Chapter 19

Facing the World & Other Strange Tales of Agoraphobia

Even though Yeon had protested, Kim Taehyung and Jungkook insisted they do the dishes. Only Yeon felt burdened by it all, but there was no way she was going to win an argument against the two. Yeon watched from the nook, sipping a cup of tea, as the two similar but totally different strangers tried to make a cooperative task like dishes go as smoothly as possible. Surprisingly it didn’t take too long.

 

Jungkook prepared his own tea and walked back to the nook and took a seat across from Yeon.

 

“I guess this is my cue to get out of the way?”

 

Kim Taehyung leaned against the fridge as he looked at the two with his eyebrows raised.

 

“Yes, thank you.”

 

Yeon lightly kicked Jungkook under the table, but he only smiled.

 

“Well then, I’m not that dense. Ms. Yeonnie, thank you for dinner. It was delicious. Lets make this a regular thing.”

 

Jungkook was quick to reply.

 

“Let’s not.”

 

With an over exaggerated bow, Kim Taehyung walked away and quietly slipped across the hanging blanket. Both were surprised he left so willingly. It wasn’t until the silence was deafening that Jungkook finally said something.

 

“Are you really not going to call Hoseok hyung?”

 

Yeon smiled and shrugged her shoulders.

 

“You hate strangers. Are you really okay with Kim Taehyung coming and going as he pleases?”

 

The sound of disbelief was absolutely audible in Jungkook’s tone. He looked worried more than anything. But it was true that Yeon was surprisingly accepting of Kim Taehyung despite their recent meeting.

 

“It’s not like that, Jungkook. He’s harmless, and he really doesn’t just come and go as he pleases. Today was the first time.”

 

It wasn’t an acceptable answer for Jungkook.

 

“I really think you should call up Hoseok hyung…. Or I can stay.”

 

There was no eye contact between the two. Jungkook casually took a sip of his tea, his eyes looking into his cup rather than Yeon. It was a nervousness that Yeon didn’t notice.

 

“I lock my door at night. It’s fine. But thank you for worrying, Jungkook.”

 

“It’s baffles me that it took me forever to befriend you, but here’s Kim Taehyung having dinner with you less than a month since he moved in next door.”

 

Confusion plastered across Yeon’s face. Her face tilted left and right as she stared at Jungkook’s furrowed eyebrows. There was absolutely no way this could be jealousy. It was Jungkook, and Yeon… Yeon was Yeon. It was impossible. He was just worried. At least that’s what Yeon told herself.

 

“Why are you looking at me like that?”

 

The tone in Jungkook’s voice immediately softened as he gently smiled in Yeon’s direction.

 

“It’s just… I don’t know. Everything in my life is so weird these days and I guess it’s all just confusing me.”

 

It wasn’t an answer Jungkook was expecting. Yeon’s life was far from weird. She was one of those girls that just wasn't that complicated. Everything about Yeon was so honest and uncalculating. It had a lot to do with the fact that she was a hermit and had a very specific group of friends, but that’s what Jungkook liked about Yeon. She was one of the few people in the world that liked Jungkook as he was.

 

“Weird, how?”

 

A long silence overtook the two before Yeon finally answered.

 

“I used to like this sunbae in high school…”

 

Jungkook wasn’t the type to pry, and Yeon knew this. He didn’t ask to hear more, but instead remained silent and waited for Yeon to continue or change the topic. Whichever direction she chose to go Jungkook would listen.

 

“Anyway it just ended with me having a crush on him. I haven’t seen him in years but he recently got in contact and wants to meet up…”

 

Once again, silence. It was Yeon’s long sigh that finally allowed Jungkook to reply.

 

“Do you want to meet him?”

 

Yeon smiled sadly as she held her mug in both hands and stared out the window that looked out into the sparkling city of Seoul. It was beautiful, but also the scariest place in the world. At least for Yeon it was.

 

“I don’t know…”

 

“But it’s not a complete no either…”

 

Yeon looked up to see Jungkook questioning her with his deep brown eyes. She couldn’t read his expression, and for some reason this annoyed her. It was as if a stranger was sitting in front of her.

 

“It would be a lie if I said I didn’t want to see him but… It’s been so long.”

 

A saddened smile overcame Yeon, and Jungkook couldn’t take his eyes off of her. He hated that he could see her crestfallen emotions laid out right before him. Everything about Yeon was as if she wore it on her sleeves. She couldn’t lie even if her life depended on it.

 

Pushing himself from his seat, Jungkook walked over to the edge of Yeon’s side and kneeled down on the floor. His hands gently turned Yeon to face him. He cupped Yeon’s hands and they disappeared into his perfectly. Instantly Yeon stiffened up but she looked calm as ever.

 

“Not everything has to be so hard. Whatever you decide, that’ll be the right choice. And no matter what it is, you don’t have to do it alone.”

 

Yeon could feel the tears welling up in her eyes. It was as if Jungkook understood exactly how she felt. The world slowed down as Yeon bent forward and hugged Jungkook. Her awkward embrace immediately was covered up by Jungkook’s arms pulling her in closer. His hand gently patted her back and nothing more needed to be said.

 

Jungkook was right. Whatever Yeon would decide, that would be the right choice.