Better Life

Waiting In The Clouds

 

Three years later 

 

The road to a better life. That was what Chanyeol had promised Baekhyun when they were still freshmen in college. Now that they were in their final year, Baekhyun must admit, he has never felt so alive. These few years have treated him well, he had so much fun in school, sometimes going for class gatherings and karaokes. Minjun was growing up fine too, the little boy is now five.

 

Chanyeol had been nothing short of amazing too. Baekhyun couldn’t believe that the man he once thought of as cocky and arrogant, is now the most supportive and caring boyfriend that he could ask for.

 

“Chanyeol…” 

 

The two were cooped up in the study room, focusing on their individual final year projects. Their graduation was around the corner, just one final submission and they will be free.

 

“What’s up, cupcake?” Chanyeol paused from whatever he was typing, walking over to the very troubled and pouty Baekhyun.

 

“What do you think of this colour combination? I feel like it’s lacking something…” Baekhyun taps his pencil against his cheek. He’s been thinking hard about what colours to use for his designing project, but they all felt a little...imperfect.

 

“Hmm,” After being together for a few years, Chanyeol had become an expert in design as well. He had experienced being Baekhyun’s mannequin and source of both inspiration and advice.

 

“What about adding some teal to the sleeves? It contrasts really well with this one.”

 

Baekhyun straightens up in his seat, as if awoken by Chanyeol’s idea. Yeah, why didn’t he think of this before?

 

“Babe! You’re a genius! I love you.” Baekhyun pulls Chanyeol closer for a peck on the cheek before going back to doing his work. Chanyeol chuckles and stands there for a while, observing Baekhyun’s delicate sketches before going back to his own report.

 

Submission day finally arrives, Chanyeol simply had to drop off his report at the office and then he’s officially a graduate, but for Baekhyun, he has a showcase at the arts gallery alongside all the other design students. Chanyeol decided that he’ll visit since he’s officially a free bird.

 

-

 

Baekhyun smiles and bows once more to another group of guests who have asked about his work. He was surprised that his designs were receiving a lot of attention, even his professors have come up to compliment him on the good work done. Baekhyun wanted to cry tears of joy at the praises, all those nights of planning and sketching have paid off after all.

 

“Your work obviously stood out from the rest for a reason, you are so privileged to have many resources.”

 

Baekhyun turns his head to see Seo Hyun staring at his designs. He hiccups a little, because this woman is pretty intimidating.

 

“Seo Hyun, I don’t get what you mean?”

 

The girl simply rolls her eyes, but flips her hair to speak again. 

 

“I’m saying, when you have the whole Park family supporting you, there is no way you can fail! You stupid gold digger, don’t act like you don’t know! All this success does not belong to you, it belongs to them!”

 

Seo Hyun’s voice is pretty damn loud, Jongdae and Minseok who were nearby could hear it.

 

“Baek, are you okay? Baek?” Jongdae asks, concerned. Baekhyun looked so pale and stunned.

 

“Seo Hyun, off. Just because you didn’t get that many name cards today doesn’t mean that you should go around hurting others. Reflect on your own work, will you?” Minseok was so angry that he just exploded. It’s not easy to make Minseok angry, he was the nicest guy in the faculty.

 

Seo Hyun frowns at the insult before walking away angrily, but the two friends were so concerned about Baekhyun that they didn’t even care how Seo Hyun reacted. 

 

“Baekhyun, don’t listen to her. She’s just jealous.”

 

Baekhyun knows not to believe what she said. But, what if it’s true?

 

It wasn’t just Seo Hyun, even some of his classmates had come up to him to say the same thing. The few rotten apples of the faculty, all they have to say are bad things.

 

“Hey, aren’t you that Park Chanyeol’s boyfriend? How much did his family pay for you to be on the dean’s list? Aha!”

 

“They paid a famous designer to help you with this...didn’t they?”

 

Baekhyun feels queasy at some of the comments. Beyond the artwork, it seems that some of them only looked at money.

 

“Give me a minute, I need to head to the washroom. The showcase is almost over right? We can leave together after.” Baekhyun gave his best smile to Jongdae and Minseok once they had their quick break, and soon he’s already dashing for the men’s room.

 

All this success does not belong to you, it belongs to them!

 

Baekhyun doesn’t know what to believe anymore. Seo Hyun’s words had hurt him very much. They can’t be true - he had put in so much effort these years, raised his little brother all on his own. He was not a gold digger.

 

This label had suffocated him so much all this while, it almost made him sick. He just hopes that everyone could just stop calling him that.

 

If not, he’ll start believing it too.

-

 

Chanyeol arrives at the art gallery, he was a little late because he went to pick Minjun up so that they could go see Baekhyun’s art show together. The child was so excited to get out of school early, his eyes literally twinkled the moment he saw Chanyeol outside the gates of the preschool.

 

“Minjun, later when your Baekhyun hyung shows you his designs, what do you say?”

 

“Congratulations! It is the most beautiful work that I’ve seen! Baekhyun hyung, you are a genius!”

 

Chanyeol laughed happily at how Minjun memorized what he said word for word. A few years into Minjun’s preschool life, the teachers have realized that the boy had a gift for memorizing. There was a time when Minjun would recount out loud a romantic conversation that Chanyeol and Baekhyun had to his classmates in school, and that was probably the time when the couple realized that they really need to be more discreet.

 

It wasn’t a good feeling to see your brother’s teacher talk about your romantic endeavours.

 

“Minjun look! This is your hyung’s work.”

 

The two looked in awe at the wall of art - sketches, colour palettes, and all sorts of frills and fancies. They both knew that Baekhyun had spent months on this project, and to see it all come together was so beautiful. Chanyeol felt proud, seeing that the colour combination he had recommended was right before his eyes.

 

He might be biased because Baekhyun is his boyfriend, but among all the designs here, he thinks that Baekhyun’s work looked the best.

 

It’s difficult to explain, but there’s this flair that is just so unique, and so intriguing as well.

 

But speaking of which, where is Baekhyun?

 

“Chanyeol!”

 

Chanyeol turns his head to see Jongdae and Minseok, both with worried faces. Chanyeol frowns, something must have gone wrong.

 

“We’ll take care of Minjun from here. Baekhyun has been in the washroom for quite some time, check on him please.”

 

Chanyeol quickly nods and dashes for the nearby washroom, a thousand thoughts run through his head - who had hurt his baby?

 

Chanyeol opens the door, and low and behold, he hears some sniffling from one of the cubicles.

 

“Baek, babe? Are you in there?”

 

“C-Chanyeol?”

 

“Let me in, tell me what’s wrong.” Chanyeol knocks gently. 

 

Chanyeol hears some shuffling before the door slowly creaks, revealing a teary eyed Baekhyun with a few crumpled tissues in his hands.

 

“Oh, baby, who did this to you? What happened?” Chanyeol immediately grabs the smaller for a hug and rubs his back soothingly. Baekhyun hides his face in Chanyeol’s neck and sniffles.

 

“I just feel like ,” Baekhyun mumbles.

 

“Tell me, we have time.” 

 

“I had spent so much time working on this project, you know it Yeol. And some people came up to me, on the most important day of my college life, to say that I don’t deserve it. That everything I had achieved today was all thanks to the Parks. I just hate being misunderstood, y’know?”

 

Chanyeol hugs the boy even tighter. Baekhyun had never been one to start conflict or to cause trouble for others. He arrived at college hoping for a fresh start, free from the problems that his parents had caused, but why did some people still like to tamper with the soft hearted nature of Baekhyun’s heart?

 

“Baek, I’m so sorry that this happened to you. But remember, this is all you, okay? All my grandmother did was to put you on scholarship and give you accomodation. The rest of it, it was all your own effort. Don’t believe people who say that our family bribed people to boost your portfolio, everything you achieved is thanks to you.”

 

Chanyeol plants a kiss on Baekhyun’s forehead.

 

“Chanyeollie, thanks.”

 

The road to a better life - Baekhyun should know that he is worth much more than what people say.

-

 

“Hyung! I loved your design! It was the best!”

 

Baekhyun squealed once he saw his little brother running up to him with some fake flowers, he immediately picked him up and kissed his chubby cheeks. Jongdae and Minseok sigh in relief seeing that Baekhyun is fine, Chanyeol gives a subtle thumbs up from behind.

 

“Did you really like it? You have to tell your hyung the truth…”

 

With the sight of Minjun, all of Baekhyun’s exhaustion from the day just washes away so quickly. He was looking forward to bedtime - what’s better than sleeping under the thick blankets on a winter night with a chubby toddler next to you?

 

“Chanyeol, it to be you man, Minjun will forever be number one in Baekhyun’s heart.” Jongdae commented as they headed to a nearby restaurant for dinner. 

 

Jongdae, Minseok and Chanyeol could only stare as the two brothers laughed and sang as they walked ahead.

 

“Yeah, that’s why I’m planning to propose.”

 

“Ehhhh????”