Closer

Our Love Story: The Chobom Timeline
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

When Chorong pulled away from the hug, she wasn't sure if she should give in. Seeing the disguised hurt in Bomi's eyes, Chorong had to wonder if there was a better way. 

The muted sound of ocean waves rose and fell in their ears. And then their time was up.

Their time should have been up, when a commotion almost occurred. The light flooded from the opening bathroom door and Eunji stepped out, scaring them. Chorong and Bomi stood in the corridor with tears in their eyes. The mood wasn't too good. Their friend was quick to ask what was going on.

"Ahh!—Uh? Are you two crying? What happened?" 

"Eun—"

Chorong beat Bomi to it. "Eunji-ya, can you give us a few more minutes? It's important, please." She almost begged, needing to concentrate on this. 

Eunji looked between them. "Alright, but tell me when you're done. I don't want to lose more phone battery in here…" And the door closed again. 

In the agonising seconds that followed, Chorong tried to think like it was just her and Bomi again. In between moments with others; these were situations where Chorong would normally give way to their interrupted moments and let life move them on. 

Except, this wasn't something they could fix without talking. Chorong made a mistake, a misjudgement. 

"Bomi…" 

Could they possibly give into a relaxed feeling, and just love? 

Chorong broke her own rule first, unable to go the whole night without feeling Bomi, and remembering what she was fighting for. That would only lead Bomi to plead with her and call it off. 

She honestly had been stunned by Bomi's request. Chorong both knew and didn't know Bomi would be like that. It was still easy to make mistakes, when Bomi always listened to her and considered her first. 

"I get it. We're not at home… but does that really mean we can let it go a little bit?" Chorong whispered. 

"A little. I hope," Bomi mumbled, revealing what she wanted. "I'm not saying that we should be careless, but, just to be ourselves… I'd be happy enough if we didn't have to think about how we touch." 

Almost to make it her point, Bomi's hand dropped to Chorong's fingers, both women watching the way they could safely lock them together. It tugged Chorong's heart. 

"It's… when unnie holds hands with the other members like this, without worries, and I feel like I'm the only one who can't. When unnie forgets what she said, and comes over to play with me, only to stop and leave when she remembers we're not supposed to be touching." Bomi frowned, her words seeming cute and childish in her upset tone. "Mm.. I'm sorry when I do something uncomfortable with us. I never want you to feel anything like that. But, at the same time, I didn't like how this went today, unnie…" 

Chorong's mouth opened, feeling like she burned herself just from hearing it all. "I've been doing that?" 

"Unnie has a lot of worries. Sorry, I don't mean to add more." 

"No, no—"

"But I did feel kind of hurt by it.." Bomi said quietly. 

Chorong dropped her head. "No, I admit it was wrong too. I was being careful to maybe an unnecessary point with you today… I'm sorry, Bbom-ah." 

So, it wasn't that Bomi can't take it seriously, or that Bomi wants them to play in public. That would be something crazy.

But, perhaps Chorong was feeling kinda crazy, too.

Who tells their lover to stay away from them?

Yes, they are women, together, luckily, and happily. Ideally that's what it should be. Instead, their secret was scaring her in the moments they shared outside. And even here. Chorong was fearing what it means to slip up and be found out… and in the opposite way, there was also what it means for their love to feel hurt from her own actions. 

It's still something delicate. In protecting each other, it can hurt them too, in this cage they put themselves in. Chorong was close to reverting to ideas before they were together; hiding her feelings, keeping them apart. 

"So, please, unnie…"

Nothing was going on… Nothing is going to fall apart.

Although Chorong can't see the future, in the present is Bomi in front of her. Bomi, looking at her through the dim lighting with a sad pout and a sniffly nose, and Chorong cupped her cheek. 

"Okay…" Chorong whispered, understanding it as best she could. "Then, we can be ourselves, Bbom-ah. We can be ourselves, if that will make us feel better."

It will. 

Bomi's weight leaned into her again. "Thank you, unnie. Thank you… and I'm sorry, again. I know we want to be careful, but I… I'm finding it hard in moments where I just want to be near you and nothing else." 

Chorong felt more apologetic. Moving her chin to Bomi's shoulder, Chorong wrapped around her tightly with a squeeze. Her heart was telling her that their compromise was the right thing, though a part of her mind did not. 

Unable to say how scared she feels; How holding Bomi makes the world disappear, and it worries her that she might lose control of her affections in a single moment, when it finally slips through that she's in love with her, through her eyes, her touch. And the magic shatters. 

 

 

But, being here… Holiday spots are where worries are let go. If Chorong had to think positively, then they were here for a healing, sure. They could spend their time here, with their love all over each other, and the tension, with all else forgotten.

A getaway without the worries. It could simply be… blissful. 

 

——

 

The sun was high in the sky, lighting up that breathtaking nature and stunning beauty of ocean; wonderfully clear and cobalt blue. That's when the MCs cheered to the cameras. 

"Weekly Idol Saipan Special! Together with, Apink!"

After what they said last night, Chorong and Bomi would begin the filming freely without thinking too much. Well, Chorong was still aware of their touches, but they were trying to keep it natural, and just do what they wanted to do. Moving and playing with the members the way they were comfortable to.

By the luck of rock-paper-scissors, Bomi joined Naeun, Chorong and Namjoo in —what the MC called— the beauties team. Eunji and Hayoung made up the other formidable team, one-upping their name as the super beauties! 

Bomi excitedly hugged Namjoo who matched her energy and— "You can't throw me away!" Bomi spat quickly, making the two uncle MCs lose their words in her wittiness. 

So the filming started, but… just between the two eldest members of Apink, a gravitational pull continued to reside. 

Although Chorong doesn't play games well, they now happened to be in the same team, so… Chorong didn't deter from sitting next to Bomi for the next segment, and Bomi appreciated that. She brushed the leader's knee for a second before the cameras started rolling, hoping that would give her unnie assurance. 

Let's be happy.

They were going to let things play however it may go. Like a healthy distraction from what they knew, from what thoughts go on in their minds. 

Bomi's energy was just all the way up. 

"Today we'll give the winning team, of each round, icy fruit juice from Saipan," said the PD off-camera. "The overall winning team will be rewarded with Saipan's special buffet. The losing team will receive the special Saipan penalty."

And, somehow, the couple managed to get physically closer through the games, as if they weren't already in places beside each other. 

Laughing when they want to laugh, slapping shoulders and linking arms. It's okay. 

Happily, trying their best, for everyone and each other. There's less to worry.

Light and pretty thoughts were in the girls' minds, the ocean winds brushing off all their worries. 

In one team game, Bomi held Chorong's waist. When they later celebrated in their team huddle, she took it for granted and wrapped an arm around Chorong's waist again. And for the few moments that came after, Chorong stayed linked with her, comfortably, naturally. 

Like how it's supposed to be. 

When they got the following quiz answer right, enthused hi-fives went around the team. Bomi cheered as the set of drinks arrived as their prize for that round.

"But why is there only three cups? Ah seriously," the MC complained for their team. However, the girls were fine with sharing between themselves.  

Bomi held the drink and straw to Chorong, no words needed to say she wanted her unnie to try it first. 

"Watermelon watermelon watermelon!" Bomi said excitedly. 

"No, no," Namjoo said beside the two, with herself and Naeun busily inhaling their drink. Bomi was unable to tell what taste it might be from their expressions. 

"It isn't? What juice is it—?"

"Delicious!" Chorong just said in thought after finishing her sip, and Bomi dove to the straw for her own try. 

 

 

Then, all of that delicious taste would be mixed down with saltwater in the strangest game for the final Saipan buffet prize. It was the race of the 93-line, Bomi against Eunji, running into the sea to collect the most seawater they can in one minute. 

Even with all the beauty team's efforts, wringing Bomi's clothes and hair like a piece of laundry, it seemed like they might lose it all. The super beauty team won the game, and Bomi cried with the seawater to think she would be losing out on the buffet lunch— 

…when the PD's signal made the MC's excitement stop. "Ahh, we need to answer the question first."

That's right. The beauty team still had one more chance. If Hayoung and Eunji answered incorrectly… then… 

"Oh please!" Naeun was hoping. 

And the beach turned loud. Chorong, Bomi, Naeun and Namjoo were cheering to have inadvertently won the buffet. 

Naeun celebrated by throwing the bowls that collected seawater as the members flew back laughing and repelled. "That's the water that Eunji spit out!" 

"I worked so hard, how can it be like that?" Eunji cried. On the positive side, the winning members kindly gave them the fruit drinks of the round to make up for it, because they worked so hard.

As the losing team unfortunately received their punishment, the winners were able to enjoy their special meal. 

The four dusted themselves off from the beach as much as they could. Bomi went for a rinse-down in the beach shower stalls with a baggy change of clothes ready, and her hair, now tied back up in a ponytail, was to dry rather quickly after the activity. 

"We'll eat well~" the four said happily, mouthwatering at the dishes in front of them. They sat at a table in a nice shaded little pavilion. 

Bomi took her seat next to Chorong. Sitting together with their elbows nudging sometimes, they tried out their coconut drinks. They enjoyed the food, together with the group, with small conversation. Perhaps, just mildly overlooking how their legs slightly touched beside each other. 

When they allowed simple things like this, there was a lot to already be happy for. 

 

——

 

They were filming for the second week's episode of the special broadcast too. In reality it was the next day. They were getting ready in the hotel to change into their swimming clothes, organised by their stylists. 

One of the first to get changed, Chorong received her share of clothes and went back to her room. She was almost done in the bathroom, just tying up her hair in a higher ponytail by the time the front door to the hotel room clicked and opened. 

"Oh, Namjoo-ya! Come here," Chorong called from the bathroom. But it wasn't Namjoo. 

"Unnie, you look really cute."

Bomi came into view, smiling from the mirror, and Chorong spun around for a better look at the girl, her eyes shining again under hotel lights. Honestly, the difference in that look was something Namjoo could feel jealous of. 

Bomi, with her hair tied up, looking cute too. She joined her inside, stepping into the bathroom to check her hair bun.

"Wow, is everyone going to look this good?" Chorong commented, walking straight to her, arms going around Bomi, softly pecking her on the lips. 

"What's that supposed to mean, unnie?" Bomi said, trying not to look so surprised. 

Chorong was feeling the elastic swimming material under her fingers. It was slim-fit and wrapped around Bomi's figure. It seemed they would all be wearing long-sleeve swimming clothes for this episode. 

"I mean, you look cute in your swimwear," Chorong said softly.

Now she could see that smile coming from the person she loves. Bomi was happily swaying with her response. 

It was better this way perhaps. Accepting their relationship just like they had back at home, and sharing their little moments like this. After discussing their situation, Chorong was relaxing more about it. A chance to feel fluttery like this may never come again, after all. And for Bomi, it was cute that there was this side of her unnie. 

"But I just hope we're not swimming," Chorong added. 

"Oh, right? I hope not.." Bomi agreed, knowing that neither of them could swim. What could they expect from the next segment of the show though?

"I guess we'll have to go down and see. I'm ready now, so.. let's go?" Chorong suggested, now done and ready to head out. Unexpectedly though, Bomi shook her head. "Huh? Why, Bbom-ah?"

"Well.." Bomi was failing at hiding her intentions. Chorong narrowed her eyes when Bomi broke into a big smile. "We can have time for another moment, hm? What do you think, unnie?" 

 

 

The two soon walked down to meet up with Hayoung among the few people down the hall. Namjoo had turned up along the way, hurrying up from breakfast to go get changed, and they were waiting on the others to get ready. With the couple's hands not dropping just yet, their maknae greeted them with a cheeky grin. 

"Oh, it's smudged, unnie?" Hayoung gestured to her lips. 

The two unnies frantically looked at one another, but there was nothing there. Not even a smidge of a smudge from any lip products. 

"Yah! You, you lie!" Bomi shouted, catching the trick first and leaping towards their meddlesome maknae. 

The thing was they weren't the only ones surprised. Hayoung was gaping at them in genuine shock at their response. 

"Unnie!! Yah- Did you actually?!" she blurted.

And so their big day continued. 

 

——

 

The filming started brightly again for the next part of the special. Time was just breezing by for a variety show with dancing, games and fun. 

"Many people want to appear on Weekly Idol. People around me," Bomi said about the program. When asked who, Bomi suddenly had to think on the spot, and the image of a life-saver came to her; a singer in their company. "Around me there's.. Huh Gak oppa!"

"He came before," the MCs said.

"He came before? Oh seriously?" Bomi looked straight into the cameras in genuine surprise. 

"Huh Gak visited before."

With Huh Gak out of the options, Bomi had to think quickly again. Oh, then next there's… 

"…Chorong unnie." Bomi clapped her hands to the person at her left. 

Me… Me? The look on Chorong's face was just speechless under her sunglasses. She jokingly slapped Bomi's back as the MC kept talking. "What are you saying?"

 

 

And maybe these two were just sticking together a lot recently, even sitting together for the next part. 

In a series of individual contests for grilled barbecue, the members put their variety skills to the test. 

They were introduced to Saipan's traditional dance where they got to watch two demonstrators perform beautifully. 

Then it was their turn to try. Starting from our angry Bbom!

"She's very… power guy," the MC tried to say. "Powerful. Energiser."

And the members were already smiling and laughing from Bomi because, as good as it looked, there was that laughter that came out where it was embarrassing to watch their friend. 

Chorong couldn't stop covering her face from Bomi's dance but her eyes also couldn't tear away from the movement. Bomi could really make her laugh all the time with one look that it was hard to believe these sides all came from the same person. Everyone was real

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter