I am [angry]

I AM [Stray Kids Hogwarts AU one shot series SEASON 2]

(Double update because tbh I forgot to update I am [tired] here and only did it on ao3 like two weeks ago so y'all get two at once!)

Is this... Seungjin??? Wow it's been so long since I posted something that wasn't 90% Renjun and Jisung lmao (I'm sorry, I just love them so much). I missed these two and I hope you did too because here's 7k of Seungjin!!

WARNING: use of bigoted wizard-terms, discrimination against muggleborn people, domestic violence, terrible parenting

 

“Did you hear? We’re getting a new Charms teacher...”

“Really? What happened to Professor Flitwick?”

“Apparently, he’s sick or something.”

“That would explain why he was so pissy over the past few weeks...”

The news of Professor Flitwick’s sudden departure had spread like wildfire. Seungmin had been surprised to hear that he would practically be getting a new house teacher but as long as they knew what they were doing regarding Charms, he’d be fine.

“Are you glad you got Professor Flitwick off your back?” Seungmin asked Hyunjin when they were enjoying the first warm day of the year out by the lake on Thursday afternoon.

“Well, I’m not glad he got sick but maybe the new Charms teacher will cut me some slack,” Hyunjin said, grinning sheepishly.

“You did improve a lot though,” Seungmin assured him, absent-mindedly playing with Hyunjin’s fingers.

“All thanks to you, my love. Maybe this teacher will give me a shot,” Hyunjin replied. “Thanks for being my tutor, darling.”

Seungmin smiled and leaned in to kiss him. Hyunjin placed his hand on Seungmin’s cheek, smiling into the kiss. Seungmin surprised Hyunjin by pulling him down on top of him so they were lying in the grass.

“You’re getting bold, my love. Where is my shy baby from last year?” Hyunjin asked teasingly.

“You tainted that boy,” Seungmin answered, briefly reconnecting their lips. “Remember Halloween–”

Hyunjin cut his boyfriend off by kissing him again. It was probably not wise to talk about Halloween in the middle of the day and out in public. “Don’t forget who tainted whom,” he muttered against Seungmin’s lips.

Someone cleared their throat, making them jump apart and sit up. Hyunjin’s blood had run cold at the sound. He knew that voice all too well and it hadn’t been the first time she had caught him and Seungmin in a compromising position.

“M-mother...” Hyunjin stammered. “Why are you here?”

He prayed to whatever higher power that she was only here for brief school-related ministry business and that she would be on her way to London by tonight.

“I will be filling in for Professor Flitwick from now on. At least until the end of the school year,” she said, crushing Hyunjin’s hope and confirming his worst assumptions.

Hyunjin got up to his feet, mumbling an “excuse me” to Seungmin. “Can I speak to you for a second?” he then addressed his mother. They moved a few steps away and Hyunjin faced her, frowning. “What are you up to?”

“I don’t really care for your tone,” Hyunjin’s mother answered, her own tone frosty as usual. “I heard about your behavior lately; dueling, getting into fights and don’t even get me started on your grades!”

“My grades have improved this year! You really don’t have to come here all the way here to keep an eye on me!”

“Well,” she scoffed and threw a look over to where Seungmin sat in the grass, “seeing as you still keep questionable company... it might be for the best.” Hyunjin’s jaw dropped. Questionable company? “Anyway, I have to go now, I have to get briefed by the headmaster. I expect to see you bright and early tomorrow morning in Charms class.”

With that she left and Seungmin joined Hyunjin’s side, reaching out to touch his arm.

“I have a feeling Charms is going to get a whole lot worse now,” Hyunjin said, a dreadful expression on his face.

“Agreed...”

~

Seungmin had never had problems with teachers before. Most teachers appreciated his diligence and his active participation in class, not to mention his outstanding grades. Seungmin was polite, punctual and perfectionistic so teachers usually loved him.

Unless of course, they were Hyunjin’s mother...

As if the woman’s grudge against him hadn’t already been bad enough Seungmin was also late this morning for the first time in, well, a long time. His Charms class was the first of the day, right before Hyunjin’s so he wasn’t here and if he was being honest, Seungmin was kind of glad about that. He didn’t need to witness the metaphorical bloodbath that was about to happen.

“Kim Seungmin. How nice of you to grace us with your presence,” Hyunjin’s mother sneered as Seungmin scurried over to his seat next to Jisung.

“I’m really sorry, I was–”

“Enough! 20 points from Ravenclaw!” she interrupted him coldly. “Now, as I was saying before this rude interruption, my name is Professor Hwang. I will fill in as your Charms teacher, as well as house teacher of Ravenclaw. I expect you to work hard, follow the rules and...” Her icy glare fell onto Seungmin, “of course to be punctual.”

Jisung nudged him. “Damn, she hates your guts.”

“No ,” Seungmin mumbled bitterly.

“Talking in class? Another 20 points from Ravenclaw,” Professor Hwang snapped. Seungmin’s jaw tightened as he fought down the urge to argue with her unjust behavior. He was well aware that she had it out for him.

No need to rattle her cage even more.

As Charms class proceeded, Hyunjin’s mother made it a habit to scrutinize Seungmin’s every move. She criticized him for the smallest imperfections in his answers as well as his spells. It was frustrating to say the least. Especially since he knew that her problem with Seungmin stirred from him being muggleborn.

There was nothing he could do.

~

“Hi darling, how was Charms?” Hyunjin asked Seungmin a few hours later when he took a defeated seat next to him at the Slytherin table. Changbin and Felix were sitting across from them, also eyeing Seungmin curiously at the question.

“It was okay, don’t worry,” Seungmin waved off. It was a blatant lie, but he didn’t want to worry Hyunjin or his friends and Jisung wasn’t here to call him out on it. In reality, Charms class had drained him of energy to the point where he couldn’t even focus on any of his other classes.

“Are you okay, though?” Seungmin asked his boyfriend. “I can’t imagine Charms was much fun for you either...”

Hyunjin made a face. “Well, let’s just say it could have been worse.”

“Your mom scares me,” Changbin admitted.

“She has that effect on people...” Hyunjin said. Seungmin wordlessly leaned into his side, resting his head on his shoulder. Hyunjin’s arm found its way around his waist. “You okay, my love?”

Seungmin hummed in acknowledgement. “Just tired...”

“You should eat something...” Hyunjin pointed out.

Seungmin grunted and sat up straight again. He reached for some noodles and put them on his plate. He didn’t feel very hungry though, which was why he didn’t eat a lot of them.

“I think I’m gonna go take a nap at the Room of Requirement before my afternoon classes...” Seungmin muttered, pushing his plate away from him before getting up.

“I’ll come with you,” Hyunjin said, following suit. “See you guys later,” he addressed Changbin and Felix. He took Seungmin’s hand and led him out of the Great Hall.

“Are you announcing the game between Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff tomorrow?” Hyunjin asked, casually swinging their intertwined hands back and forth.

“Yeah, although I must admit that I’m not really up for it...” Seungmin replied. He still felt tired and drained. He just hoped it would be gone by tomorrow.

“Are you coming down with something? You’re not usually this tired during the day,” Hyunjin pointed out, concern laced in his voice.

Seungmin only waved off, though. “I’m alright, darling, don’t worry.”

“This is the second time you’ve told me not to worry and somehow it makes me want to worry more.”

Seungmin stopped walking and faced Hyunjin, taking his other hand as well. “This is nothing a nap can’t fix. Especially with you joining me. I’m just a little drained of energy right now,” he said before pulling Hyunjin into a hug. “I love you for worrying about me, though.”

Hyunjin wrapped his arms around Seungmin’s waist, and they remained like that for a few more moments. Seungmin already began to feel a lot more relaxed at his boyfriend’s touch.

“Let’s go take that nap, shall we?” Hyunjin finally mumbled, pulling back and taking Seungmin’s hand again.

~

“Your hair is getting long,” Seungmin noted when they were getting comfortable in the Room of Requirement. Hyunjin had snuggled up to Seungmin in a large, soft bed, resting his head on his chest as Seungmin continuously ran a hand through his soft black strands.

Hyunjin’s hair reached below his ears by now but he had no desire to cut it at the moment.

“I know,” he muttered, smiling contentedly as he enjoyed the feeling of his boyfriend’s fingers running through his hair.

“I like it. You look pretty,” Seungmin said softly.

Hyunjin whined and buried his face in Seungmin’s chest, suddenly flustered by the compliment. Seungmin chuckled, continuing his ministrations until he found himself slowly but surely drifting off.

~

“And Ravenclaw wins the game!” Seungmin announced brightly the next afternoon.

He was feeling a whole lot better compared to yesterday. He even had fun announcing the game, glad that he had decided to go through with it.

He saw Jisung getting swarmed by his teammates and fellow Ravenclaws the minute he landed on the grass. He smiled fondly at the sight. Jisung had been on fire today; holding almost every Quaffle, despite the Hufflepuff Chasers’ best efforts.

It was also mainly the fact that Lucas had lost his spot on the Hufflepuff team after playing a series of evil tricks on Jeongin and trying to blame his boyfriend Sunwoo for it. The team had had to find a new Keeper rather quickly and as much as Seungmin disliked Lucas, he had to admit that he had been a damn good Keeper.

The new guy, Larry, had tried his best but his lack of practice had shown clearly.

“Come on, my love. There’s going to be a party at your common room!” Hyunjin suddenly ripped Seungmin out of his thoughts. He hadn’t even noticed him joining him in the announcer booth.

“A party?” Seungmin asked, letting himself get pulled to his feet.

“Yeah, you up for it?”

“You know what, I think I am...”

~

“Congrats on your victory!” Jeongin told Jisung, giving him a hug. Eric followed his example. They were both members of the Hufflepuff team but had still decided to join the party at the Ravenclaw common room.

Seungmin and Hyunjin joined them. “Looks like we’ll be facing off against each other in May,” Hyunjin said, hi-fiving Jisung who smirked confidently.

“I hope you’re prepared to say goodbye to your winning streak!” Jisung declared. Hyunjin laughed and they continued to bicker as Eric came up to Seungmin, handing him a drink.

“Is this alcohol?” Seungmin asked him, earning himself a grin from Eric. Seungmin looked at the cup for a second and ultimately shrugged. “ it,” he said before downing the entire thing. He made a face at the burning sensation that made its way from his throat down to his stomach. He coughed twice and wiped some tears from his eyes before handing the cup back to Eric.

Seungmin was met with his friends’ surprised expressions. He wasn’t known to drink so it must have been really unexpected for them to see him not lecture Eric and take the drink instead.

“What? This is a party, is it not?” Seungmin asked. Jisung was the first one to recover from the shock, face breaking out into a grin.

“You’re right, let’s party!”

~

Seungmin felt slightly tipsy but compared to last time, when somebody had purposefully gotten him drunk to try taking advantage of him, it didn’t feel as strange. He was dancing with Hyunjin and he felt safe with him.

“You’re really cute when you’re drunk, you know that?”

Seungmin looked up at him, pulling him closer from where his arms were draped around his neck.

“You’re still calling me cute even after everything...?” he asked bluntly. Hyunjin chuckled, although a slight blush was spreading on his cheeks at the younger’s words.

“I know about your less cute side, my love, but right now you’re downright adorable,” he said before he leaned in to kiss Seungmin.

“What in the world is going on here?!” an authoritative voice suddenly boomed through the common room. Seungmin jumped at the sound of Hyunjin’s mother’s voice. The music was cut, and everyone turned to stare at her.

“Professor, we’re just celebrating Ravenclaw’s win today,” Kang Yaebin, Ravenclaw’s Seeker spoke up over the eerily quiet room.

“Oh, is that so?” Professor Hwang asked, taking the cup from Yaebin’s right hand and smelling it. “With Firewhiskey, Ms Kang?”

Yaebin lowered her head and took a step back. Professor Hwang looked around until her eyes landed on Hyunjin – and finally on Seungmin. Her eyes narrowed and she approached them. Seungmin even found himself almost hiding behind Hyunjin.

“Mother–”

You,” Professor Hwang snapped at Seungmin who – in his tipsy state – flinched at her sharp tone. “You’re supposed to be a prefect, yet you’re here drinking with them? I should drag you right to the headmaster!”

“Mother, leave him be!” Hyunjin spoke up as Seungmin clung to his arm.

Hyunjin’s mother sent her son an icy glare. “That’s Professor Hwang to you!”

“Professor?” Jisung spoke up, stepping forward. “Please don’t be mad at Seungmin. The party was my idea.”

“And I contributed the alcohol,” Eric threw in. “Seungmin isn’t the one to blame.”

“I contributed some too!” Hyunjin said.

“Me too!”

“So did I!”

A few more students spoke up throughout the room. Seungmin didn’t know whether it was to protect him or Jisung and Eric, but he felt grateful nonetheless.

“Don’t think this act of dumb bravery will get you off the hook. I will inform the headmaster of this. Maybe he’ll reconsider his choice of prefects and Quidditch captains. 50 points from Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff and Slytherin each!” There weren’t any Gryffindors in her line of sight, so they had gotten lucky. “Everybody who isn’t a Ravenclaw, out! Ravenclaws, to your dorms! This party is over!”

All non-Ravenclaws scrambled to get out of the common room. In the end only Hyunjin remained.

“Will you be okay?” he asked Seungmin who nodded.

“Hyunjin!” his mother urged him sternly.

“Alright, Professor Hwang. I’m on my way,” Hyunjin said, rolling his eyes. He pressed a demonstrative kiss onto Seungmin’s lips before leaving the Ravenclaw common room.

Seungmin turned and tried to make his way to the sixth-year dorm rooms as quickly as possible when Professor Hwang spoke up again.

“You’ll never be suitable for my son. He’s rebelling right now because he knows how I feel about your kind.”

Your kind.

Seungmin stopped in his tracks, turning back to face her. Anger and resentment bubbled up in his stomach. “Hyunjin loves me. Nothing you say or do will change that.”

Her eyes narrowed. “We’ll see about that.”

“Good night, professor.” With that Seungmin made his way upstairs, trying his hardest not to slam the door in anger. He didn’t want to give her the satisfaction of knowing that her words had impacted him.

He was way beyond doubting Hyunjin’s feelings for him. He knew the Slytherin loved him and that he had long since stopped listening to or caring about what his mother thought of Seungmin. However, despite all of that, he couldn’t deny that it hurt. Being reduced to his blood status.

He remembered his first (and only) visit to Hyunjin’s home a few months back. He hadn’t left an ideal first impression, but he had seen that Professor Hwang’s opinion of him had been fairly okay right up until the point where she had learned about Seungmin being muggleborn.

“Are you alright?” Jisung greeted him when he sat down on his bed.

Seungmin waved off. “Sure. I already knew that she didn’t like me,” he said with practiced nonchalance.

“That was intense though...” Renjun pointed out.

“Yeah, why does she hate you so much?” Jinyoung questioned.

Seungmin simply shrugged, not wanting to get into it, before looking at Jisung. “Thanks for stepping up earlier. All of you,” he thanked his dormmates.

Jisung grinned. “Don’t mention it.”

“Still, if you get in trouble–”

“Then I’ll get in trouble. The headmaster won’t kick me off the team for something as minor as this,” Jisung waved off. “You should get some rest and sleep off the rest of the alcohol, you party animal,” he added jokingly.

Seungmin snorted but proceeded to get ready for bed anyway. He was glad that tomorrow was Sunday. He planned to spend the whole day with Hyunjin, no interruptions, no other people. His next Charms lesson was on Monday afternoon and for the first time in his life Kim Seungmin dreaded a class.

~

“Did she say anything to you after I left?” Hyunjin asked Seungmin the next day once they had set the ambience in the Room of Requirement. Hyunjin had figured that Seungmin would appreciate the comfort of his own home, so he had made it look like his bedroom.

“I went straight to bed after you left,” Seungmin answered, leaning against the wall next to his bed, a stuffed bunny sitting in his lap.

“And you’re okay right? You don’t normally drink–”

“For Merlin’s sake, Hyunjin, I’m okay! I’m not a child and this wasn’t the first time I drank!” Seungmin suddenly snapped. Hyunjin backtracked, not wanting to get on his boyfriend’s nerves. Seungmin seemed to immediately regret his outburst though. He put his bunny aside and scooted over to Hyunjin who was leaning against the headboard.

“I’m sorry, darling. I didn’t mean to snap at you...” he apologized, taking Hyunjin’s hand into both of his own. “To tell you the truth...” he trailed off. Hyunjin looked at him, squeezing Seungmin’s hands to show him he wasn’t angry and to encourage him to go on. “Drinking probably really isn’t for me. I’ve been snappy all morning. But I have no right to take it out on you. I’m sorry...”

Something told Hyunjin that Seungmin had been meaning to say something else but Hyunjin didn’t want to risk him getting upset again, so he opted for pulling him into his lap.

“You’re already forgiven, my love,” Hyunjin assured him.

Seungmin smiled and brushed a wild strand of hair out of Hyunjin’s face. “I love you.”

Hyunjin returned his smile. “I love you more.”

“Impossible.”

“Don’t test me,” Hyunjin said. Seungmin laughed, shaking his head at his boyfriend’s antics before closing the remaining gap between them and kissing him. Hyunjin relished in the feeling of his boyfriend’s lips against his own and the knowledge that nobody could interrupt them here.

“Sometimes I want to just run away with you...” Hyunjin mumbled, cupping Seungmin’s face and looking at him. “I know it sounds like crappy song lyrics, but I just feel like that from time to time. Like I just want to pack up and move to a quiet little place with you. Far, far away from here or London. I want just you, a dog or two and the occasional company of our friends. That’s it... that would be a dream...”

“We could raise chickens too and I’d grow a cute garden...” Seungmin fantasized along. “Oh, and we’d build a Quidditch pitch on one of the vast fields surrounding our property...”

“Maybe I could finally teach you how to play,” Hyunjin teased.

Seungmin laughed. “Unlikely, I have one weakness and that’s Quidditch!”

“False. You have two weaknesses... Quidditch and resisting your lovely boyfriend,” Hyunjin joked, making Seungmin laugh again. He laughed along and kissed Seungmin once more. “Maybe one day we’ll have all of those things,” he muttered against Seungmin’s lips, wrapping his arms around his waist tightly.

“As long as I have you...” Seungmin replied. Hyunjin’s heart swell and burst at his words.

He really, truly loved this boy to pieces.

~

“Where have you been all day?” Professor Hwang asked Hyunjin a few hours later right after he had dropped Seungmin off at the Ravenclaw tower.

Hyunjin’s jaw tightened. “With my boyfriend, doing homework,” he answered. They hadn’t exactly done homework, but he certainly wasn’t going to tell her that.

“Where?”

“Okay what do you want from me, mother?” Hyunjin snapped, finally losing his patience.

“I want you to break up with this person. He’s no good!”

Hyunjin huffed in exasperation, not even surprised. “Really, mother? We both know that I’m not going to do that.”

“Hyunjin, do you really think you two are going to last? Can’t you see how much dating this boy has harmed our relationship?” his mother questioned. Hyunjin could hardly believe his ears.

“Do you want to know who really harmed our relationship? You did,” he spat. “Since I was little all you showed me was anger and bitterness. Hell, I didn’t even like my birthday because of how bitter you would be every year. And do you know who changed that? Seungmin. He baked me a cake and made sure I had a great time and for the first time since I could remember I actually did!”

“But he’s–”

“He’s what? Smart, caring, supportive? He’s helped me with my schoolwork so much and he supports me in everything I do. He’s there during every Quidditch game, he cheers me on when we win, he cheers me up when we lose. He listens to me, he introduced me to his amazing family. He loves me. Which is more than I can say about you.”

He didn’t let her finish and instead just stormed off towards his own common room. He furiously wiped the oncoming tears off his face. Why was he still crying because of her? He knew what she was like and what she thought about Seungmin, so why did it still affect him?

“Hey, are you alright?” Felix stopped him just as he had reached the entrance hall and was about to head downstairs to the dungeons. Hyunjin stopped in his tracks and wiped his eyes again.

“Yeah, I’m just... I had a run-in with my mother...”

“Right, I heard she busted the Ravenclaw party last night. Can’t imagine that was much fun,” he said, approaching Hyunjin. “Do you need a hug?”

Hyunjin nodded and the very next moment he found himself in Felix’ embrace.

“You know, the end of the school year is near, and she’ll be out of here before you know it,” Felix assured him.

“I hope you’re right. Not just for my sake but also for Seungmin’s,” Hyunjin mumbled. Felix pulled back and looked at him questioningly. “My mother doesn’t like him very much. I’m afraid she’ll mess with his mind...” Hyunjin explained.

“Has he said anything so far?” Felix asked, clearly concerned.

“Not yet. But I just know she won’t leave him be. I never thought I’d say this, but I want Professor Flitwick back...”

Felix patted his shoulder comfortingly. “I’m sure it’ll all be alright soon.”

Hyunjin sure hoped he was right.

~

“Mediocre.”

Seungmin’s shoulders sagged in defeat. Hyunjin’s mother had focused on him trying to manage turning vinegar to red wine for the past 10 minutes. Under her scrutinizing gaze Seungmin’s focus had wavered and he simply couldn’t get it right.

“I thought you were top of your class. Yet you can’t even manage this simple spell?”

“Maybe if you stopped pressuring him,” Jisung mumbled under his breath but Professor Hwang still heard him. She sent him one of her signature icy glares.

“Why don’t you show us your talents then, Mr Han,” she said.

Jisung looked at her challengingly before performing the spell. It was almost perfect, certainly better than anything Seungmin had tried to do throughout the lesson, except for the color of the wine being slightly too bright to pass off as red wine.

“Tolerable,” she said and finally walked away to torment other students.

“Seungmin, are you really going to let her treat you like this?” Jisung whispered as soon as she was out of earshot.

“What do you want me to do?” Seungmin asked, sounding resigned. “I can’t exactly tell her to off.”

“You could tell Hyun–”

“No! He’s already going through enough with that woman. If I tell him, he’ll confront her and I’m certainly not going to give her the satisfaction of knowing that I ran crying about her bull to my boyfriend!” Seungmin interrupted Jisung vehemently.

“Damn, okay. Still, you can’t let this keep going on. It’s going to affect your grade and I know you care about that.”

“Thanks, Ji. But I’ll manage...” Seungmin said. “Hyunjin shouldn’t have to worry about this...”

~

“Happy birthday~” Seungmin’s soft voice roused Hyunjin from his sleep a week later. Much like the previous year Seungmin was sitting on his bed with a birthday cake in his hands.

“Thank you, my love. It completely slipped my mind...” he admitted sheepishly.

Seungmin grinned and set the chocolate cake down on the nightstand before crawling underneath the covers. “I figured. Makes it much easier to surprise you,” he answered, wrapping his arms around Hyunjin’s waist and pressing a kiss to the corner of his mouth.

“What time is it?”

“8:30... I figured this year I wouldn’t throw you out of bed at o’clock in the morning. It’s Sunday after all...” Hyunjin smiled and pulled his boyfriend closer. “Shall we skip breakfast, and you get your present right now?” Seungmin grinned.

“Am I finally getting the ribbon that’s been promised to me for a year?” Hyunjin joked. Seungmin gave him a pointed look. “Wait, you–”

Seungmin laughed, playfully poking his boyfriend’s belly. “Don’t be silly.” Hyunjin pouted. “Like that would be your first present...”

Hyunjin spluttered but Seungmin had already twisted in his hold and reached down next to the bed where he produced a box. They both sat up again and Seungmin placed the box in Hyunjin’s lap.

“Open it,” Seungmin said excitedly.

Hyunjin obliged and opened the box. The first thing he saw was the extra-large box of chocolate frogs. He smiled and took it out, putting it down next to the cake. When he looked into the box again his eyes widened.

“Min... these must have cost a fortune...” Hyunjin said, gently taking the Quidditch gloves out of the box. They were made from the finest leather. They felt firm but when Hyunjin experimentally slipped his hand into one they felt like silk.

“Look on the inside near the wrist,” Seungmin pointed out. Hyunjin slipped the glove off his hand and looked inside. There was a golden engraving in beautiful calligraphy. It read ‘My star Chaser. I love you – S.’ “I know it’s cheesy...”

Unexpectedly, Hyunjin’s eyes watered. He placed the gloves in his lap and pulled Seungmin into a hug. “I love it. I love you.”

Seungmin returned the hug. “I love you too, darling.”

~

After spending the morning together Seungmin and Hyunjin decided to get some lunch at the Great Hall where Hyunjin promptly received birthday wishes from all of their friends. Seungmin spotted Hyunjin’s mother at the teacher’s table but she made no move to come over to wish her son a happy birthday.

Seungmin had brought the cake along so they could share it with their friends so that, at least, should have been a giveaway if it had really slipped her mind.

“So, when’s the party?” Jisung asked, thoroughly enjoying his slice of cake. Renjun shook his head at the younger and wiped some chocolate from the corner of his mouth. Jisung grinned at him and winked playfully. Seungmin silently raised his eyebrow at the exchange.

“No party this year,” Hyunjin announced, causing Jisung’s face to fall. “Sorry, Ji. I’m still not too fond of my birthday. Last year was amazing but it’s not something I want every year.”

“Alright, that’s valid,” Jisung said with a shrug.

“Renjun’s birthday is only three days away. We could celebrate that,” Hyunjin pointed out, causing the attention to land on Renjun.

“How come I’ve known you for over six years and you didn’t ever mention your birthday?” Felix exclaimed, exasperated.

Renjun chuckled sheepishly. “Well, it never came up, I guess. We’ll see about a party...”

Someone cleared their throat behind Seungmin. He and Hyunjin both turned around to come face to face with Professor Hwang. She (obviously) didn’t spare Seungmin a glance and pressed an envelope into Hyunjin’s hands.

“I was instructed to give this to you. Happy birthday,” she said before taking off again.

Hyunjin stared at the envelope in his hands. It didn’t have any writing on it, so Hyunjin had no idea who it could be from. His mother had been instructed to give it to him? Seungmin placed his hand on Hyunjin’s shoulder, snapping him out of his thoughts.

“You okay?” Felix questioned.

“Uh... yeah, I’m fine...” Hyunjin said, putting the envelope into the pocket of his robes. “Let’s finish this cake.

The atmosphere was slightly tense throughout the remainder of lunch. Seungmin saw Hyunjin’s hand wandering to his pocket a few times.

When Seungmin and Hyunjin were alone again, in the Room of Requirement this time, Hyunjin finally pulled the mysterious envelope out of his pocket and opened it. His eyes scanned the lines, widening more by the second. Seungmin observed quietly, not wanting to disturb him.

By the time Hyunjin had reached the end of the letter his eyes had watered.

“This...” he began. “This is an old letter from my dad...”

Seungmin’s eyes widened in surprise. Hyunjin’s father had left him and his mother over a decade ago on Hyunjin’s third birthday. According to Hyunjin it was the reason his mother had completely buried herself in her work.

Seungmin remembered the half-burnt family picture in Hyunjin’s room. Apparently, it had been the only memory Hyunjin had managed to retrieve of his father. His head occasionally peeked in from the burnt half of the picture, giving Hyunjin a vague idea of what he even looked like.

“I can’t believe this,” Hyunjin now muttered, a tear running down his face. Seungmin carefully reached out to take his hand. Hyunjin leaned into his side, burying his face in Seungmin’s shoulder. He wordlessly placed the letter into Seungmin’s lap for him to read.

Seungmin moved to wrap his arm around Hyunjin’s shoulders, keeping him close before picking the letter up with his free hand.

Dear Hyunjin,

This is your father. I’m not sure how much you know about me. I hope your mother has told you about me over the years. Anyway, if you’re reading this it means it’s your birthday and you’re of legal age now.

Now, to get to the point, I want you to know that I never planned to leave you. The thing is, I was always different from you or your mother. I can’t do magic, so I never quite fit into the wizarding world and I never really had anybody to talk to about it.

Your mother and I kept getting into fights more and more often after we got married because I felt like she was distancing herself from my world more and more. So I sought solace somewhere else...

I never meant to fall for another woman, but I did. She is also a non-wizard and we simply... clicked.

When I told your mother, she told me to leave and never return. She banned me from seeing you, but she agreed to give this letter to you when you’re of age. I have no way of knowing whether you are even going to receive it, but I hope she’s kept her promise. If you did get it, I want you to know I love you very much and if you ever want to reach out, I live at 54 Wilton Street, London.

Happy Birthday, my son.

Your father.

James Hwang.

“Wow...” Seungmin said for the lack of better words. He put the letter aside and wrapped his other arm around Hyunjin as well.

They remained like this for a long time. Seungmin almost thought Hyunjin had fallen asleep when he suddenly broke the silence.

“My mother kept this from me all my life... she tried to erase every memory of him, and she never let me get to know him...”

“I know, baby... I’m so sorry...” Seungmin said, pressing a kiss to the crown of his head.

“On the other hand,” Hyunjin continued, sniffling wetly, “he cheated on her and left her for another woman. Do I even want to get to know him?”

“That’s a tough decision to make, love. You should let it sink in first.”

“Best birthday ever,” Hyunjin said sarcastically. “My mom really could have given me a heads-up...”

Seungmin hummed in agreement, his grip around his boyfriend tightening protectively.

~

“How could you?!” Seungmin confronted Professor Hwang the very next day before Charms.

“I beg your pardon?” she said, her tone stone cold and her eyebrow raised. “I don’t think I quite like your tone!”

“Well, I’m sorry but how could you just give him that letter without any kind of warning?!”

“I don’t believe that’s any of your business, Mr Kim,” Professor Hwang said, her lips stretching into a thin line at the mention of the letter.

“Oh no? Hyunjin already has a really troubled relationship with his birthday and that really did not help!” Seungmin said, absolutely furious. He had momentarily forgotten about the borderline fear he had of her.

“So you think you can come in here and lecture me about my son when you know what I think of you?” Professor Hwang spat.

Seungmin exhaled. “To be quite frank: I don’t give a Niffler’s backside about what you think of me, but I love your son and he loves me. I’m only looking out for him. Maybe you should start doing the same.”

Professor Hwang spluttered, looking like she was about to reach for her wand. “You–”

“Look,” Seungmin said, succeeding in his attempt to sound calmer, “I can’t begin to imagine what you went through back then but it’s not Hyunjin’s fault. Yet you’ve made him feel like it is all his life. If you don’t want to lose him eventually, maybe it’s time you came through and you two had a long talk. Open up to him like his father did. It’s in your hands whether you want to be in his life or not because some day, I assure you, he’s going to cut you out of it.”

The bell rung and Seungmin took his seat before Professor Hwang could answer. Needless to say, the lesson was brutal. But this time Seungmin didn’t care about her snide remarks or her never-ending critics. He knew his words had affected her.

Now, all he had to do was hope that she would follow his advice.

~

The school day was over and Hyunjin was currently on his way to the Ravenclaw common room to ask Seungmin to watch practice followed by a date in Hogsmeade. He solved the doorknob’s riddle with ease and entered the common room – only to stop dead in his tracks at the scene that was unfolding before him.

“It is beyond me how someone like you ever became a prefect!” his mother was currently yelling at Seungmin. “I don’t know who you think you are, but I certainly won’t let a child speak to me like that! 50 points from Ravenclaw and a week of detention!”

Seungmin flinched at her words.

“I really should take you to the headmaster, you disrespectful little–”

“Mom, what’s going on?” Hyunjin interfered.

“What are you doing here? This isn’t your common room!” she snapped.

Hyunjin took a breath, bracing himself for an oncoming fight. “I want to know what he did wrong that caused you to speak to him like that!”

His mother raised an eyebrow at him. “And who do you think you are to give me orders? Though, I do see where it came from...” She threw Seungmin a disdainful glare.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Hyunjin questioned, already knowing that he would not like the answer. He came to stand next to Seungmin, feeling the urge to shield him from his mother’s hateful eyes.

“It means, if you really have to date a mudblood,” Seungmin gasped at the term, “at least find one that doesn’t have a bad influence on you!”

Hyunjin’s stomach bubbled up in anger as tears of rage filled his eyes. “Don’t call him that!” His voice wavered and he felt Seungmin’s hand on his arm.

“It’s okay...” he muttered.

“No, it’s not! This is wrong! She can’t say that to you!” Hyunjin said to Seungmin before looking at his mother again. “I wish dad had taken me with him when he left you!”

The following smack she delivered to his face was half expected but it still resounded through the whole common room. Seungmin’s fingers clawed into Hyunjin’s sleeve in shock and he gasped again.

Hyunjin held his stinging cheek and looked at her. “Thanks for proving my point...”

With that he took Seungmin’s hand and dragged him out of the common room. Tears were streaming down his face, not because of the slap but because all of his anger and sadness once again flowed out of him. It was just like back in November when he had visited home.

Seungmin stopped him a good distance away from the Ravenclaw tower. He faced him and Hyunjin could see that Seungmin was crying too. He pulled Hyunjin into a very much needed hug.

“I’m sorry,” he mumbled. Hyunjin didn’t know what exactly he meant by that, but he couldn’t find his words at the moment, so he settled for just hugging him back.

~

Quidditch practice was hard to watch. Hyunjin obviously wasn’t in it with his heart and his teammates easily caught on. Quite frankly, Seungmin was glad when it was finally over, worried that Hyunjin might get hurt with how out of it he was.

“I’m sorry, you guys... you were great today, I’m just a little distracted,” Hyunjin apologized to the team once practice was finally over.

“You okay?” Sunwoo asked him.

“I’m fine. I’ll do better tomorrow. You’re free to go,” Hyunjin answered.

Seungmin waited for him in front of the changing rooms, greeting him with another hug.

“Is it alright if we skip Hogsmeade today?” Hyunjin asked.

Seungmin looked up at him, caressing his cheek which had bruised the slightest bit. “Of course, that’s okay. Do you want to do anything else, or would you rather be alone right now?”

Hyunjin’s arms tightened around his waist. “That’s the last thing I want. I kind of just want to hide and never see my mother again...”

Seungmin pulled back and took his hand. “Then let’s hide...”

~

“Does it still hurt?” Seungmin asked, once again caressing Hyunjin’s cheek.

Hyunjin shook his head and took his hand away to cup it with his own. “Why didn’t you tell me she was treating you like this. I’m sure it wasn’t the first time...” he asked. His tone wasn’t accusatory per say but Seungmin knew that he was confused about his lack of disclosure.

He sighed. “I’m sorry. I didn’t want to burden you. She kept criticizing me and deducting points from my house and given your rocky relationship with her... I guess I didn’t want to contribute to making it worse...” he finally explained. “I’m sorry...”

“What do you keep apologizing for, my love?”

Seungmin shrugged. “I guess for standing between you and your mother... I mean, none of this would be a problem if I weren’t muggleborn...”

Hyunjin squeezed his hand. “Don’t even think that. It doesn’t matter whether your parents are wizards or not! And you’re not standing in the way of anything,” he assured his boyfriend. “The relationship between me and my mom was damaged from the beginning and I don’t support her views in any way or form. In fact, I might report her to the headmaster.”

Seungmin’s eyes widened at that. “You’d do that?”

Hyunjin shrugged and wrapped the younger into a hug. “I think I should. She’s not fit to be around kids.”

~

The news of Hyunjin reporting his own mother to the headmaster, causing her to get dismissed, obviously spread like wildfire. Hyunjin didn’t care about the rumors but he feared that his relationship with his mother had become unsalvageable.

She had sent him one last icy glare after she had left the headmaster’s office with a: “Don’t bother coming home this summer.”

“This was for the best,” Hyunjin said the week after his mother’s departure, although he wasn’t sure about whether he was addressing Seungmin or himself.

“Are you going to be okay?” Seungmin questioned, running a hand through his boyfriend’s hair.

“Yeah...” Hyunjin trailed off. “I mean she won’t let me stay with her this summer. Maybe even ever again. I betrayed her trust. I’m lucky if she doesn’t burn my stuff to ashes...”

Seungmin gently cupped his cheeks, making Hyunjin look at him. “Don’t panic. We’re in London next week for the wedding. Why don’t we stop by your house when your mom is at work and collect your stuff?”

“And then what?” Hyunjin asked.

“We’ll send it to my place and you’re coming to LA with me this summer,” Seungmin replied. “My parents will love to have you and I’d much rather have you close by this summer.”

Hyunjin smiled faintly, leaning close to kiss him. “You’re the absolute best, my love. I don’t know what I’d do without you,” he said. Seungmin grinned at him. “Wait, please tell me you have an extra suitcase though. I’m afraid my stuff at home won’t fit into my school suitcase....”

Seungmin chuckled. “No, but I’ll buy you one and I’ll even enchant it for you,” he promised.

Hyunjin hugged him, the situation already feeling much less heavy. He had been planning on moving out either way and now he didn’t think he could continue living with his mother anyway.

“Seems like I am running away with you after all,” Hyunjin muttered into the crook of Seungmin’s neck.

“Just wait until after graduation. We’ll go right for the farm and the chickens and the Quidditch pitch...” Seungmin answered, the smile audible in his voice.

“God, I love you.”

“And I love you.”