Tired

Waiting In The Clouds

‘Baekhyun!!!! Byun Baekhyun!!!!’ Chanyeol hollered across the first floor. He was getting ready for a date today and the mess in his room was not doing any good for him. His clothes were piled up like a mountain, different pieces of clothing (probably worth an entire fortune) stacked on top of one another to form a dome-shaped masterpiece in his master bedroom.

 

Baekhyun ran quickly to Chanyeol’s room the moment he heard his name. It has been two weeks since he started working here, he decides that his affiliation with Chanyeol is strictly formal. The last time he walked over to Chanyeol’s room it did not go so well. He was accused of being lazy and unmotivated. Anyone who knows Baekhyun would know that he is the opposite-he gives his all in everything he does. Baekhyun despises being wronged, so he vowed to work even harder to prove his worth.

 

When he reached Chanyeol’s room, he took a breath and panted. Beads of sweat stuck onto his forehead.

 

‘Sir, May I know what’s the problem?’

 

‘Look around you Byun. This room is a huge mess, I have a date in twenty minutes and I can’t see my Balenciaga sneakers anywhere. Now can you use your eyes and see the damn problem?’

 

Baekhyun was dumbfounded, and embarrassed. To even pronounce Balenciaga was difficult for him, a brand so foreign to him given how he never shopped for branded goods. But he remembers seeing a certain pair of shoes with this wording on it.

 

‘Sir, if I remember correctly I have placed it on the first shelf in your shoe cabinet. The one with the grey base and white detailing, if I’m correct.’ Baekhyun, being a fashion student, has a sharp eye for detail.

 

‘It’s not there.’ Chanyeol flatly replied. It’s one of his games again which always gives Baekhyun a terrible migraine, he doesn’t know what Chanyeol will do to him next.

 

‘I-I’m sure i-it was there, s-sir.’ Baekhyun stuttered. He was sure he had placed them there. Chanyeol was creative with his punishments, he was scared.

 

‘5 minutes. If you don’t come to the main entrance by 5 minutes with my pair of shoes, you know what happens.’

 

Chanyeol smirked, before leaving for the door. Baekhyun knew exactly what Chanyeol was talking about, he had constantly bragged about sending complaints to the chairwoman if baekhyun did not fulfil his tasks. It was an impressive Blackmail, Baekhyun wants to show the chairwoman how grateful he is for taking him in, not to disappoint her!

 

Baekhyun’s heart palpitated, he immediately got to work to search for the pair of shoes. After going through multiple piles of clothing, he finally finds the pair of shoes wrapped in a leather jacket and made a dash for the door.

 

Chanyeol stands at the main entrance looking at his watch.

 

‘Byun Baekhyun, you took 4 minutes and 50 seconds.’

 

Baekhyun sighed in relief, he made it!

 

No meals for today.

 

Wait, what?

 

Baekhyun paled. He was not expecting this at all. Chanyeol smirked at his pathetic and pitiful facial expression.

 

‘I was actually being generous, 4 minutes and 50 seconds rounded up is 5 minutes. So you were technically late. Be grateful that I spared your brother, I’m not so terrible to starve him. You should stay in your room and think about your mistakes.’

 

Chanyeol walked out of the house and into his black Maserati, not even wearing the shoes Baekhyun brought out. It was another terrible day out of many terrible days for baekhyun, his small frame turned back into the house, his fingers red from rummaging through Chanyeol’s wardrobe intensively.

 

——

‘Hyun! Bubble!’

 

Minjun was currently having a bubble bath. His speech is getting better, he’s almost ready to call Baekhyun ‘Hyung’! The tub was filled with bubbles made from strawberry soap, baekhyun had his own fair share of fun by giving Minjun a bubble beard.

 

‘Is it fun? Minjun ah?’ Baekhyun cooed.

 

Minjun is one, or maybe the only, person who has kept him going. Minjun is there for his darkest times, always making sure to flash a grin to his lovely Hyung. It comforts him to know that someone still cares about him, even if that person is still barely able to speak.

 

Minjun thrashed and swam in the bubble water, they both had a good laugh. It was these little moments that Baekhyun treasures most. Minjun splashed in the tub for a while more before calling it a night.

 

Minjun enjoys sleeping on Baekhyun’s chest, it was like how a baby kangaroo would climb into its’ mother’s pouch. To Minjun, Baekhyun’s chest was like a warm and safe pillow, he liked nuzzling his face deep into Baekhyun’s shirt to become more comfortable. Therefore Baekhyun has made it a habit to rock Minjun to sleep every night while carrying him. It usually takes about 10 minutes, maybe more if Minjun is sick.

 

Finally Minjun falls asleep, Baekhyun puts him gently in the middle of the queen sized bed, with pillows surrounding him and a plush toy in his grip. He grins as he sees Minjun’s peaceful sleeping face, his chest rising with every breath he takes.

 

He quickly walks to his wardrobe, opening his secret stash of snacks. His stomach growled heavily, he had not eaten anything since breakfast thanks to Chanyeol. He found a red bean jelly snack that he bought at the convenience store and immediately unwrapped it to gobble it down. The feeling of having food in his stomach comforted him only slightly, but it was better than nothing.

 

After showering he grabs his ragged copy of his favourite romance novel ‘Somebody To Love’ and took a seat on the bed next to sleeping Minjun. Baekhyun received the book back when his neighbour was planning on throwing it away. Ever since then, he has never stopped reading this book, he poured over it so many times to the point where the edges are wearing out, the pages folded.

 

The Novel is about the hopeless protagonist looking for love. With the twist of fate, he ends up finding true love and had his happy ending. Baekhyun giggled and jumped at his favourite scenes, he was a er for cliches.

 

Upon finishing the book (again), he Minjun’s hair softly, it was smooth against his skin. Re-reading the book made him think about his life. It was one of those times when he would sink deep into his thoughts and overthink. His life seemed too imperfect, he would never be able to find his love like the protagonist did. Thinking about Chanyeol, he doubts that he would ever have a chance of a happy ending. That man talks like he could make Baekhyun’s life even worse.

 

He hears crashes coming from the main door, it was probably Chanyeol again. Baekhyun imagines the mess he has to clean up tomorrow, probably shattered glass, lipstick stains and spilled alcohol.

 

Baekhyun teared up, he continued Minjun’s hair for comfort and held him even tighter. He went to sleep with tear stains on his face and a half empty stomach.

 

When will this end? Minjun-ah, I’m tired.