most handsome boys in his university, wasn’t he? Baekhyun quickly slaps a hand over Chanyeol’s mouth, that was enough ego boosting for the day.

 

“Maybe we should go-”

 

“Chanyweol hyung, the most handsome!” Minjun suddenly spoke up with confidence, scrunching up his nose the same way Baekhyun would when he was confident about something. 

 

“Thank you Minjun. Now, we should go. Indeed, Minjun is the smartest of them all...” Chanyeol walks proudly to his car with a smile, it really took one compliment from Minjun to settle the conflict. Baekhyun and Minjun wave to the other kids before following Chanyeol to his car.

 

-

 

“Yeol, where are we?”

 

“We’re here! At your surprise celebration,” Chanyeol runs in excitedly along with Minjun, the two have planned it for many nights, Baekhyun was genuinely curious as to what they had planned. It was their way of cheering up Baekhyun as well, since the boy was very obviously being pretty gloomy the past few days. They were standing in front of an italian restaurant that Chanyeol frequents at.

 

“Reservation under Park for three, I made a special reservation a few days ago.” Chanyeol goes up to the lady to get their seats, the moment the woman looks at the name list and recognizes the rich heir, her eyes widened and she quickly brought them to their seats.

 

“Right this way Mr Park, the set up has already been prepared .” The woman leads the three to their private room in the italian restaurant, which has been decorated nicely with fake flowers. Chanyeol would’ve been in big trouble again if they used fresh flowers instead.
 

Baekhyun awed at the decorations, they were the perfect pastel colour combination with hues of pink and white, and the best thing is that these flowers won’t make him sneeze like a madman.

 

“What is all this for?” Baekhyun chuckles as he takes a seat, the toddler already adjusted in his child-friendly chair, likewise enjoying the decorations.

 

“Minjun wanted to do something for Parents Day, he said that all his friends have surprises for their parents too, don’t they?” Chanyeol looked over to the toddler, who nodded in agreement. He wanted his hyung to have something special too.

 

“Minjun, why are you so cute? Even eating at home would have made me happy.” Baekhyun ruffles the toddler’s head, earning a giggle from the boy.

 

They ended up ordering pasta and pizza, Baekhyun had the honor of choosing the dishes because as the other two claim, it’s his day after all. Baekhyun doesn’t know if it’s because he’s happy, but the food tastes so good, plus the comfortable atmosphere put his mind at ease as well. 

 

They were about to finish their meals when a waitress comes in with something in her arms, making Baekhyun turn bright red in surprise.

 

“Mr Byun, we wish you a Happy Parents’ Day, Mr Park here has requested for us to prepare this for you.” The waitress passes the bouquet to Baekhyun, who gasps like a little child at the strawberry bouquet. Huge massive strawberries skewered on wooden sticks, bundled together to look like a bouquet, Baekhyun could never imagine himself receiving one of these.

 

“Ohmygod, my favourites!” Baekhyun pulled out one of the strawberries and popped it into his mouth, smiling cutely at the sweet taste.

 

“Straw-bwerries!”

 

“Minjun did you choose this? Thank you!” Baekhyun grinned at the toddler, not knowing that Chanyeol was smiling fondly at the brother duo. 

 

The waitresses seem to have mistaken the situation the moment one of them decided to speak up.

 

“Mr. Byun, you have such a loving husband and son. You must be very lucky to be celebrating Parents’ Day with them, it just shows how good of a father you are to your son.” One of the waitresses spoke with a polite smile, she seemed very happy for the family - to the point where Baekhyun and Chanyeol don’t have the heart to correct her.

 

“Little one, be good to your daddy, alright?” 

 

Minjun looked at the waitress with a blank stare, confused as to why the waitress was telling him to call his hyungs as his daddies. Baekhyun was blushing so badly that he wanted to punch Chanyeol in the face for putting him in such a situation - he was sitting in a restaurant with a flowery background and a strawberry bouquet in his hands, surrounded by women telling him how great of a father he is to his son. They’re making his brother terribly confused.

 

Chanyeol dabs his forehead with a towel as he watches the scene unfold before him, very clearly noticing the stern glare thrown to him by the small man. Especially when the women emphasise how lucky Baekhyun must be to have such a loving husband. Chanyeol is finally able to breathe and cools down once the waitresses leave, who unfortunately wished them once more and brought in a huge strawberry ice cream parfait as requested by Chanyeol.

 

Once the doors shut, Baekhyun interrogates Chanyeol with his dessert spoon, pointing it very sharply at the taller’s face.

 

“Park Chanyeol, explain to me what the hell was that? Why did they call me Minjun’s daddy? Was this part of the surprise?” Baekhyun whispered in a hushed tone, so that Minjun wouldn’t hear him swearing.

 

“T-There must be a misunderstanding, since I made a reservation specifying that it was a celebration for parents’ day, they must have thought straight away that we’re his parents.” Chanyeol chuckled nervously as he watches Baekhyun eat the parfait with a pout.

 

“Are you going to be responsible if Minjun thinks that I’m his dad instead? He’s only three, he can’t think of such complex things!”

 

“Baekwhyung hywung, my daddy?”

 

The moment those words slipped out of Minjun’s mouth, Chanyeol raised his hands in surrender as Baekhyun’s expression turned stormy.

 

“Park Chanyeol, you do the explaining. Now.”

 

Chanyeol could only nod as he quickly clarified the problem with the confused toddler. Baekhyun quietly eats his parfait on the side with a smile, it was fun to tease the taller. Chanyeol may not be good at surprises, but it sure did make Baekhyun so damn happy.

 

-

 

That night after the two college kids put the toddler to bed, they get started on their project assignments in the living room, sitting right next to each other on the large table. Baekhyun busies himself doing sketches, while Chanyeol is drawing up charts for his presentation. There were still a few strawberries left from the bouquet, so Baekhyun pops one into his mouth occasionally.

 

“Yeol.” The smaller suddenly spoke up, while his eyes were still concentrated on his drawings.

 

“Hmm?” Chanyeol hums, likewise focused on his laptop.

 

“I was thinking about what you said last week...when you said I should focus on the people who truly care for me,” Baekhyun spoke softly as he grabbed an eraser to fine tune his sketches. “You were right, I did feel a lot happier this week since I decided to not think so much about the past and focus more on the present. Today was like the cherry on top, I enjoyed myself very much.” Baekhyun smiles as Chanyeol pauses from his laptop to look at him, before wrapping him in a tight hug.

 

“I’m so proud of you, Baekhyunnie. Do you know that? You are going to do such amazing things later in life, I’m sure of it.” Chanyeol squishes Baekhyun’s cheeks, making the man look like a bread roll. Baekhyun giggles and pulls the man’s hands away, and proceeds to massage his cheeks.

 

“When I graduate, I want to be a fashion designer and release my own line. Promise me that you’ll be there to see it?”

 

“Of course, Baek. I’ll make sure to be your number one supporter till the end of time.”

 

Baekhyun chuckles and pecks Chanyeol quickly on the lips before quickly grabbing his pencil and pretending as if nothing had happened. Chanyeol is surprised at the smaller’s speed, it was so fast that he didn’t even get to enjoy it.

 

“Come here, you, that was too short!”

 

“Ah, Chanyeol! Mmph-”

 

Before Baekhyun could even react, Chanyeol has already forgotten about his powerpoint slides, and proceeded to kiss him tenderly.

 

A good night, indeed.