Chapter 22

Facing the World & Other Strange Tales of Agoraphobia

Six beers wasn’t even close to enough. The beers ran out before the pizza was even half gone, which resulted in raiding Yeon’s fridge for more beers. Once those beers were gone, they moved onto soju that came from Kim Taehyung’s house. Twelve beers and five bottles of soju later, everyone was quite drunk. Yeon had barely had four beers, but she felt she was the most wasted.

 

The night was a treat for both Yeon and Kim Taehyung.

 

The four talked about life, their careers, and every day problems that differed so vastly from each other.

 

Kim Taehyung the super celebrity that was basically living a real life art exhibition where he had to be the persona of Kim Taehyung the country had made him into. Outside of his house and his car he felt the world was always watching and always judging. He knew he was blessed and the position he was in wouldn’t last forever. He was grateful, but that didn’t mean sometimes he just wanted to breathe. It had been so long since he had met new people like normal 20 something year olds. Yeon was the first in a long time and he had forgotten how exhilarating human interaction was without expectations and judgement.

 

Haekyung was the one with the most normal life. She was a business development manager for a major beverage company. Most of her work was dealing with people in high positions to convince them how great her drinks were. It was always about building new opportunities for her brand. It meant her normal personality had to be put in the back seat and she had to play nice. It wasn’t too different from Kim Taehyung’s in that sense. Haekyung was one of those people that balanced her work and personal life like it was the easiest thing in the world. That’s why it was that much more confusing that she couldn’t make her relationship with her on again off again boyfriend, Namjoon, work. It was probably the most stressful aspect about Haekyung’s life.

 

Out of the four Park Jimin probably had it best. He was a choreographer. One of the best in the country. He was lucky in that he got his foot into the industry without much hardship. Not only was he a famous dancer from a young age, he was the cousin of Kim Taehyung. Park Jimin had the luxury of choreographing routines for the hottest K-pop groups in Korea. Park Jimin was one of those people that loved his job. He loved being in the studio and dancing. It wasn’t about the money that came with the job, but the fact that he could dance for hours and try new things with endless support. He wasn’t stuck behind some desk, and he set his own schedule. He was like a free roaming dancing spirit that was writing the definition of how to enjoy one’s life.

 

Then there was Yeon. What more was there to say about Yeon. One day she had become a hermit. She didn’t leave her house, didn’t meet new people, and gained some weight. At least she had a LOT of money. But sometimes there were things that money couldn’t fix. Like the fact that her life was flipped upside down in just a few days. Kim Taehyung and Park Jimin were the first new people in her life in years. And in three months she would either have to overcome her agoraphobia or let Seokjin know she wasn’t going to see him. It was a lot for Yeon to deal with.

 

So the four totally different people ate pizza and drank alcohol and got drunk.

 

Somehow Haekyung was sprawled on the couch sleeping with her head in Park Jimin’s lap, who had also fallen asleep. It wasn’t that surprising seeing that the two had the most to drink and it was almost four in the morning.

 

Yeon was definitely drunk, but not tired. For some reason Kim Taehyung kept taking shots of soju but he seemed completely sober.

 

“Why, do you look like that…and why do I look like this?”

 

Kim Taehyung laughed as Yeon slurred her words. His hand cupped Yeon’s face.

 

“What’s wrong with the way you look, noona?”

 

Yeon looked like her world fell apart. She pouted while trying to shake her head no, despite the fact that Kim Taehyung was still holding her face.

 

“I know I’m not ‘fat’ but I’m plump! Seokjin sunbae, well he’s not plump! He’s handsome! So handsome! Probably more handsome than you!”

 

A look of disbelief came over Kim Taehyung’s face as he scoffed.

 

“No way. There aren’t that many people handsomer than me. Especially non celebrities!”

 

There was something special about Kim Taehyung in that what he said could definitely be considered conceited and off putting, but somehow you couldn’t hate him for it. Maybe it was his innocence or his charm. Either way, comments like these were always suprrisngly well received.

 

“No, no, no! I’m pretty sure Seokjin sunbae is much better looking than you.”

 

“So noona, is this Seokjin sunbae your boyfriend?”

 

Yeon blushed and covered her face as she leaned back into the couch. She laughed loudly before answering.

 

“Oh no, no, no! He’s my first crush! And I hate him!”

 

Uncovering her face Yeon suddenly started to sulk.

 

“But I still got butterflies when I heard his voice.”

 

Being drunk meant that Yeon’s emotions were a hundred times stronger and a lot more honest. Thinking about her mix of emotions made her suddenly realize that the happiness that Seokjin brought also flooded her with pain as well. She felt her eyes starting to well up with tears. Without another word, Yeon pushed herself off the couch slightly swaying left and right.

 

“Are you going to the closet?”

 

Yeon looked to see that Kim Taehyung was staring up at her from the couch with a blank look on his face.

 

She nodded.

 

“Why?”

 

Any other time Yeon wouldn’t have answered.

 

But today she was drunk.

 

“I can hide from the world…and no one has to see me cry.”

 

Before Yeon could turn around, Kim Taehyung had stood up and pulled her into his arms. She struggled for a few seconds but he was much stronger than her and the comfort of his warm hug was something that didn’t feel too horrible.

 

“What are we going to do with you?”

 

A hopeless smile came over Kim Taehyung’s face.

 

She had locked herself in her house to protect herself, but even that wasn’t enough. Something about Yeon pulled Kim Taehyung in. He always thought he was the most messed up person in the world. Someone that didn’t know what part of him was real and what part of him was fake. If he was smiling because he wanted or because he had to. It was one of the reasons he was so “weird” as people put it.

 

But the time Kim Taehyung watched, waited, and listened to Yeon cry in the closet was the first time he stopped thinking about his life and worried about someone else’s. He found himself wondering what kind of person she was and what her life story was. People would say how innocent and weird Kim Taehyung was, but for the first time he met someone just as weird and innocent as him if not more. He wondered if that’s what the attraction was.

 

Whatever it was, Kim Taehyung was unwilling to let go as he held Yeon in his arms.

 

But Yeon had something else in mind.

 

Suddenly her legs gave as she suddenly fell to the ground. Kim Taehyung rushed to Yeon’s side in shock only to realize her eyes were closed. Kim Taehyung laughed and picked up Yeon from the ground. He laid her on the couch and covered her up with a throw blanket that was draped over the edge of the couch.

 

Kim Yeon had fallen asleep in the middle of an embrace with the ever famous Kim Taehyung.