[dawn] one

those early nights

The extreme anti-gay days in the school calmed down a bit after a long while. This helped Wonwoo to breathe a little. However, no one would forget how he differ from the rest of the populace. He was still discarded, and avoided (and made fun of) like he’s a walking plaque that tries to infect them with homouality. This left Wonwoo with no friends or even a company, and he started to accept that his whole high school life will be spent alone.

Well, he’s wrong.

Jeonghan came, a sweet guy who moved from Seoul to Anyang and transferred to the school during the second year. He immediately became the talk of the whole school, people praising and intrigued by his angelic features, his long hair, and stuff related to that. The attention of the people shifted from Wonwoo to the transferee, and to be honest, the former was relieved that he can have a little break from the judging eyes of the public. Not until Jeonghan found out that Wonwoo is being bullied for his uality, and it doesn’t sit right with Jeonghan. The school angel decided to befriend Wonwoo. Of course, the dark-haired boy refused, not wanting others to be treated like how they treated him, particularly not wanting Jeonghan to lose his reputation as being one of the popular guys in their school. But Jeonghan was persistent, he never takes a no as an answer. To Wonwoo’s surprise, the transferee opened up that he’s gay just like the boy (and maybe he’s even gayer.)

“I don’t want you to carry your problems alone. I also know that you are aware that being gay or homo or whatever doesn’t degrade your existence, Wonwoo. It is not your fault being the odd one out and being someone they didn’t expect you to be.”

Wonwoo gave in, discreetly grateful that Jeonghan was by his side, supporting him at all times. He wonders what he did in his past life for him to deserve this kind of friend.

The guilt soon reached Wonwoo though, when the next morning came and the main topic of the gossips is about Jeonghan being a homo. Jeonghan assured Wonwoo that he is not affected, and believes that the people around them are just being es by being too fussed about the situation. He also said that he’s not afraid, because he knows that he’s much smarter—or wittier—and stronger than those fakes (as he likes to call them.) True to his words, no one laid a finger on Jeonghan, and also, they don’t approach Wonwoo anymore, because they’re scared that the new student is actually a spawn of a devil.

After some time, the two of them formed a small group of three by adding Hansol. The new kid is Korean-American, and a Caucasian actually, who faced racial discrimination. The difference in race is totally evident in his accent and physical appearance. This made Wonwoo and Jeonghan mad, because Hansol is definitely handsome and just simply amazing (he has a unique perspective in life and a burning passion—and talent—for music) thus he doesn’t deserve the poor treatment. Being the soft-hearted people they are, Wonwoo and Jeonghan became friends with Hansol, well, more like brothers, and the three promised to each other that they are going to live a wonderful life against all the prejudice.

It is undeniable that Jeonghan and Hansol gave Wonwoo a reason to survive every day. He can endure those knowing looks from his schoolmates’ faces, and he’s not really complaining anymore because the present is peaceful compared to the previous years. Also, the most important thing is he’s not alone.

Wonwoo gives a small smile to Jeonghan and Hansol, as they tread towards the library. It’s his small action of showing gratitude, an act received by the two frequently. And happily, his smile was returned.

 

...

 

“You’re planning on taking literature next year, right?” Jeonghan asks Wonwoo, as they sat down on their usual place in the library. It is early morning and during these hours the library is almost deserted, which works for them.

“Of course, I’m never going to part ways with literature. And honestly, I think I’m already married to it for my whole life.” Wonwoo answered, taking out his textbooks and reference novels from his bag.

Hansol snorts. “Yeah, especially when you inhaled Nicholas Sparks’ works in one day.”

“In my defense, his books are great enough to keep me reading.” The dark-haired boy whines and pouts.

“Maybe enough to ditch us.” Jeonghan added with a playful tone, and broke into a grin along with Hansol. Wonwoo fakes a groan.

“Anyway,” Wonwoo said, changing the subject, “I’ll start going to the drama elective class tomorrow. I need it for some experience and requirements before I go to college, so I might be late.”

Hansol nodded. “Then I can just wait for you.”

Wonwoo rolled his eyes. “’Sol, you have, like, five exams tomorrow in the morning and afternoon, then a pre-recording with Jihoon.”

Jihoon, a cute small bean who is more dangerous than the grim reaper, is a friend of Jeonghan from Seoul who is currently working as a producer. Jeonghan recommended Hansol to Jihoon and he took a liking to the Caucasian’s unique style of rapping using a voice that is perfect for the song he’s working on.

Hansol is excited, of course, because he is one step closer to his dream. But he can’t help being worried about Wonwoo. He’s overprotective of his friend, who he treats like his own brother. After knowing what Wonwoo went through his early high school days, he doesn’t want his friend to go through that again. His intentions are strong and sincere, since he saw with his own eyes how bad it is when Wonwoo breaks down because of those s, and since he experienced the bullying himself just due to a different reason.

Hansol doesn’t really get what’s wrong about being different.

“But Jihoon-hyung will arrive at 8 so I can still—”

“Hansol, you need to focus on yourself first, understand? Don’t worry, I’m a grown-up person, I can walk by myself.” Wonwoo said, not letting the Caucasian boy to finish talking.

Jeonghan agreed. “I think Wonwoo’s right. Just call us when something’s wrong, okay?” He smiled at Wonwoo, and the latter looked at him appreciatively.

“Thanks, hyung.”

Jeonghan cannot accompany Wonwoo because one, he has his own elective classes which are Physics and Biochemistry, and second, he has a part time job at a local coffee shop. He’s a totally busy person, but he still manages to give time for his two babies (he said that Wonwoo and Hansol are his children and he needs to protect them.) Wonwoo and Hansol are, of course, beyond grateful for him.

Hansol sighs, knowing that there’s no point in arguing. “Fine, you win. But you have to contact us immediately when you are home, okay?”

“Yes.”

“And be careful with those jerks out there.”

Wonwoo chuckles lightly. “Yes, dad. Sometimes I really wonder who’s older between us.”

Hansol huffs. “Well, hyung, you’re thin and sickly. You make us worry.”

“I’m not that thin!” The fox-eyed boy protested.

“Whatever.”

The three silently laughed with each other, before turning to their books and tried to study to keep up with the reality.

--- 

Another introductory(?) chapter! Mingyu and his friends will appear on the next one. Thank you!