Chapter 8

Facing the World & Other Strange Tales of Agoraphobia

Hongdae was crowded like always. The streets were bustling with people of all ages. Every few feet there were different street performers, but unsurprisingly, the biggest crowd was none other than Kim Seokjin.

By the time Yeon, Haekyung, and Hoseok had reached the spot where Seokjin was supposed to perform there was already a large crowd that made it impossible to see anything. There was no way Haekyung was going to allow Yeon to be stuck on the outskirts. She forced Yeon to duck as she dragged her through the crowd, pushing and shoving until they reached the very front. A few girls were seated on the ground, and Haekyung immediately sat down as well. Yeon carefully took her seat next to Haekyung. It only took a few seconds for Seokjin to notice the two.

Yeon wasn't sure what song Seokjin was singing, because the whole world went silent as Seokjin smiled softly and waved quickly at the two. Haekyung looked over at Yeon as she dreamily stared at Seokjin, and started to laugh.

God was unfair. Not only was Seokjin perfectly crafted, he could sing too. Time went by too quickly as Seokjin went from song after song. He was so natural in front of people. All the girls were holding up their phones filming, and Seokjin made sure to give every which direction special attention.

"Thank you everyone for all the support! For my last song, I have a special guest. A very good hoobae of mine. Please give a hand to Lee Mihyang."

Lee Mihyang. Everyone knew who Lee Mihyang was. She was probably the most gorgeous girl at school. She was basically the female Kim Seokjin. Though she was only a second year, she was still the most popular girl at school. She was smart, beautiful, and she was one of the main soloists of the school choir.

Seokjin held out his hand as he led Mihyang into the middle of the circle. He bowed as he grandly handed a microphone to Mihyang. It was the first time Yeon saw Mihyang without her uniform, and she was envious how she looked even more beautiful. There was a certain element of elegance in the way Mihyang laughed while brushing her long black hair out of her face. Seokjin and Mihyang looked like a celebrity couple that just popped out of a fashion magazine. They just looked good together.

All these different thoughts, and Yeon just couldn't pay attention to the song. The only thing that went through her mind was that they looked perfect together, and this was how things should be. It dawned on her that it wasn't jealousy or envy rather realization that this is how the puzzle pieces fit.

It was Haekyung that pulled Yeon out of her thoughts.

"Earth to Kim Yeon!"

Yeon looked up and quickly grabbed Haekyung's outreached hand. Before Yeon could even ask, Haekyung was leading her towards Seokjin who was already surrounded by a crowd of girls. Hoseok kept jumping up and down calling for Seokjin, but there were just too many people.

"Hoseok ah!"

"Mihyang noona!

"Seokjin sunbae said we should go and pick a restaurant. He said it takes him a bit to get away from the crowd."

Hoseok nodded.

"Hello sunbae."

Both Yeon and Haekyung bowed.

"Noona, this is my friend Kim Yeon and Jin Haekyung."

"Hi, I'm Lee Mihyang."

Haekyung smiled brightly and looked at Mihyang fondly.

"Oh we know sunbae! How could we not know! You're famous!"

Mihyang laughed brightly as she shook her head.

"Not at all. Don't flatter me. Anyway, should we go get a seat somewhere? It seems anywhere around here is going to have a wait anyway."

"Noona, let's go eat ddukbokki."

"Well I guess that settles what we're going to eat."

Hoseok immediately grabbed onto Mihyang like a younger brother as he began dragging her along. Yeon and Haekyung followed behind.

The restaurant was only a few minutes away, and like Mihyang had said they had to wait. So by the time Seokjin arrived they had just sat down and ordered. Seokjin plopped down next to Mihyang, which the others had purposely left empty.

"Yeonnie, what did you think?"

Seokjin quickly split the wooden chopsticks in front of him and plopped a pickled radish in his mouth.

Slightly surprised that Seokjin started the conversation by asking her a question, Yeon looked to Haekyung before turning back towards Seokjin and Mihyang.

"Oh...both of you sounded amazing."

"Right? I didn't think Mihyang would agree, but surprisingly she was super cool about it. I thought we sounded pretty good, right?"

Seokjin turned to Mihyang and smiled brightly.

"I hope so. I was so nervous, but it was actually a lot of fun, sunbae."

Seokjin gently grabbed Mihyang's cheek as if fawning over a young child.


"Aw you did awesome little Mihyang."

Just then the waitress slid their food onto the table. Everyone began to eat as they talked about this and that. Yeon on the other hand just ate very quietly.  Ate really well actually. She loved ddukbokki, so she didn't mind not talking and just eating.

Throughout the two hours, Yeon barely got any words out. She mostly answered questions aimed at her and once in a while chimed in on the conversation. The nervousness of both Seokjin and Mihyang being in front of her tired out Yeon and she was actually glad when it all came to an end.

"Sunbae, how are you getting home?"

Mihyang asked while the five stood outside the restaurant figuring out their routes back home.

"I actually left the amp and some stuff in a locker. I think I'll have to take a cab."

"Oh, do you need help?"

Yeon, Hoseok, and Haekyung assumed this was their cue to get lost.

"Yeah. Yeonnie is going to help me. We live right next to one another. Right, Yeonnie?"

Surprised, Yeon looked to Seokjin with doe eyes.

"Huh..."

Haekyung quickly chimed in.

"Of course she can, sunbae!"

So the five headed towards the subway station. While Hoseok, Haekyung, and Mihyang decided to take the subway, Seokjin and Yeon ended up grabbing the gear and heading back to the streets to hail a cab. It was still fairly early so there were plenty of cabs waiting by the subway exit.

As soon as the cab's meter began running Seokjin leaned comfortably back and rested his head on Yeon's shoulder. The unexpected contact stiffened Yeon's body as she tensed up. He must have felt it, because a smile overcame his face even though his eyes were closed.

"Thanks for coming Yeonnie."