Cinderella

Waiting In The Clouds

It was a brand new day. Baekhyun and Minjun have to wake up extra early today because it was Minjun’s first day of preschool, and Baekhyun’s first day at University. The thought of going back to school and socialising worried him, he barely made a single friend in high school due to his workload.

 

Baekhyun never had the chance to make any friends because if he wasn’t studying he’ll be taking care of Minjun. If he wasn’t taking care of Minjun he would be at his part time job. His schedule was a never ending cycle of work, which is why his classmates never bothered with him.

 

‘All that Baekhyun does is work, work and work. He’s no fun.’

 

Heck, even if he had the time, he wouldn’t be able to keep up with his classmates interests. They had the latest video games, watched all kinds of shows on Netflix and attended concerts all the time. Baekhyun could never afford such entertainment, it made him feel so out of place, like an old man in a room full of babies.

 

Baekhyun snaps out of his thoughts, and wakes up Minjun who is sleeping on top of his chest.

 

‘Minjun ah, it’s time to wake up. It’s preschool day!’ Baekhyun tries his best to be as gentle as possible, Minjun is fuzzy when he’s half-awake.

 

Minjun whines, fists tightening on Baekhyun’s shirt (Since he can’t speak yet, it means five more minutes). Baekhyun smiles and carries him to the bathroom to wash up.

 

While Minjun eats his breakfast, face immersed deeply into his bowl of cornflakes, Baekhyun quickly prepares Chanyeol’s breakfast. Chanyeol is an extremely picky eater, with somewhat child-like tastebuds (He realises after chanyeol keeps leaving the greens untouched in his food). Baekhyun whips up some hash browns with strawberry toast with bacon strips before pasting a sticky note ‘Chanyeol’s breakfast’ on top. He could only hope that chanyeol won’t throw his food out like he previously did before.

 

Baekhyun and Minjun soon leave for the door. Minjun is in his adorable new uniform with his yellow bucket hat. Baekhyun tried his best to dress up as well but there was little he could do with the few clothes he had. He ended up choosing a slightly ragged sweater with a pair of jeans, and a pair of sneakers which was slightly rough around the edges.

 

As they arrive to the preschool, Baekhyun could easily tell that the preschool was for the riches. The playground had an impressive spread of rides, and the classrooms were extremely well equipped. Baekhyun believes that Minjun will have a great time here.

 

Minjun being a good boy that he is gave Baekhyun a thumbs up,

 

‘Hyun! Work har-d! Jun-ie good boy’ Minjun assures Baekhyun before walking into his new classroom.

 

Baekhyun patted Minjun’s head and kissed his cheek before waving at Minjun. For a child barely two, Baekhyun was impressed at how Minjun could be so obedient. He looks over to the other preschoolers, crying for their Mothers. However, as he was leaving, he noticed that some mothers sending off their children are eyeing him suspiciously.

 

He hears them whisper

 

‘Who is he?’

 

‘I heard there is a new kid coming today, could he possible be...?’

 

‘Where is the child’s Mother?’

 

Despite being slightly uncomfortable, Baekhyun tried to shrug it off and headed for Seoul academy.

 

 

Seoul academy is undoubtedly an institute for the riches too. Not only do students have to be smart, but they also need to have commendable backgrounds as well. People have tried to bribe their way in, using ridiculous ways to enter the academy. This is how overrated the academy is. Baekhyun never expected himself to enter this prestigious University in this life.

 

As Baekhyun walked into the school, he notices sports cars aligned in the college car park, cars that were always raved about on tv. What shocked him was the fact that there were students coming out from the cars, such opulence! (Baekhyun owns a second-hand bicycle, the wheels a little rusty, so yes - he’s shook rn)

 

Everyone was dressed impeccably. Some students were carrying lamb-skin leather bags, others wearing custom made pieces sewn thread by thread. This made baekhyun feel even smaller, as students eyed his clothing choices and wondered where he came from.

 

Ironically, the one who wears the most ordinary clothes stands out the most.

 

Suddenly, Baekhyun hears screams from the entrance of the academy.

 

‘AHHH! It’s Park Chanyeol!’ Girls screamed and ran as they saw the male, who was wearing a rich navy blue button-up that perfectly showed off his well-built figure. He gave them a polite smile, waving them off as he walked into the school. As he made eye contact with Baekhyun, his eyes immediately turned into a glare.

 

Still, the girls swooned, Chanyeol was such a manly man! They thought.

 

Baekhyun scoffed at the sight. Were those girls blind? Chanyeol is far from what he seems! He’s an in the house who does not clean up after himself! He pouted as he thought of facing Chanyeol at home later, it sent shivers to his pale white skin.

 

The bell rings, and announcements are made for the undergraduates to gather in the auditorium. They are then sorted based on their different faculties (Baekhyun: school of fashion, Chanyeol: school of Business administration).

 

As Baekhyun entered his first lecture, eyes were on him and people were whispering again.

 

‘Does he belong here? What is he wearing!’

 

‘I didn’t know ragged sweaters were in trend.’

 

‘He looks so small, like a girl!’

 

‘Hey, do you think he’ll be easy?’

 

It seems that rumours do fly real fast. Almost everyone in the lecture hall knows about Baekhyun and his ordinary attire. But it shocks him how some of these students are so-called the best students in the whole of Seoul, yet they are so immature and insensitive with their words.

 

Baekhyun shrinks into a corner seat, isolated from the rest of the students. He reminded himself that he was here to study, not only for his future, but for Minjun’s as well. He had to focus.

 

——

 

Lunchtime came and all the students dashed for the cafeteria, everyone wanted to try the food which was deemed ‘Best School Food’ by food critics. Baekhyun sighed as he was the last one to leave, he slowly put his stationery back into his backpack before leaving for the cafeteria.

 

The chairwoman was kind enough to give Baekhyun a coupon card so that he could buy his school meals and other school necessities. He was amazed at the large array of food available. Chinese, Korean, Western, Japanese. The cafeteria was literally a buffet! Cuisines from all over the world, they even had dessert - now Baekhyun understood why.

 

Just as he was about to order his food, he hears someone shout.

 

‘Hey, maid! Get me my lunch!’ Chanyeol shouts, making eye contact with Baekhyun.

 

Baekhyun’s eyes widen, his cheeks flushed. This could not be happening, Park Chanyeol was calling him a maid out of all derogatory names. He was a man for god’s sakes! The cafeteria froze, wondering who popular kid Chanyeol was referring to.

 

‘Hey! The one in that ugly blue sweater, did you forget your job?’ Chanyeol teased, he arched his brows, arms folded to assert his dominance.

 

Everyone turned to look at Baekhyun. Realisation seemed to dawn on them. No wonder this dude with an ugly blue sweater got in, he’s Park Chanyeol’s maid!

 

Baekhyun, having been humiliated enough, scurried to the food table to collect Chanyeol’s lunch. The starts picking food he thinks chanyeol would like: kimchi fried rice with cheese, no carrots. With a side of hamburger patties and mashed potatoes. Not forgetting the very important packet of Apple juice which Chanyeol demands for every meal. He walks over to Chanyeol’s table uncomfortably, four pairs of eyes staring back at him, excluding Chanyeol who is sitting down, being a and waiting to be served.

 

After he placed Chanyeol’s food on the table, he stood there awkwardly, fiddling his hands. He looked at Chanyeol pitifully in the eyes, hoping it would somehow send a signal

 

Stop, please.’

 

Chanyeol patted his back.

 

‘Good job, maid!’

 

The whole cafeteria laughed along with Chanyeol, totally ignoring the fact that they were all bullying a harmless and genuine boy. Everyone wanted to be on Park Chanyeol’s good side, hence they strip away their sense of morality and see Baekhyun as the new outcast. People don’t even try to understand who he is, and that frustrates him the most.

 

Game #2: Make Baekhyun an outcast in school, as unwelcome as possible.

 

Baekhyun tried to keep his tears in, the word ‘maid’ and the snickering echoed in his head. His attempt failed after all. He hurriedly took his food before trying to search for a table.

 

Everyone seemed to have already made their own friends, every table was occupied. Baekhyun tried to look for anyone who looked like they did not mind him, but the moment their eyes landed on Baekhyun, their bodily gestures meant:

 

‘Go away, we don’t want you here.’

 

Baekhyun ends up bringing his lunch to the toilet. It was a lot cleaner and more spacious as compared to the cubicles back in high school, so he considers himself lucky.

 

As he eats his meal, finally in peace, he could only sigh at what’s to come. He’s locked up in a cubicle, eating his meal pathetically, whereas everyone was out in the campus having fun. He doubts he can enjoy himself in the school now since people can’t stop glaring at him. He could only hope that some miracle will happen.

 

Feels an awful lot like Cinderella, doesn’t it?