Chairwoman

Waiting In The Clouds

The chairwoman requested her driver to drive her to the same location again, where she often sees Baekhyun working.

 

They arrive at Seoul market, a popular food market in South Korea. Her eyes travel to Baekhyun sitting in a corner outside a restaurant peeling vegetables, looking at Minjun imitating his actions on a baby stool.

 

The Chairwoman’s eyes softened at the scene. The two brothers were getting along well, and that warmed her heart. She sees Baekhyun, still with that perennial gentle expression on his face, smiling at Minjun’s every move. It reminds her of a time a year ago when she had bumped into the two, Baekhyun’s kindness moved her and she promised that she would meet the two again one day.

 

A year ago

The chairwoman decided to take a day off for herself. She was having one of those days when she gets sick of doing administrative work and meetings. The chairwoman had been craving for tteok (Korean rice cake) for a Long time. She decides to visit the local market, taking public transport like a regular.

 

It’s been ages since she last took the bus, it seems that the new bus routes are getting more complicated. She tried to ask someone for assistance but everyone seemed to be intimidated by her fierce eyes and bold figure. At that moment, a teenage boy with a chubby baby in his arms came to her with the most gentle and soothing voice.

 

‘Ma’am, where are you heading to? I will try my best to help!’ The boy’s face was glowing, resembling a rice cake. The chairwoman resisted the urge to poke his  face, like a typical grandma would do to their grandchildren.

 

However, upon making eye contact with Baekhyun, she could easily see the years of pain and suffering that the boy had gone through. This made the chairwoman doubt that everything she sees is not what it seems, and it is quite a painful sight, she realises later on.

 

The chairwoman told baekhyun about her intended location.

 

‘I’m heading there too for work! Let’s go together ma’am.’ Baekhyun guided the chairwoman, making  her feel extremely welcomed, (her heart has not fluttered like that for a long time) and they hopped onto the bus together. It wasn’t everyday that someone would speak casually to the Chairwoman, everyone she knew spoke to her formally and in fear.

 

‘Flu-ffy!’ Minjun called out as he pulled a chunk of the chairwoman’s hair. Baekhyun’s eyes widened, as he quickly removed his hands from the chairwoman’s hair.

 

‘Who are you calling fluffy young man?!’ The chairwoman scowled, with a hint of playfulness in her voice. The baby giggled, and continued pulling at the her hair.

 

As they reached the market, Baekhyun brought the chairwoman to the best tteok stall in the market, and they finally parted ways. The Chairwoman looked at Baekhyun from afar, walking slowly so that Minjun could keep up to his pace. She grew fond of Baekhyun in that short amount of time, and has continued keeping an eye on them till today.

 

Present

‘Mrs Park, our investigator reports that the child has turned two recently, while Baekhyun will turn nineteen in May.’ Mrs Park’s assistant, Mr Kim speaks.

 

‘Minjun is so cute, isn’t he?’ The chairwoman says fondly (a rarity, given how stoic and aggressive the chairwoman can be), ‘You said they live alone, correct?’ She says

 

‘Yes, and their living conditions are rather poor. I have their unpaid bill information.’ Mr Kim reports.

 

‘Set me up for a meeting with these two next week, I have an offer for them.’

 

————————————————————————————————————


 

‘Do you know how to change his diaper?’ The headmistress asked Baekhyun sternly.

 

‘Yes ma’am’

 

‘You’ve been looking after this boy since infancy?’

 

‘Yes...our parents are out out of the picture.’ Baekhyun continued.

 

‘She-eep! Flu-ffy she-eep.’ Minjun pointed out excitedly, referring to the Chairwoman’s head full of grey curls.

 

‘Who are you calling sheep?! I’m human!!’ The chairwoman retorted, but Minjun looked away, feigning ignorance and giggling away.

 

‘I’m sorry ma’am! Minjun has been learning new words lately.’ Baekhyun flushed, covering Minjun’s mouth, he hoped he was not making a bad impression.

 

——

 

Baekhyun honestly did not know how he ended up here. It all started when a man by the name of Mr Kim knocked on his door and introduced himself as the secretary to the Chairwoman of Seoul Academy just this morning, and after reviewing Baekhyun’s college entrance examination results, he was nominated by the board of directors for a scholarship. (a very interesting scholarship indeed)

 

Mr Kim gave him 10 minutes to get ready, he immediately packed his belongings along with Minjun’s and they rushed out of the house. The only appropriate attire Baekhyun could find was his old school attire, while Minjun was dressed in his favourite anpanman pyjamas which hugged his chubby arms and legs.

 

Mr Kim chauffeured them to the Chairwoman’s office, and now they’re here. Baekhyun was trying not to pee his pants, while Minjun is busy pointing at different items in the office.

 

——

The headmistress whispered  something to her assistant. Slamming her hands onto her desk, she pointed at Baekhyun with a strict tone.

 

‘Give-and-take is the law of this world! Every man must work for his daily bread! In exchange for free tuition, you will work in the Park household until you graduate.

 

While the chairwoman was fond of Baekhyun, she still has a reputation of a strict and firm chairwoman that she needs to uphold. She also wanted to make sure to get her point across to Baekhyun, for him to take this rare opportunity seriously.

 

Little Minjun got a shock from the change in tone, and cuddled even closer to Baekhyun’s chest with his tiny fists wrapped around his neck. Baekhyun holds him closer and pats him on the back, assuring him that everything’s okay.

 

Weighing the pros and cons of the offer, Baekhyun realised that it is generally a pretty remarkable offer. He will get to major in fashion, something he has dreamed of since being a kid, and Minjun will be enrolled into a well-known preschool affiliated to Seoul Academy.

 

After considering for a few mins, Baekhyun looked up to the Chairwoman,

 

‘We will take up your offer. Thank you so much for this generous opportunity. I will not disappoint you!’ Baekhyun bowed to the Chairwoman and Mr Kim, and made Minjun bow like him by tilting his head 90 degrees.

 

‘I’m glad you made the right decision, because we will be taking care of this too.’

 

Just as the chairwoman finished speaking, Mr Kim placed a thick pile of letters on the table. Baekhyun soon realised those letters belonged to him, they were all the utility fees and rental bills that he is still trying to pay for. He is constantly late on payment as the money he earned was still insufficient for the both of them.

 

‘Ma’am! This is too much!! You have given me free tuition, a new home and an amazing learning environment for Minjun, I will forever be in your debt.’ Baekhyun bowed continuously, he couldn’t believe how generous the chairwoman was.

 

‘Don’t worry Baekhyun, just do well in school and work diligently for my grandson.’ The Chairwoman patted Baekhyun on his back. What Baekhyun didn’t know is that the chairwoman has given him an extremely difficult task.

 

Nobody has ever been able to work diligently for Park Chanyeol. All of them gave up and quit in a time frame ranging from one week to three months. Nobody could bear him for longer than that.

 

Chanyeol was like an undefeatable warrior, nobody could match up with his crazy antics.

 

And Baekhyun is about to become his next victim.

 

—————————-

 Here’s a filler chapter to get the plot going, we will see baekhyun and chanyeol very soon! And thanks for reading :)) I hope it’s not too Long-winded :3