Chapter 26

Facing the World & Other Strange Tales of Agoraphobia

Just as Haekyung walked through the hanging blanket, her eyes started to dart around the room. Park Jimin’s face suddenly appeared out of nowhere and rested on her left shoulder. Haekyung quickly shoved him away and headed for the couch. She didn’t have to say anything for Hoseok to realize who she was looking for.

 

“Namjoon’s just in the bathroom.”

 

“I didn’t say anything.”

 

Haekyung tried to act nonchalant but failed miserably.

 

“Uh huh. Yeah, right.”

 

Hoseok chuckled to himself.

 

“Hey guys I’m going to head out. I’ve got class tomorrow and still have a paper to finish.”

 

Namjoon came strolling out and began to head straight for the door.

 

“Hyung!”

 

Everyone turned to Park Jimin who was leaning against the couch. Namjoon stopped at the doorway.

 

“Hm?”

 

“Will you take Haekyung home. I think she’s still a little hungover and she was just about to leave too.”

 

Yeon nervously looked from Haekyung to Namjoon to Park Jimin and then back to Haekyung. She couldn’t read Haekyung, because she didn’t object and didn’t even react. It was as if Park Jimin was telling the truth. But Yeon knew Haekyung wasn’t hungover. She had seen Haekyung hungover hundreds of times and this wasn’t one of those times.

 

“Sure. Let’s go. I drove, so I can drop you off.”

 

“I can just take a cab.”

 

Hoseok could been seen rolling his eyes. Both Hoseok and Yeon knew that despite Haekyung saying so, Namjoon was going to take her home anyway.

 

“Come on, I’ll just take you.”

 

Quietly, Haekyung got up from the couch and stopped in front of Yeon. They hugged like they were being separated forever.

 

“I must be going crazy.”

 

Haekyung whispered in Yeon’s ears.

 

“Yeah… I think so.”

 

Haekyung chuckled at Yeon’s reply and waved as she grabbed her purse and headed towards the door. As she bent over to put on her shoes, she suddenly stopped and ran back towards the couch. She flicked Hoseok on the forehead and stuck out her tongue. Just as quickly, she ran back to the door and grabbed her shoes with one hand and Namjoon’s hand in the other as she dashed out.

 

“God, she’s so immature.”

 

Hoseok lamented while rubbing his forehead. Park Jimin smiled and took a seat next to Hoseok and leaned back into Hoseok’s shoulder. Maybe it was just in Park Jimin’s nature to always be touching someone.

 

“Kim Yeon, let’s watch a movie!”

 

Like it was his own home, Hoseok the TV and immediately flipped over to Netflix. The two decided on a romantic comedy. It was odd, but strangely worked for the two. Yeon smiled to herself and curled up onto the couch. Before the move even started she could feel her lids getting heavy. Food comas were real. Even though she had woken up just a few hours ago Yeon fell into a deep sleep.

 

When she finally opened her eyes she was covered with a blanket and the house was completely dark. Yeon rubbed her eyes as she went and the lights. She didn’t even hear Hoseok or Park Jimin leave. Yeon looked over at the wall clock and saw that it was already 7:30 at night. For a second she wondered if she should actually get some work done. The project still had two more weeks until deadline, but she had been slacking off the last few weeks. Yeon plopped back down on the couch. It was Sunday. It could wait till tomorrow.

 

The silence of her house was comforting. Yeon happily plopped herself on the floor as she the TV and childishly rolled around the floor like a puppy. She flipped through the Netflix menu until she landed on a rom com. Yeon was sure she had watched almost everything on Netflix, but she was one of those people that loved to watch her favorite shows and movies over and over again. The movie had started, and Yeon decided she couldn’t watch a movie without popcorn.

 

Once the popcorn was done, Yeon ran back to the living room as she plopped herself on the couch. She knew every part of the movie, but she still laughed and still felt her hearth flutter here and there. Completely focused on the film, Yeon didn’t hear the curtain moving or even see Kim Taehyung enter.

 

“I want popcorn too.”

 

The sudden voice of Kim Taehyung caused Yeon to drop the bag of popcorn. In shock Yeon stared at Kim Taehyung whose cheeks were flushed and eyes a bit droppier than normal. Still in a state of shock, Yeon watched in silence as Kim Taehyung sat down on the floor leaning against the couch, and began eating popcorn off the floor.

 

 “Are you…drunk?”

 

Kim Taehyung smiled to himself and nodded as he continued to pick and eat the popcorn.

 

“It’s not even ten.”

 

“I had to woo a director.”

 

“Why?”

 

It was an honest question. Kim Taehyung was the most popular celebrity in Korea. If anything people should have been wooing him.

 

“There’s always younger, better looking, cheaper up and coming actors. I’ve got to remain on everyone’s good side as long as possible.”

 

There was something sad about Kim Taehyung’s answer. Yeon wondered what it was like living like that. As if his life was on a timer. Yeon didn’t bother to say anymore, and instead started picking up popcorn and putting it back in the bag. There wasn’t too much left seeing Kim Taehyung seemed to have stuff most of it in his mouth.

 

“Do you want me to make some more popcorn?”

 

Kim Taehyung nodded.

 

“I’ve never made popcorn at home. I love popcorn. Why didn’t I ever make it at home?”

 

Yeon wasn’t sure if it was a rhetorical question or a real question, so she remained silent. She headed towards the kitchen and popped some more popcorn and grabbed a tumbler to fill it with water. He would probably need more than a cup of water.

 

It had only been minutes since she had gone, but Kim Taehyung was fast asleep on the floor when she got back. Yeon sighed and wondered what to do. If she should wake him, let him sleep, or just wait until he woke up. Yeon pondered for a few minutes until she finally grabbed a pillow from the linen closet and placed it under Kim Taehyung’s head. She also grabbed the throw blanket and covered him up, although it was much too short for his long body.

 

With the movie still playing in the background, Yeon decided she would watch her movie and just wait.