Living for myself

What's Wrong With Secretary Myoui ?

"EVERYONE BIG NEWS ! EXTREMELY BIG NEWS !"

"Oh here we go again," said Jihyo 

"What is it now," Tzuyu said while rolling her eyes

"What is this... you guys sound so uninterested in what i have to tell you guys..." Chaeyoung complained.

"It's because everytime you say that there's big news its always false," piped in Sana.

"Yeah !" Momo joined in.

"But this time its legit ! Like 100% real !" Chaeyoung argued. 

"Ok then what is it ?" The other 4 girls asked.

"Only those who can take it gather around."

The 4 girls gathered around Chaeyoung, while secretary Kim Dahyun sat out of the conversation and resumed with her work. Dahyun was a shy girl and very work orientated. She had no interest in idle chatter.

"Ok so," Chaeyoung announced. "This is extremely shocking news so i have to warn you guys, its extremely shock-"

"Just tell us !" exclaimed Jihyo.

"Hurry up Son Chaeng !" urged Tzuyu.

"Ok... Ms Myoui... is resigning !"

"Tch !" 

"What ? Its true !"

"Please, that has to be the most ridiculous thing i've heard even from you Son Chaeyoung," said Tzuyu

"Exactly. And why would Ms Myoui even resign in the first place ? She's doing such a great job and the Vice chairperson loves her-" Sana claimed. 

"It's because of a personal reason," Mina announced. 

"Eh ? Oh Ms Myoui !"

"Hi everyone," Mina said with a bright smile. 

"Wait, so it's true ? You're resigning ?" asked Jihyo.

"Yes Ji, i'm resigning."

"See i told you. I was right this time..." Chaeyoung said with a pout. 

"But isn't it a bit too sudden, Ms Myoui ?" Momo asked. 

"Hmm... it may be quite sudden, but its only a matter of time before i resign anyway," Mina replied. 

"Ms Yoo is here," Dahyun announced, standing up. 

Everyone scrambled to stand at attention, bowing 45 degrees when Ms Yoo walked past them.

"Good morning, Ms Yoo," all of them said in unison.

Jeongyeon raised a hand and walked past the girls.

"Aish... how long do i have to endure her tension and her gaze..." complained Sana. 

"Good for you, Ms Myoui... you're resigning soon and you dont have to see her anymore..." lamented Momo. 

Mina made her way to her desk. The desk that she has been sitting at for the past 8 years ever since Ms Yoo was promoted from President to Vice Chairperson. She had been through thick and thin with Ms Yoo, or at least, just 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘤𝘬, for she has been overworked for the past 9 years of her life working under this narcissistic boss, who dosent give a care for anything in the world other than asking Mina: "Do i look good today Ms Myoui ?" Mina was pretty sure that if it were to come to saving the world or protecting her "flawless" face, Ms Yoo would choose to do the latter in an instant. 

The buzzer on her desk sounded, signalling that Ms Yoo had called for her. Mina rolled her eyes, but put on the brightest smile when she opened the doors to Ms Yoo's office. 

"Yes, Ms Yoo ? Is there something you need ?" 

"Ms Myoui. I need you to cancel all my schedules for the afternoon, i'll be going over to Ms Im's office," Jeongyeon stated. 

"Yes, Ms Yoo. I'll get that sorted for you. If there's nothing else i'll take my leave now."

"Wait."

"Yes, Ms Yoo ?"

"You said that you wanted to resign... Why ?"

"It's for a personal reason, Ms Yoo."

"A personal reason that your superior shouldn't know about ?" 

"Uh... well..."

"It's fine. I'll be going over to Ms Im's office now. You can settle your own lunch, Ms Myoui." 

Mina's face lit up. How long has it been since she could have her lunch by herself ? 5, 6 months ?

"Oh really ? Thank you Ms Yoo !" 

"But i'll be asking you for the reason for why you are deciding to resign later on so you better get that prepared."

"Yes Ms Yoo. Thank you Ms Yoo !"

Mina was elated. Ms Yoo had given her time to herself, so she could finally visit the bank and pay off the remainder of her family's debts. Finally, after 9 long years of working she could pay off what her family owed. There wasn't enough words to describe how she was feeling. 

"Ms Myoui !" 

"Oh, hi Sana," Mina replied with a smile

"Would you like to have lunch with me ? I packed an extra serving of salad for you~" 

"Oh, no thanks Sana, i have personal matters to attend to. Bye !" That being said, Mina scurried off, leaving behind a very clueless Sana. 

 

 

 

...

 

 

 

"What's up with her..." 

"With who ?" 

"Ms Myoui."

"Ah, i see. She's resigning right ?"

"Yes she's resigning... but why ? I just can't think of a reason why she would resign..." 

Nayeon offered Jeongyeon a red ginseng sweet.

"No thank you. That thing probably has 0.03% red ginseng and tons of sugar so, no thanks." Jeongyeon replied, rejecting the sweet.

Nayeon rolled her eyes.

"Well you see-" 

"I mean where else can she find a boss that is as perfect as me ? Don't tell me that she got tired of looking at my beautiful, flawless face after 9 years ?" 

Nayeon sighed. Her friend is a complete  but what can she do about it ? Jeongyeon had been there by her side for more than 20 years. And even if she said something, it wont get through into Jeongyeon's thick skull. 

"Like i was trying to say, relationships are like a rotten apple."

"Rotten... apple ?"

"Yes a rotten apple. You see, if a bit of the apple is rotten, you just cut it out, and the apple looks as good as new right ? You can still eat it. But what if you decide that you're too lazy to cut it out and just leave it ? Soon enough the whole apple will become rotten, and then it would have become a huge problem."

"What are you trying to get across ?"

"I'm trying to say that you should talk with her, make a breakthrough with her, before things go rotten. Because once things go rotten, there is no saving."

"Fair point. I'll take my leave now." Ms Yoo announced. 

"Oh. Fine then. If you need any help with the breakthrough let me know." 

"I dont think so. Its because of your lack of breakthrough that your wife left you right ?" Jeongyeon said with a smirk. 

"Why you little..."

Before Nayeon could say anything else, Jeongyeon had already gone. 

"Heartless. Nothing good ever comes out of huh ?" 

 

 

...

 

 


"Ms Myoui. You know very well i'm not the sort of person to give second chances but because its for you i'm willing to stray away from my morals and give YOU a second chance." The way Jeongyeon spoke was enough to make a woman swoon, but unfortunately it had no effect on Mina. 

"Don't make me go competitive on this, Ms Myoui."

"Ms Yoo i've thought it through but i really-"

"You'll be promoted to Director. And if you find it tiring i will personally make sure that you will have one, no, two, no, as many assistants as you want to make sure you get the job done. And also, have your debts been paid off ? Because if they haven't i'll pay them for you."

"But Ms Yoo i-" 

"Furthermore, where else can you find a boss... that is as perfect as myself ?" Ms Yoo proclaimed, snapping her fingers and brandishing her trademark smirk.

"I don't blame you if you accept my offer straight away but i'll give you time to think it through and you can let me know your answer." 

"Actually i can let you know my answer now, Ms Yoo," said Mina.

"And ? Have i made you excited ?" 

"No, now, i'm even more certain that i should resign so that i can get away from this mess quickly," Mina said. 

 

 

...

 

 

The room was filled with laughter, laughter coming out of the mouth of Im Nayeon. "Your laughing face and your laughter 𝘪𝘳𝘳𝘪𝘵𝘢𝘵𝘦𝘴 me," Jeongyeon said. Nayeon noticed her best friend's stern face and immediately kept quiet, but still barely managed to stifle a giggle at the thought of the whole situation. 

"So, you offered Ms Myoui a position as a Director and even offered her so many other perks but she STILL turned you down ?" Nayeon asked, still struggling to hold in her laughter. "Yes. I just dont get it. There must be a reason for why she still wants to resign. But what is it ?" 

"Maybe there was a certain trigger that made her decide to resign ?"

"Trigger ?" 

𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘦 𝘰𝘯 𝘮𝘺 𝘱𝘦𝘳𝘧𝘦𝘤𝘵 𝘣𝘳𝘢𝘪𝘯, 𝘪𝘵𝘴 𝘵𝘪𝘮𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘨𝘰 𝘵𝘰 𝘸𝘰𝘳𝘬, Jeongyeon thought. 

 

[Two days ago]


"Jeongyeonie~"


Fashion model Jeon Somi walked up to Jeongyeon, clinging onto the Chairperson's arm as soon as she got close. Jeongyeon pushed her arm off in a slight manner. "What are you doing here Somi ?" Jeongyeon asked. "Oh... i was invited as a celebrity and because i saw your name on the guest list, i decided to surprise you !" Somi replied with a smile. 


"Oh by the way, have you forgotten what day is it today ?" Somi asked. 


"No ? I don't think i have ?" Jeongyeon replied. 


"Tch, you don't even remember that it's my birthday today ? Even a bouquet of flowers would do just fine but guess i'll have to settle for nothing." Somi pouted. 


Mina, taking the initiative before Ms Yoo could say anything, ran off to find the nearest flower boutique. 


"Give me a bouquet of flowers please." 


A series of sneezes ensued, since Mina was extremely allergic to pollen. But when duty calls, she has to put aside her personal conditions to do her job well. She ran back to the party, sneezing along the way. 


"Aww, thank you Jeongyeonie~" Somi cooed.


Jeongyeon smiled, however she couldn't help but notice that Mina's eyes were tearing up...

 

[Present]


"Ah... so it's the "I have to buy flowers for another girl, i can't take it anymore, im resigning" kind of situation ?" Nayeon asked.


"That's not it." 


Jeongyeon chuckled. 


"Ah, how have i not realised it sooner... Jeongyeon ah you really are dumb." 


"Yes, yes you are dumb." Nayeon muttered


"Ms Myoui's personal reason for resigning is..." 


Jeongyeon flicked her wrists, adjusted her tie, put her hands on her waist. 


"Aish why do i have a bad feeling about what your guess is..." Nayeon lamented. 


"Ms Myoui... likes me."

 

 

...


"Ms Myoui."

"Yes, Ms Yoo ? Is there a reason for why you've called me ?" 

"I need you to drive for me."

"Have you been drinking Ms Yoo ?"

"You know where i am, come pick me up."

"But wait Ms Yoo-"

Jeongyeon hung up, smiling to herself. 


...


Mina was driving the car, with Jeongyeon riding shotgun. 


"I think i have understood a little for how much you have suffered for these past 9 years Ms Myoui, so why don't you take a day off tomorrow, a 𝘴𝘱𝘦𝘤𝘪𝘢𝘭 day off." 


"Really ? You're really giving me a day off tomorrow, Ms Yoo ?"


"Yes, for you to rest and also for you to think twice about your decision." 


"Ah okay. Thank you Ms Yoo !"


Jeongyeon smiled to herself.


"So... where have you decided to go after you resign, Ms Myoui ?"


"I'm not sure." Mina replied. 


"Have you found a job ?"


"No."


"No ? Then why are you deciding to quit without making such basic plans ?" 


"I... want to pick up my life now. I've decided that i want my life back and start living for myself. Not as someone's secretary, not as a housewife, but for myself, Myoui Mina." Mina replied with a smile.

 

 

...

 

 

"Then how about the all these years she spent with me... is that not her life ?Wasn't she living her life ?" 


Jeongyeon sat in her bed. She wasn't able to sleep at all for the whole night. 


She let the shower run, still deep in thought. 


Jeongyeon put on her suit, adjusting her tie and combing her hair. She ran a hand through the hair that sat on her forehead.


"Ow !" She combed her hair up, and stared at the mirror before her in disbelief. 


"A pimple... how dare it find its way onto my classy forehead ?!" Jeongyeon exclaimed.


...

 

Mina rolled around in her bed. "Ah... how long has it been since i could sleep in like this ?" She stretched in her bed, kicking her legs in excitement. Even though Ms Yoo had given her a day off, she still had to be at the office to give an interview to the new candidate for her secretary position. Time to get up, she thought. For the first time in years, she could take her time to shower, take her time to put on her make-up and take her time to choose which outfit she'll wear for the day. It felt refreshing. 


Mina opened the door to her apartment. The morning sun shone down on her. "Ah... how long has it been since i went to work in this daylight... it feels great~" Mina said to herself, inhaling the fresh morning breeze.


Jeongyeon sat down on the couch, snacking on the red ginseng sweet. 

"Yah... what has gotten into you ? Didn't you say that that sweet probably only had 0.03% red ginseng and tons of sugar ? Why are you eating it now..." Nayeon questioned her best friend. Sometimes, she didn't really understand what's going on in Jeongyeon's head.

"She said she wants to get her life back... what does it mean ? She works 8 hours a day, for 9 years straight which makes it 26,280 hours. Plus the fact that she works 18 extra hours a week for 9 years so that makes it approximately 34,700 hours. We've spent more time than most married couples do... does it mean nothing to her ?"

Nayeon was baffled at how Jeongyeon was able to calculate all of that but to be honest its nothing out of the ordinary.

"Yah... i know she's competent and all and you feel attached to her but don't you think you've been too overly bothered by this ? By any chance... have you developed feelings for her ?" questioned Nayeon.

"Have you lost your mind ?"

"Then why are you so bothered by it ?"

"Ah and you dont even let guys touch you, only Ms Myoui." 

"You know very well i dont like guys Ms Im."

"Yes i know but isn't it weird ? You dont like guys, which means you like girls, but you dont even let other girls touch you, just Ms Myoui."

"I just dont like girls touching me."

"But Ms Myoui...?"

Jeongyeon put up a hand. "Ms Myoui... is Ms Myoui. That's enough, i'll take my leave now."

"Yah... what is that girl saying..."

 

...

 

"Ms Yoo, the candidate for the secretary position is here," announced Jihyo 

"Let her in, i'll be interviewing her. Ms Myoui, you should sit in too."

"Yes, Ms Yoo."

 


Kim Yerim was seated on the couch opposite of Jeongyeon and Mina, with her hand on her lap and with a bright smile on her face. 

"Ms Kim Yerim, if you get this position will you live as Ms Kim Yerim, or as Secretary Kim ?"

"As Secretary Kim Yerim of course. I'll be Secretary Kim, and also Kim Yerim." Yerim replied with a smile.

Jeongyeon nodded her head in acknowledgement.

"Ms Yerim, what do you think it's like working for a boss that is already perfect ?" 

Mina smiled to herself.

"It will be very exciting," replied Yerim. 

"Do you think you can satisfy a boss that is already perfect ?Are you able to give your all ?" Mina asked. 

Jeongyeon was taken aback at the sudden question. 

"Umm... i guess it won't be easy."

"I need someone that won't give ridiculous excuses like "personal reasons". Can you provide that Ms Yerim ?" 

"Yes Ms Yoo. I'll work here for the rest of my life if i get this job," replied Yerim. 

"But what if you die on the job ?" Mina piped in. 

Jeongyeon rolled her eyes. 

"Oh... is it that intense ?"

"It is intense but we pay much better than all the other companies in the whole of South Korea." 

"The pay is good, but you will have no life and you will just exist as Secretary Kim," Mina stated.

"Is that how you see it Ms Myoui ? Are all the years you put into this job not considered your life ?" Jeongyeon asked. 

"I- i will do my best if you hire me !" Yerim proclaimed. 

"You're hired !" Jeongyeon announced. 

"What- what really ?" Yerim asked.

"Ms Park." 

"Yes, Ms Yoo ?" 

"Take Ms Yerim around the office and get her familiarised. As for you Ms Myoui, i want you to train Ms Yerim and make her your exact clone before you resign." 

"Yes Ms Yoo." 

"Thank you Ms Yoo ! I won't let you down !"

Yerim and Jihyo left the office, and Mina got up from her seat. 

"Wait." 

"You said you wanted your life back. What exactly did you mean by that, Ms Myoui ?"

"My life has always been about work. Now i just want some time for myself," replied Mina.

"And ?"

"And... i'm 29 years old now, it's time for me to start dating and maybe get married..." 

Jeongyeon stood up. 

"Is that the reason for why you want to resign ? Have you been seeing someone behind my back ?"

"No, Ms Yoo, i haven't"

"Good, that's how it should be." 

"What ?" Mina asked.

"Hmm ?"

"I never had the time for dating. I always had to be at work at 6am in the morning and i never knew what time i could get off." 

"So ? You're not being persuasive enough, Ms Myoui." 

"At this rate, i'll probably grow up all alone and i'll never get married," Mina replied. 

"Is that it ?"

"I'm trying to say that what happens if i get on your bad side, if i get fired and there's no one to take care of me ?" 

"Alright, then i'll make sure that you'll never get fired."

"But then that means you want me to be keep working as your secretary, until i grow old." 

Jeongyeon thought about it for a while.

"So... you want to resign, because you want to get married." 

"Yes, Ms Yoo." 

"Okay. If that's the case..." 

 

 

 

 


"I, Yoo Jeongyeon, will marry you."