umbrella (hyunvi)

a drabble for every ship

Vivi reached out, a sigh escaping her lips when the rain turned out to be heavier than she thought. Judging by the gloomy clouds, it seemed like the rain wouldn’t let up for a while and she was left with the decision to either stay and wait, or to risk it and run out into the cold. Vivi thought it over before deciding that she’d run for it, the next bus was going to arrive in 15 minutes and she didn’t want to stay for the next one. 

 

She placed her books in her bag, and made sure the bag was shut properly, she couldn't afford to get her notes ruined. Vivi counted down and when she reached zero she moved to greet the rain, but the feeling of something on her head stopped her and Vivi watched as a figure ran out into the rain. 

 

Vivi quickly realised that the stranger had given her their umbrella and Vivi was left confused, she didn’t see their face so she wasn’t sure who it was. she was left confused but she noticed in the distance that the bus was nearing her stop and she ran out into the rain with the umbrella in her hand. 

++

Hyunjin waved Heejin off, a small smile on her face as she watched her best friend holding hands with her girlfriend. “So how am I going to get home in this rain?” she asked herself and Hyunjin just watched as the rain fell and made contact with the ground. She shivered, the cold finally getting to her, maybe she should’ve checked the forecast for today. 

 

“Take this,” a soft voice took Hyunjin out of her thoughts and she turned, only to be met with a beautiful senior. “Vivi sunbae,” Hyunjin bowed and her eyes caught sight of the yellow umbrella in her hand. She smiled to herself knowing that Vivi still used the umbrella she gave her that day. 

 

“Hyunjin, right?” Vivi asked, sending the girl a faint smile on her lips. If it was anyone else Vivi would’ve just went on her way, but she recognised the pretty girl to be a friend of Haseul’s and decided to offer some help. “That’s me,” Hyunjin’s lips curved into a smile and she tried to ignore the beating of her heart due to the older girl knowing who she was. 

 

“You need to cover up,” Vivi stated and she handed Hyunjin her cardigan, but the girl didn’t take it and she was left confused. “Do you have a jacket already?” she asked, but she was left even more confused when Hyunjin shook her head. “It’s not big enough for me,” Hyunjin replied and Vivi held an expression of understanding, she offered without thinking about the sizing.

 

 Vivi glanced at the rain and it still hand’t let up, she thought for a moment before looking down at the umbrella in her hand, it was big enough that the both of them would fit. “How about we share this umbrella?” Vivi asked and Hyunjin nodded almost immediately. Realising her reaction, her cheeks turned a shade darker and she sent Vivi a smile. 

 

“Let’s go,” Vivi opened the umbrella and raised it so that the both of them were covered, but due to Hyunjin’s height, she struggled just a little. Noticing this the taller girl reached out and grabbed the umbrella, “I can hold it.” Vivi sent Hyunjin a thankful smile and the both of them walked into the rain, making conversation as they headed to the bus stop.