Chapter 20

Facing the World & Other Strange Tales of Agoraphobia

Even though days had gone by, Yeon still had a hard time letting go what she was feeling. A sense of fluttering and nervousness she hadn’t felt for years. It was hard to concentrate and she would find herself turning back time to the moment she could feel Jungkook’s breathe against her neck. Even thinking about it turned Yeon’s face a burning red.

 

“Kim Yeon!”

 

Yeon’s eyes stared up to see Haekyung staring at her in confusion. Quickly sitting up on the couch, Yeon smiled sheepishly as Haekyung plopped down next to her. Aside from Yeon’s mom, Haekyung was the only person that had unlimited access to Yeon’s house. Her fingerprints were registered and she knew all the passwords.

 

“I was wondering why there was a blanket taped to the wall and lifted it up and, oh my God, is that a hole into Kim Taehyung’s living room?!”

 

The excitement in Haekyung’s eyes was undeniable.

 

“It’s a long story.”

 

“I don’t care! Tell me now!”

 

So Yeon did what she was told. She explained the situation once again and Haekyung seemed delighted. They were best friends so of course Yeon also had to inform Haekyung about what happened over dinner as well.

 

“No freaking way?! Oh my god, I need a beer! Hold on just a second!”

 

It was two o’clock on a Saturday so having an afternoon beer was fairly acceptable, but Haekyung was also the type to have a beer even if it was 8 in the morning. It was the only reason Yeon made sure her fridge always had an array of beers. God knew she wasn’t the drinking type.


“Ok. So what happened with Jungkook since then?”

 

“Well…nothing.”

 

It was true though. It was as if nothing had happened. They still messaged here and there, but it wasn’t as if suddenly the two’s relationship seemed sweeter or flirtier. Everything continued soundlessly.

 

“Oh…”

 

It wasn’t just Haekyung that was disappointed. Yeon also felt a tinge of disappointment as well. But the feelings of foolishness kept her from saying so out loud.

 

“Woah what’s this?”

 

Both Haekyung and Yeon rapidly turned around to see a rose gold haired guy peeking through the blanket wall. The surprise was so sudden neither had the time to even scream or react.

 

“And who are YOU?”

 

He walked over towards the couch, his eyes completely locked onto Haekyung.

 

“Actually, who are YOU? A bit rude to be barging into someone’s house, don’t you think?”
 

Haekyung was having none of it despite the baby faced smile he threw her way. Yeon scooted closer to Haekyung. The sense of protection she felt from Haekyung was enough to keep her nerves calm. That didn’t mean her heart wasn’t beating a bit faster than normal, which was probably the main reason behind Haekyung’s hostility.

 

“Oh, so this isn’t part of Taehyung’s house?”

 

The guy’s confidence was as ever present as Kim Taehyung’s. There wasn’t an ounce of hesitation as he strolled over and leaned on the edge of the couch. He still smiled, and the boyish charm leaking out of him was obviously targeted towards Haekyung.

 

“No! So get out!”

 

“Can I get your number if I promise to leave?”

 

Haekyung scoffed, but there was a faint trace of a smile on her face.

 

“Absolutely not. Now get out. You’re on private property.”

 

“How about just your name then?”

 

Haekyung downed the rest of her beer and put it down before getting up. Yeon tensed up as she grabbed Haekyung’s hand with both of hers. Though she was sure that Haekyung wasn’t going to physically go after the guy, Yeon felt better if she made sure Haekyung was kept at her side.

 

“Do I really have to call the police?”

 

The guy seemed to have no intention of getting up. He was still calm and playful. He looked around the house.

 

“Seeing there are no CCTVs, I guess I can just stay till they get here and then leave. It’ll be a he said she said. Should we really be wasting our tax dollars like this?”

 

Yeon didn’t even need to look to see that Haekyung was getting annoyed and angry.

 

“You’re a real piece of work aren’t you?”

 

The guy finally got up and laughed.

 

“Is it so wrong that I’m unwilling to let our paths end like this? I don’t think I could forgive myself if I let you disappear without at least getting your name.”

 

“It’s Jin Haekyung.”

 

Yeon quietly answered because she knew there was no way Haekyung was going to let this guy win.

 

“Why thank you. And you are?”

 

“Don’t you dare say a---“
 

But before Haekyung’s threat could register, Yeon answered on cue.

 

“Kim Yeon.”

 

“Well Miss Kim Yeon, do tell your exquisite friend Ms. Jin Haekyung that a Park Jimin moved in next door and he’s going to make it his life mission to see her again.”

 

With that Park Jimin bowed and left as quickly as he came. Haekyung remained flabbergasted and stared as the blanket flowed down and Park Jimin disappeared behind the makeshift wall.

 

“What just happened?”

 

Yeon pulled Haekyung back down onto the couch. She continued to stare blankly at the wall.

 

“I’m not sure.”

 

“I thought Kim Taehyung lived next door.”

 

“Me too.”

 

“So who was that?”
 

Yeon was absolutely unsure how to answer that question.

 

“Park Jimin.”

 

Which was the truth.

 

“And who is Park Jimin.”

 

Yeon shrugged.

 

“I don’t know.”

 

Both girls looked at one another with puzzled looks. Haekyung frustrated and Yeon nervous. She noticed that she was still holding onto Haekyung’s hand. The feeling of uneasiness wasn’t relenting, and Haekyung could feel in the pit of her stomach that there was about to be more uninvited excitement in her life. She did not like it one bit.