Chapter 21

Facing the World & Other Strange Tales of Agoraphobia

Both girls decided it would be best if Haekyung spent the night. The rest of the day was spent lounging on the couch, eating ice cream, and binge watching Netflix. They laughed, ate, cried, ate, slept, and ate. It was the perfect Saturday for the two best friends.

 

Just about the time the two were discussing dinner, Kim Taehyung poked his head through the wall holding out a large box of pizza and a six pack of beer like he head read their minds. He smiled sheepishly and teased the pizza in Yeon’s direction. Haekyung, whose head was resting in Yeon’s lap, immediately jumped up and smiled. It wasn’t the pizza or beer Haekyung was interested in. Obviously.

 

“I heard my cousin caused some trouble today. I came to apologize.”

 

“Me too.”

 

Park Jimin’s small head poked in from under Kim Taehyung’s arm. He winked in their direction.

 

“Double date?”

 

Kim Taehyung smiled and nodded towards Yeon.

 

“YES!”
 

Haekyung answered on behalf of Yeon.

 

“Since it was your place last time, this time we can mess up my side.”

 

Kim Taehyung pulled up the blanket and held it open revealing his side of the wall. He handed Park Jimin the pizza and beer, who obediently took it and walked away. Although both girls had gotten up, Haekyung was already by the wall, her eyes glued on Kim Taehyung. Yeon on the other hand was slower and much more careful. There were no signs of worry on Haekyung’s face, but she walked past Kim Taehyung to his side of the house, her eyes suddenly glued on Yeon. Unflinching, Kim Taehyung remained against the opened wall and held the blanket aside.

 

Yeon took very careful steps towards Kim Taehyung’s side. The first step that brought her into his house and what she feared would happen, happened. Her breathing got heavy, and she felt her head spin. Despite it being only one step, she could feel her body shutting down.

 

“Just one more step, and then we can turn around.”

 

Kim Taehyung’s soft voice whispered in her ear, as he held tightly onto her waist like he was afraid she was going to fall over any second. Yeon didn’t know why but she listened. She took one more step inside. Nothing about Kim Taehyung’s house registered in her head because of the shock that was taking over. Yeon felt her legs giving out, but the strong hand on her waist turned her around immediately and pulled her into the safety of her house.

 

"It's always the first steps that are the hardest."

 

Once again, Kim Taehyung's low voice whispered in her ears. Her breathing was heavy and she wasn’t even sure if it was her legs walking or Kim Taehyung carrying her to the couch. Haekyung appeared out of nowhere and before she could grab the inhaler on the coffee table, Kim Taehyung had picked it up and handed it to Yeon.

 

Just as Yeon’s breathing normalized, Park Jimin peeked into her side.

 

“I guess we’re eating here, now?”

 

Kim Taehyung nodded and Park Jimin seemed to accept without as much of a question.

 

“First two steps outside of your house, and it’s into Kim Taehyung’s house!”

 

Now that Yeon was normal, Haekyung was much more excited than worried. Embarrassed about the whole situation, Yeon looked down at her lap. It was then that she realized Kim Taehyung was still holding onto her waist. She gently pried his hand away as casually as possibe.

 

“Are you two cousins too?”

 

Kim Taehyung looked over to Haekyung before turning back to Yeon.

 

“Best friends. My name is Jin Haekyung.”

 

Haekyung wasn’t particularly interested in Kim Taehyung. She was just fascinated at the fact that her everyday life was mixing with that of a super celebrity. It was the concept that she was excited about rather than the actual person.

 

“It’s nice to meet you. I’m Ms. Yeonnie’s neighbor, Kim Taehyung.”

 

“I know!”

 

It was then that Park Jimin returned holding the beers and pizza. He placed them on the coffee table and took his seat right next to Haekyung. She stared at him angrily before scooting closer to Yeon.

 

“Ms. Yeonnie, you know I had to wait forty minutes for this pizza? It’s from the most popular pizza place in Seoul!”

 

Kim Taehyung bragged as he opened the lid of the pizza box. Unlike the usual Korean pizzas, this pizza looked like it was flown straight over from New York. Yeon was excited to try it as this pizza place didn’t deliver and her mom had yet to buy it from the long list of other restaurants. It was only Yeon that took the pizza first. The others started with beers. As Yeon ate, Kim Taehyung held out an unopened beer for her. Yeon hesitated before she took the beer. She didn’t drink much, but the pizza was delicious and a cool beer would make it even better.

 

“Well then cheers to new beginnings, right Haekyung?”

 

Park Jimin winked at Haekyung, who rolled her eyes. The four lightly tapped their beers. Yeon was right, the beer was ice cold and tasted great. It was one of those rare days where she felt her tolerance would hold up better than other days.

 

“Wait, how old are you that you’re talking to me so informally?!”

 

Haekyung turned to Park Jimin and demanded an answer.

 

“Does it matter? Whether you’re the same age, younger, or older I’m still going to talk to you like this.”

 

“I could be older than you! You would have to call me noona!”

 

“That’s IF you’re older than me, and even if you were I wouldn’t call you that.”

 

A sense of authority lined Park Jimin’s voice as he ate.

 

“So how old are you?”

 

Haekyung demanded an answer.

 

“1995.”

 

Jimin smiled wondering how the conversation would progress.

 

“You’re a year younger than us! You should definitely be addressing us as noona! Or at least like Mr. Kim Taehyung, where you’re at least polite about it.”

 

“Haekyung ah~”

 

Park Jimin playfully called out while leaning in towards Haekyung. Even more annoyed, Haekyung shoved him away and took a long drink of her beer.

 

“Is he crazy?”

 

Haekyung asked to Kim Taehyung.

 

“Probably. Now that I know your age, I can call you Yeonnie noona instead of Ms. Yeonnie!”

 

Kim Taehyung smiled and continued to eat his fourth piece of pizza. Yeon didn't reply, but from what little she did know of Kim Taehyung, he was going to do as he pleased anyway.

 

It was a light hearted dinner that normal 20 something year olds typically had. Meeting new people, having dinner together, talking, and enjoying the moment. For both Kim Taehyung and Yeon this was a concept that was unfamiliar. There were trust issues for both. But in this moment they knew that they could enjoy this little piece of happiness.