Chapter 11

Facing the World & Other Strange Tales of Agoraphobia

Everything about Kim Seokjin was an understatement. Like how handsome he was. How tall he was. How soothing his singing was. And how determined he was. Seokjin made attempts to talk to Yeon all the time. But Yeon grew up avoiding things. She was a pro. She knew how to hide from her problems. That was something Seokjin couldn't compete with. Yeon walked away, ran away, and hid anytime she saw Seokjin. But only because she knew the instant she faced him she would end up in tears. Tears that were embarrassing.

It took a solid week of Seokjin adamantly searching out Yeon until Hoseok finally had enough. Haekyung had told Hoseok everything, and for the first time both girls had seen him so angry he was ready to burst. Hoseok was ready to go confront Seokjin the moment he had heard, but Yeon's pleading and begging, nearly in tears, had stopped him in his tracks. Hoseok had promised he wouldn't say anything. Until he could no longer stand by and just watch.

"Yeon, I only promised I wouldn't punch that er, but that's all. This has gone on far enough. He obviously hasn't gotten the clue."

Both Haekyung and Hoseok came up to the rooftop every lunch to keep Yeon company. Though Yeon was used to being around Haekyung at lunch, Hoseok on the other hand always had activities and floated around from group to group because of all his different friends. He sometimes spent lunch with them, but it was neither every day nor was it expected of him. It wasn't until the whole Seokjin fiasco that Hoseok always sought out the two.

Hoseok immediately stood up as Haekyung and Yeon both looked up at him in horror.

"It's ok, Hoseok. I'm sure he'll let it go soon."

Yeon gently grabbed the end of Hoseok's pant leg as she looked up at him and smiled weakly.

"I don't think it's that bad of an idea. As long as Hoseok doesn't get into a fight."

Haekyung looked at Hoseok judgmentally.

"I promise I won't start anything. I'm just going to tell him to leave Yeon alone. I mean why the hell does she have to avoid him when he's the ?!"

The anger in Hoseok's voice was slowly starting to rise.

They all knew that at this point nothing was going to stop Hoseok. So all they could do was negotiate.

"Promise you won't get into a fight. Promise."

Yeon stood up and held out her pinky finger. Hoseok didn't promise. Instead he pulled Yeon into a tight hug and released her. He grabbed her hand as they locked pinkies.

"I promise on our friendship I will only talk to him."

Yeon nodded and Hoseok immediately turned around to go find Seokjin.

It wasn't until lunch had finished that Yeon and Haekyung saw Hoseok. He was five minutes late to class. He apologized quietly and took his seat. They were relieved that Hoseok didn't seem to have been in a fight. His face gave no signs of how anything went.

When class finally ended, Haekyung immediately ran over to Hoseok.

"So? What happened?"

Hoseok shrugged

"Nothing. I looked all over for him, but supposedly he didn't come to school today."

"What?"

"Don't know, don't care. There's always tomorrow."

Hoseok grabbed his bag as he walked over to Yeon, who was still sitting at her desk. This was a sign that it was time to go. As if he wanted to protect her, Hoseok had recently taken it upon himself to walk Yeon to the bus stop every day after school. The three would talk and linger until the bus arrived and it wasn't until Yeon took a seat that both Hoseok and Haekyung would turn to head home themselves.

A call from an unknown number appeared on Yeon's phone just as she arrived home and started to take her shoes off. She didn't usually take calls from unknown numbers, but for some reason she decided to answer this one.

"Hello?"

"Yeonnie it's me. Don't hang up."

It was Seokjin. There was a long silence between the two. Neither said anything. They were both barely even breathing. It was Seokjin that finally broke the silence.

"I don't know what's going on, but I need to know. If I did something wrong, I really need you to give me the chance to apologize or explain. It's making me crazy. There's so much on my plate right now, and I can't think straight. My life is a mess, and in my head I know a girl is the last thing I should be thinking about, but all I can think about is you. So give me five minutes, and if you're still not happy with me then I'll never contact you again."

The air of urgency and desperation in Seokjin's voice surprised Yeon. He was never the type to be either of those things, but right now it was all she could hear. In Yeon's mind she wanted to scream and cry and call him names, but all she could do was listen.

"Please, Yeonnie."

Yeon couldn't help but to sigh.

"Ok, sunbae."

And with that Seokjin said he would be in front of Yeon's house later that night at 8pm. Yeon was nervous, and even though both Haekyung and Hoseok thought it was a horrible idea, they supported her. So Yeon watched as time went excruciatingly slowly, and found herself outside at least 15 minutes early.

8 o'clock came.

And went.

9 o'clock came as well.

And went as well.

10 o'clock came, and it was the end.

This time the tears did come gushing out. Yeon couldn't stop crying and found herself on a bench until there were no more tears left. She walked back home like a zombie feeling stupid, heart broken, and defeated. A part of her wondered how she would react when she eventually did see Seokjin. Would she cry? Would she be angry? Would she smile like nothing happened? She wouldn't know until it actually happened.

But it never did.

That was the last time she ever heard from Seokjin. He didn't show up to school for a week, and suddenly he had moved and transferred. Not a word to anyone. He just up and disappeared. And with that, Yeon's first love left her aching, heart broken, and worst of all, traumatized.

Everyone said it would be alright, and she would get over it.

But everyone was wrong. So very wrong.