[dawn] three

those early nights

The next day, Mingyu doesn’t want to go to the drama class. He can’t stomach any actual drama. But he doesn’t have any choice, does he?

Ms. Han greeted the students, not aware of the tension in the room. The Virgil boy is not present, and Mingyu knows that he never will. The drama teacher didn’t take note of this, and just continued to discuss the introduction of the literary piece. The class ended, with her not even doing a quick roll call of the actors who will represent the characters. She didn’t even check if the preparation for the project is going smoothly.

Well, all of them are aware that it’s not doing fine.

Almost everybody is avoiding Wonwoo, which is bad because the dark-haired boy is the protagonist. No one initiated to change the main role because first of all, they are not serious about the play, and second, they are too lethargic to actually exert effort. Mingyu is worried, no joke, because he absolutely doesn’t want to fail, twice.

He trudges out of the room with a heavy heart, thinking of what he can do so he can avoid the shame of not completing the school year. Unfortunately, the solutions he can think of point out to Wonwoo.

 

 

 

 

It is expected that Mingyu whines to his friends, who, as usual, do not pay attention to his antics.

“That’s sad, Mingyu.” Seungkwan said sarcastically.

Mingyu immediately glares at Seungkwan like it is a reflex action, while the latter just rolled his eyes.

Seungkwan is a soft chubby boy who has the sharpest tongue that can cut you like a knife. He’s the gossip source of the students because he knows a lot, wait no—he knows too much. Also, due to his loud, booming voice, he is always requested to be the emcee of several school programs. Seungkwan is not only at shouting commentary during play-offs, but he can sing damn well. He hits those high notes like it’s the most natural thing to do.

Seungkwan and Mingyu has been friends since the diaper ages. Both of them have no idea how they endured the presence of one another, because they are at each other’s throats every time.

Mingyu clicked his tongue. “Seungkwan, Wonwoo is in my class.”

“Afraid that he might hit on you, oh-so-handsome friend?” Seungkwan sassed Mingyu.

“Seungkwan, you’re not helping.”

“Oh Mingyu, just so you know, my intention is never to help you, but to piss you off and your sorry .” The chubby boy replied with a roll of eyes.

Before Mingyu can protest and actually hit Seungkwan, the latter stormed out of his seat and shouted a quick farewell.

“See you later, losers! And Mingyu, don’t assume too much because you’re not that attractive.”

The tall boy fumes, and tries to kick Seungkwan on the shin but just ended up hitting the air. To be honest, he looks dumb, but he always does so what’s new.

Mingyu calms down and finally notices Seungcheol. He is confused why Seungcheol didn’t even flinch at his and Seungkwan’s daily diss routine, given that the older always hags them to stop, like a parent.

“Hyung, why are you so quiet?” Mingyu asks, and Seungcheol seems to snap back to reality.

“Nothing, Mingyu. I’m just tired, I guess.”

To Mingyu’s perspective, it is definitely not nothing. But he just shrugs and decides to brush off his friend’s strange behavior, because he already has too much on his plate. He can definitely not handle worrying about another problem.

 

 

 

 

Mingyu thought that today will be like any other day in the week. In fact, he's too excited to go home, bury himself in the blankets and wallow in self-pity. He didn't expect to see Wonwoo in front of the locker room. Most importantly, he didn't expect Wonwoo to ask if he can talk to him.

"Uhm, hello Mingyu. This may be a bit sudden, but can I talk to you?" The dark-haired boy asks softly.

Mingyu hesitates, because he thinks that the entire situation is just weird. Why would Wonwoo talk to him? He began to panic.

Wonwoo senses Mingyu's anxiety. He fidgets with his sweater, pulling it for a bit, forming sweater paws. "Don't worry, I just want to... talk."

Mingyu helplessly nods, just hoping that this will finish already.

"What do you want?" Mingyu didn't mean to be harsh, but judging from how Wonwoo winced, he can tell that he sounded rude.

"Actually, I want to ask you a favor." Wonwoo says slowly, as if hesitant to voice out his thoughts.

"What?"

"Can you act as Virgil? In the play?"

Mingyu is sure that his brows are intensely scrunched right now. He can't quite understand what's going on.

"I mean, can you act as Virgil in the play? The supposed to be actor backed out so-"

Mingyu stopped Wonwoo's ramble. "But why me?"

The latter seems taken aback of the question. He thinks a little before answering, "Well, because you don't look too bothered about... me and my uality, unlike others."

Mingyu laughed shakily, he can't believe that he's hearing this from Wonwoo.

"I'm bothered about you, Wonwoo. Actually, I am afraid that you will hit on me. So, when you approached me out of nowhere, I panicked because I thought that you're about to flirt with me and infect me with your gayness or something. You can't tell me that I'm unbothered, because-"

"Okay, stop." Wonwoo cuts Mingyu’s ramble, lifting his trembling hands. "You don't have to say those words. I am just asking if you're okay with being Virgil in the play. It's not about me. It's about the play."

Mingyu immediately felt guilty. He tries to say something to make up with his mistake but he wasn't able to upon hearing Wonwoo's trembling voice.

"Just- just approach me if you change your mind." The dark-haired boy gulps, trying to compose himself. Then he bids goodbye to Mingyu with a sad smile painted on his face.

The tanned boy just watched Wonwoo's back as the latter hurriedly walks away from the lockers. When the boy is far away to be seen, Mingyu can't help but wonder... what just happened?