Valentine's With You

Our Love Story: The Chobom Timeline
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Dressed in stylish grey school uniforms, Apink had been shooting promotional videos in advance for the release of their 2nd Japanese single "Mr Chu". Everything from album jacket photos to music video production had long been completed and ready to go, setting the girls up for a schedule performing around Japan after their activities in Korea. 

Included in these preparations would be a special Valentines-themed fanmeeting, so the girls were recording short interviews that would be used in the fanmeeting VCR. 

"Not only lovers, but also, giving presents to friends," Chorong was saying, recalling memories of Valentine's Day. "I remember giving a lot each time, exchanging sweets, chocolates, and candies, with my friends."

For someone who might've thought a little indifferently about those special days to celebrate with a lover, Chorong had always been a meticulous gift-giver with the lucky people close to her. Maybe that was why the thought of a Valentine's Day gift for Bomi seemed to matter to Chorong a little more. She liked to take care of the girl. It was in her nature. It wasn't uncommon at all for Chorong to cook and make snacks for the members, especially for Bomi. The two were amazing friends to begin with, and her feelings had only grown from that. 

Or maybe she was just really soft for the girl.

"To prevent a fight between the members, I want to make a really big chocolate cake... And I want to give it to Bomi. So she can share it with the other members," Chorong admitted with a breathy laugh. 

"Waaa~" At that, Bomi could be heard calling out excitedly in the background. 

"Yeah.. I feel sorry to only give to one member," Chorong tried to acknowledge, but now Bomi was making her way over to the camera and it made Chorong smile embarrassed. "Hey don't come here~!" 

Behind the figure of a shy Chorong, Bomi had already begun her cheesy celebratory march across the screen. 

Looking back, maybe that time had been Chorong's indirect confession, but Bomi had been too overjoyed by the prospect of Chorong's chocolate to really notice.

When it was her turn for the pre-recording, Bomi was asked what she would like as a Valentine's Day present and the staff member added, "Actually, Chorong-ssi chose you as the member she wanted to give chocolate."

Bomi let out a silent gasp, hands over her face in excitement. "I heard!" she chuckled lightly.

"To be honest, it seems that she really wants to give me chocolate. Looks like she really wants to make it for me! I have to thank Chorong unnie for that," Bomi said happily. "I want to receive chocolate from Chorong unnie!" 

Please give me! I want it! ♡^ ^♡

 

She didn't realise Chorong's feelings for her then. She didn't realise Chorong was flirting. Making wishes shyly. Bomi thought it was all about the leader's kindness as a sister and a friend, preparing little gifts in the way they often spent Valentine's in the years past. Bomi had no idea the emotional ride they would go through, just to start the year.

From missing each other badly to loving each other gladly, covering up their feelings would only let the problem grow until it reached that breaking point. A crucial moment. And in desperation to resolve the fight, it all came to light; their feelings, their worries, their pain and pining, and—

 

Love. 

 

It seemed easy and natural. It made sense. Their strong bond was bringing them even closer, already filled with trust and understanding. 

But it could be awkward. It was awkward sometimes. From an awkward kiss to an uneasy mood, anxious fears still under the surface. But they knew better than anyone that they should talk about these things.

It was surreal, honestly. After all they went through individually. After all Bomi went through, caring for Chorong from the side. After all Chorong went through, fighting to keep her feelings locked up. It was hard to believe they could really be together. 

But no one would have to know. 

 

——

 

"Rong unnie, can I sleep with you today?"

Bomi lay down a little rigidly, as Chorong shuffled over to give her some room on the small bed. Feeling the warmth of her body made it less like winter, and yet, what was with this atmosphere? They lay there for a minute like sticks, neither one feeling sure what to say. Chorong could start laughing at their situation now, and that's what she did, breaking the ice.

"Yah! Why is it so awkward? Huh?"

Bomi visibly relaxed and giggled with her. Laughter always seemed to make things comfortable again in this awkward stage, unsure what they were. Bomi kicked off the floor to squeeze in a little closer. Her arm overlapped Chorong's. 

A week ago, Bomi might have frozen at such contact, but she was telling herself to be braver now. She wasn't going to overthink it. No, Bomi was playing to her spontaneity. She went for it. 

Holding her hand, unlike with anyone else, would cause hearts to beat faster. Looking into each other's eyes, it all seemed so much clearer now. They could see the nervousness, the blushing, like schoolgirls crushing on each other; their friends teasing them any chance they could get. 

"We're okay, right?" Bomi asked, trying to keep her mind off the heartbeat pumping down her arm; their fingers loosely laced together under the covers. 

It was fine when they were just friends. It was fine when they thought the other didn't know. Now the mysterious barrier had shattered, and there was that... weirdness they felt, holding onto something that scared them at the same time. 

"Bbom-ah. You know we have to think about.. what will happen if this doesn't work." Chorong bit the inside of her cheek, chest twisting just having to say it. "Do you think we'll still be friends?" 

It left a bitterness in , this something they have to address. This something she's been anxious over. Worry. Doubt. What they have now could make or break them more than ever. 

The pain, like this love, would be greater than anything she's felt before. A tragedy after all these years they've known each other... because, how do you even begin to date your best friend? Turning that friendship you've always had into something romantic. They hadn't thought that far ahead, past the fears and worries of what could happen. The world didn't collapse. Their secret wasn't out. They only confessed to each other, and everything was better than they could've imagined, like the members had known it all along. 

Chorong was secretly terrified, tiptoeing their relationship carefully. Thinking ahead about all the things that could go wrong and trying to avoid them. They have to go slow. They need space apart. They can't neglect their friendships. Anything between them stays private, only at home. 

Performances, keep them professional. Travelling and going out to eat, remember the members around you. Walk a few steps apart, a few seats apart. Smile and play around, hold onto someone else. Don't come to me, as much as you want to. 

Because the one thing I can't resist is you.

With them dating, things could be irreparable. Irreversible. 

The fear came at her belatedly again, scared out of her mind to lose Bomi. She's dating one of her members. It could sound like the most ridiculous thing. The kind of story you would repeat in different words, trying to emphasise how strange it truly is on each utterance, but doing so wouldn't change the original point at all. 

"I'm sorry, it's not like that. Really." Chorong moved back in her shame. Shame for asking the question. Shame for this conflict inside her. Bomi didn't answer for what felt like a long time, and it was scaring her a little. 

Chorong was asking something scary, but that didn't mean she was giving up so easily. No, she wasn't. She loves this woman.

Her hand that fits snugly in mine, is heaven, and when we kissed—oh God when we kiss—it feels like everything out of a wish, a dream, sliding into place. I love her. I do love her. 

But it's hard to enjoy something freely like this, with no concern for the consequences. There was guilt in this.

Idols are humans too. Idols need love, and Chorong has never felt so ready for it. She's already found someone. Unbeknownst to the outside world. 

No. They have to hide it. They can't let it slip. They can't act out of the ordinary. 

"Do.. Do you think we could still be friends?" the younger girl returned weakly. There was such pain in Bomi's voice, Chorong felt the flood of regret in asking the question. Of course it would come to this line of thought.  

She wanted to respond, 'Yes! Of course we'll still be friends! Even if it's hard, we'll take the time and make it work...' But Bomi was faster to answer, looking her in the eyes with that heavy yearning in her heart, and Chorong succumbed to it. 

"Unnie, I don't wanna think about that. It.. really hurts." 

It was painful. A deep punch to the gut. A dark and treacherous path they could get lost in; losing each other as they might lose themselves in this dangerous thing called love. 

"We don't know what will happen, so let's not worry about something like that, okay?" 

Bomi's soft pleas brought her back, into those chocolate eyes that showed only love, tenderness, and at times like these, that upsetting waver in confidence. Bomi. Always the first to cry at feeling such strong emotions. The danger never came from her. 

And she's right... All this worry has been stressing Chorong out, fearful over something that hasn't happened, and who's to say that will happen? She was the Park Chorong who bravely confessed to Bomi, wanting to go all in with her, and feel the kind of love she has to offer. 

"I just know I want to be with you," Bomi spoke again, somehow having that magic of calming her down and igniting her simultaneously. 

Yeah. Let's not think about that right now. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

With the leader seeming to have fallen asleep, Bomi took the chance to prop up on her side comfortably, just softly gazing at Chorong's face before sleeping. 

It was so calm these days. And the older girl was just here in front of her, staying with her, not thinking of her any differently. Chorong felt something for her too. Something out of a dream was made possible... 

Bomi was really in awe. She was also kicking herself for not noticing Chorong's feelings toward her earlier. Still, there was a lot to be careful of. Bomi wasn't ignoring the fact that Chorong doesn't fall for people easily.

But Chorong confessed, kissed her first. The leader's been having the same worries as her for some time, fully aware of the responsibilities as their leader too. Bomi cried to think that all this time, it had always been harder on Chorong's shoulders. She should've noticed it. Why didn't she?

"It must've been so difficult," Bomi mumbled, especially understanding where Chorong was coming from. The struggle with falling for a woman for the first time and rediscovering her identity... Chorong had kept it from her, when it was something she would've needed Bomi with the most. She couldn't be there for her.

But we're here now. We're here.

The time now was precious, and Bomi didn't want to make any wrong moves. It was fragile, and she didn't want to break what they had. 

She wanted to cuddle up warmly, kiss her deeply, feel the woman by her side completely, like diving into safety and comfort... But, not yet. It's not like that yet. Bomi can't. These were her urges for affection; the surprising intensity of her own feelings. Her heart would shake at these thoughts, because she wanted to do these things sincerely, happily, when both of them would be ready, at the right time. It wasn't about winding Chorong up. It was about waiting for her. They were still talking seriously in between playing like kids, and they agreed to get used to the change slowly.

Sometimes, it just hurt to do something as much as it hurt to do nothing. 

Bomi exhaled a deep breath, shaking her head and drawing her eyes to the person sleeping peacefully by her side. She knew she was thinking a lot. It was about time Bomi went to sleep too.

 

——

 

They kiss sometimes, a few times now... One, two... Three, four... Secretly, behind closed doors. Nothing too strong, just pecks, but when it's Chorong, she'll savour it every time she can. Those flutters of affection that surprise Bomi, coming from someone who once claimed they were so opposed to it. 

It was one thing to play like the good friends they were. It was another thing to act on the romantic things they had been feeling. 

With how comfortable they had been with each other before all this, it was crazy to think their confession might change things, pulling them apart rather than pushing them together. But they still had time. 

The lead up to Valentine's just made them even more shy. 

Although it was a time to appreciate friends too, it's widely known as a day for lovers. It could also be something to celebrate with family, and that was especially the case for Bomi, who often called whenever she thought of her parents. She really missed them. So, when Bomi told the members she was going home for a couple days, they understood completely. 

However, they couldn't help but look at Chorong rather pitifully, and the leader was going to get annoyed soon if they didn't stop. 

The girls wouldn't be celebrating all of Valentine's Day on their own this year. They were flying to Japan for their Mr. Chu promotions, starting the mini tour with a special Valentine's fanmeeting. Bomi would be back from her parents' place just in time for their evening flight. 

"That's not romantic!" Namjoo had complained about the couple's plans for that day, or lack thereof. Hayoung and Naeun also. The maknae line liked the idea of romantic stuff the most, although... Hayoung was weird about the skinship part—we know that—and Naeun at the same time didn't care for certain things, like, why people buy chocolates to melt and reshape and freeze them again... 

Chorong t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter