Road Less Taken

Our Love Story: The Chobom Timeline
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It was a sunny Saturday morning as Hayoung opened her eyes. A wonderful weekend break for sleeping in and going out. 

No Chorong screaming in anybody's ear. No drilling sighs. Nothing to hurry. 

Their schedules still seemed kind of busy even outside of preparing for new music. There were magazine shoots, invitations to events and meeting fans in other countries. But otherwise, these were the more restful times. Perhaps they could really slow down and think about what they have going for them.

Hayoung was just relieved not to hear the threat of the leader's tone that morning. These days, Chorong would complain that the kids don't stop playing when she tells them to anymore. Hayoung was one of them! To be honest though, the maknae was only saved by being backed up by her like-minded members, and especially Bomi unnie as an accomplice. 

When Hayoung had really woken up, she found a note with their breakfast on the counter but nothing else. Even Chorong's door was open, and no unnies were in there. 

Chorong must have gone out… with Bomi? 

Bomi was also gone. Huh? This early? As Hayoung cautiously peeked into the other unnies' room, she found Namjoo sitting at the desk and makeup mirror. Eunji, of course, wouldn't be waking from her covers till noon. 

"Oh, Namjoo unnie, do you know where Chorong and Bomi unnies went?"

"They went out hiking," Namjoo answered, brushing her hair. 

"Ah, the two of them?"

"Yeah, they went with oppa-"

With men?!

"What? Where? WHO?" Hayoung shouted unusually loudly. 

"Yah, you're the weird one here! Who else do you think?"

 

 

For some time, Chorong and Bomi kept talking about wanting to go hiking together, so much so that the members thought it was possible to be addicted to hiking, but the two unnies had never actually gone together before. It was a good chance for them to exercise, too, as the members held responsibility for their own fitness and were finding their own preferences for working out. 

That's how the two decided to go hiking the day before the group's anniversary.

The morning was quietly exciting for both of them, simple with hearts fluttering in tune. The forecast predicted clear skies and more sun by the early afternoon. Chorong packed some tangerines and tarts she had prepared into Bomi's backpack, and the two, fresh-faced in thin jackets, set out for the day. 

Car doors slid open at the foot of the mountain, their runners hitting the trail with an eagerness to start the journey. 

It was a nice feeling. And it was a date.

Even with a manager there, this actually felt like a date! The kind of active dates that young people would go on, out on adventures. Looking at each other not just in romance, but seeing her as a good companion, a buddy, a partner to enjoy any activity together.

Around twenty minutes into the walk, Bomi looked at some patches of grass and pine trees sheepishly to no avail.  

"We… went the wrong way?"

"Looks like we did," their manager agreed, inspecting the route, or lack thereof. "Yeah, I don't think we were supposed to go here." 

Chorong pointed accusingly at Bomi. "Yah~ you were the one who picked the trail."

"Wha-? But neither of you said anything!"

"Because I thought you knew where you were going! We just followed."

Bursting out laughing, there were still chances they might mess up when they were out together. No wonder the hiking felt like rock climbing! 

Although it meant bowing their heads in apology to the aunts and uncles who unwittingly followed them, it became a funny story of their walk. 

With the effortless encouragement in keeping up with her, it was a chance to be this happy with her under the wide skies. It was Bomi's cheeky grin that reminded Chorong why she was here, warming her body more than the sweat and the sunlight. 

They later reached the top of the hike with renewed energy, and that determination to push on allowed them to bask in their achievement. 

Taking a breather on a rock, Chorong leaned back onto Bomi's shoulder and they enjoyed a moment of rest in that closeness, viewing the different generations of hikers that passed them by; the elderly on their regular exercise, and working adults meeting friends on the next mountain like a usual thing.

Their manager helped them snap a few shots together like that and a simple adoration rose within Bomi. Watching the content upturn of Chorong's soft features, without a care for their surroundings, Bomi's lips made contact with Chorong's cheek.

It surprised her too when Chorong jolted and half-squealed. 

Chorong looked around. 

Should we be more careful?

It was just on the cheek but why did the simple act make Chorong blush so furiously… It was because it was in public, and no matter what, she won't stand for that.

Hitting Bomi on the shoulder when they successfully diverted the attention of their manager, Chorong fired in a whisper, "Don't do that!" 

"Do what?" Bomi said innocently, earning her another hit. "Ow, wait, unnie, that hurt."

"For doing that- that kind of affection in public."

"You mean my little kiss?" Bomi teased by puckering her lips out cutely. Chorong lowered her head more in embarrassment, as if the low brim of her cap didn't cover her face enough. 

"Not…out here. Don't talk like that here, with people around."

Bomi looked at Chorong sitting still and she was made aware of what Chorong must be thinking, tracing it back. "Okay, okay," she said, hoping to calm her.

"That surprised me, Bbom-ah."

"Unnie, you know, it doesn't have to be a big deal if you just didn't scream like that."

"How can it not be a big deal?! It's…" 

Chorong frantically met a warm smile on the dancer's face. Was Bomi teasing her? Hunched shoulders straightened with a huff.

"Yah, I mean it. Please don't, Bbom-ah."

There was a caution there, and Bomi finally nodded. She was in the wrong a bit; she knew. But she couldn't help it just then… wanting to enjoy a normal date. Wanting to express herself like that.

To be falling in love that she forgets how the world works.

"Sorry, unnie."

Perhaps the fear had never really been about behaving in other countries, but mostly how to behave in their own country. The reason it had taken them this long to go on such an outing? It was for safety above all else.

"Hmm, but don't you know this, oppa?" Bomi chided their manager over lunch. "Just like that path we took today, when you're stuck choosing between two roads and there's a road less taken, you take it. You go where others have never gone before."

"Uh… I didn't think that had a literal meaning."

They laughed together. It was Bomi's wise teachings and nonsense sayings that came randomly whether or not their managers wanted to hear.

"Hey, I'm being serious! We never know for sure what path lies ahead of us, but you never know unless you try. Sometimes you have to be unafraid to make the path yourself."

To make the path yourself. That's what people say about life, don't they? They started on this journey to become singers, and they came to find each other.

And when life throws something unexpected, whether it's positive or negative, a piece of news or an opportunity, or falling in love… They just had to take each step as it came.

They were also going all in, with no regrets. She can't regret it.

That's what they would keep having to learn, between their precious moments that made them happy, and the consciousness of their relationship.

 

——

 

On that same weekend, the group's 4th anniversary would be a happy downtime for the members, coloured with the buzz of drinks and newly-bought friendship rings, gathered in the living room for an evening chat. It was their first time drinking together as the anniversary also marked Hayoung's coming-of-age. 

The members all reaching adulthood used to be something they only thought of for the future. Now, it was all true. 

Hayoung was trying a little to drink with liqueur that was gifted to them by fans, sitting full in the fridge. 

Although most of the members couldn't drink very well and preferred to eat more, talk more, they teased and watched their youngest member cautiously sip from the glass. 

Chorong being ever-understanding had poured just a little, against the cheeky jokes from the members to pour more. However, they were just empty words that meant no harm. Hayoung wasn't keen to find her drunk habits just yet. 

Bomi pointed across her seat at Chorong. "How do you never get drunk, unnie?"

"It's just you who gets drunk too fast, Bbom-ah."

"What? I'm nnnot dddrunk."

Little blushes hidden in a warmer temperature, playful remarks were thrown between them even if they weren't sitting together. There were many times Chorong fell a little deeper inside, but she chose to focus on the evening for their members. In her mind, the times she would have with Bomi would be a lot more than this, so she wanted to celebrate it equally. Maybe a part of her was forgetting that they were Apink just as much as the rest of them.

The members were laughing loudly at Hayoung's bittered face when Chorong was distracted by a touch on her shoulder, coming quietly to her without a sound. 

"What are you doing here?"

"Nothing… hehe."

Namjoo had just left the seat to get some cola and would have to deal with it when she came back, not that Bomi really cared at this moment.

The dancer fell in with the leader, subtly wrapping around her side. 

Bomi claimed she wasn't drunk but her cheeks were coloured again from drinking, which was what always happened. Bomi turned red quite easily with alcohol, and it made Chorong want to pinch her cheeks because of it. 

Still, it was endearing… to be held like this, to be loved, to be wanted. Chorong knew she shouldn't be thinking this right now with her members, but it does make her feel assured. In Bomi's lazy embrace. 

And to think, just earlier, Bomi had been complaining of the aches she got from their hiking date and now softly falling asleep on her after a drink. Or so she thought.

The temperature skyrocketed as Chorong started blushing from her neck; Bomi was kissing her there! Ticklish, and Chorong tried to shrug the kisses. She ducked her head discreetly. Bomi just held her tighter and the butterflies were making Chorong's stomach flip. 

Unable to speak, she elbowed Bomi a little.

Bomi just hummed, rousing from the position. But just when Chorong thought she was okay, Bomi leaned lips into a brush to her jaw.

"Wow Rongie unnie, you look like you've had a lot to drink."

"No, I haven't!" Chorong bickered back, the furious whispers turning some heads. The members looked at them amused. 

When that pause was used again as Bomi's chance to kiss, Chorong darted her head away and this time she burst. "No, no, no, yah! Not here!"

The room filled with laughter, almost like they were back on a reality show and nothing had changed. Laughing, that despite how soft the unnies have gotten recently, the two still play funny in a push and pull. Chorong will still recoil, but at least it will save their eyes. 

The scene wasn't thought of as anything other than the common occurrence; chaste kisses that Bomi has always teased Chorong with, at the strangest of times. 

Chorong sighed, budging their arms to fit Bomi's hand in hers and satisfy the display of affection wanted. 'Even just a little bit, please?' Bomi seemed to say with her movements, secretly, out of view. After intertwining their fingers, Bomi seemed happy enough and rested her chin on Chorong's shoulder again… the final little interaction lasting for the seconds that no one noticed. 

It's a wonderful anniversary, and a wonderful love to share in it too.

 

 

Bomi fancafe!

"Out of so many people, Rong unnie, Eunji, Naeun, Namjoo, Hayoung became my members so I am really happy and I really want us to be together for a long long time! Our dongsaengs follow the unnies really well so we are thankful and my friend Eunji, you know you are awesome right?

Rong unnie who thinks for the team more than anyone else, I love you a lot

We have done well so far but I hope we can continue running with the same heart, just like how we do now

I really love my Apink

I'm Apink but… I'm an Apink fan

I love you sleep well… I love you

I'm thankful to alllllllll

LOL…… This is totally the top of cringeworthiness"

 

 

 

 

 

 

The dancer was shaken up a little to get ready for bed. Even half-awake, Bomi lightly held her lover's hand in the direction of Chorong's room. Chorong reluctantly had to hold her back, correcting her assumption.

"I… think we should go to our own rooms for tonight."

"Can't I sleep with you?"

"Not when we drank quite a bit, Bbom-ah."

Bomi gave her a pleading look, but she took it obediently.

 

——

 

They became occupied with more behind-the-scenes activities in secret. The members were lacking sleep after taking their album jacket photos the previous day since dawn. They still had to get up in the morning to look presentable before going to the airport. Some of the members were even wearing remnants of yesterday's makeup, which Chorong grimaced at and pretended not to see. 

More

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter