Chapter 7

Facing the World & Other Strange Tales of Agoraphobia

Yeon decided to give Seokjin a chance. Maybe he could help make her invisible again. To test the theory out, Yeon went to the bus stop at her regular time. Seokjin was already slumped over on the bench. He seemed busy looking at something on his phone, so he didn't notice Yeon until the bus had arrived.

"Hey, Yeonnie! When did you get here?"

Yeon bowed.

"Just now, sunbae."

"Well, perfect timing because there's the bus."

Seokjin got on the bus first and Yeon followed behind. Instead of taking a seat first, Seokjin stood in the aisle in front of their usual seat, and waited until Yeon slid in. Like always, he sat facing the aisle and leaned into Yeon's shoulder.

"I'll fix everything, I promise."

It didn't take too long for Yeon to understand what he meant. Just as the bus was pulling into the next stop, Seokjin tussled Yeon's hair as he got up and moved to the back of the bus. Yeon didn't look back. Instead she watched as the two girls that entered the bus looked in surprise and rushed over towards the back.

For the first time since school began, Yeon wasn't surrounded by people looking in her direction. The clamoring of the students on the bus echoed from behind. Once in a while she could hear Seokjin's hearty laugh. Everyone's eyes were faced towards the back, and there seemed to be a million different conversations going on.

With her earphones in, Yeon was relaxed as she looked out the window. So this was how Seokjin was going to fix things. She was grateful, but that didn't mean she didn't miss sitting next to him. Although if she had to choose, she would choose her invisibility over sitting next to Seokjin any day.

Once the bus arrived at school, people weren't pushing her to get to Seokjin anymore. Instead she was able to walk to school without any pressures. No one was staring at her, and for once people weren't talking. It was exactly the way she wanted her high school life to be.

As Yeon walked up the steps leading into school, she felt someone tussle her hair. She didn't have to look to know it was Seokjin. Without a single word he passed by, along with the crowd of girls following him. Yeon didn't have to see, but she was positive Seokjin was smiling. It was his way of saying goodbye.

Yeon quietly walked into her homeroom and sat down next to Haekyung, who was applying mascara. As soon as Yeon sat down, Haekyung quickly put down the mirror in her hand and turned towards Yeon.

"Yeon ah, so what's this about Seokjin sunbae busking in Hongdae on Saturday? So who is this girl he's going to ask to do a duet with him on that day?"

It was the first time Yeon heard about any of this.

"I'm not sure."

Haekyung looked confused.

"Um, Yeon, you sit next to him all the time. So what did he say?"

Yeon shrugged.

"He didn't sit next to me today."

"WHAT?! WHY NOT?!"

The loudness of Haekyung's voice caused the others in the classroom to all turn to look. Haekyung sheepishly smiled and shooed everyone back to their own conversations.

"Why the hell not?"

"Because I sort of asked him not to. Well I didn't ask him but he kindly—"

Haekyung quickly interrupted Yeon.

"What?! Why would you do that?"

"You know... well he's Seokjin sunbae. And I didn't like all the rumors and talking."

A heavy sigh came from Haekyung as she looked pathetically at Yeon.

"We're in high school Yeon. It's ok to live the ultimate teen romance. You do know that Seokjin sunbae is the hot babe of every teen romcom right?"

This was absolutely correct. Seokjin was the epitome of a prince charming from every teen romance ever. He was tall, good looking, funny, sweet, and loved by everyone. He was the whole package.

"It's not like that, Haekyung. It's Seokjin sunbae, and all the girls in school talk about him and they just automatically talk about whoever he's with."

"Fine then. Let me just ask this. So you don't have a crush on Seokjin sunbae?"

Yeon could feel her face flush over. She didn't even have to answer.

"Oh my God, right? You do. Typically, when you have a crush on someone you want to be near them as much as possible. I mean, who cares what everyone else says."

"I do... and it's not like anything could ever happen. It's highly unlikely, Haekyung."

A look of bewilderment came over Haekyung's face.

"And why not? You are beautiful, and sweet, and so damn smart. Not to mention that Hoseok said that Seokjin sunbae asked about you to him."

"You're beautiful, Haekyung. I'm just average."

Haekyung quickly flicked Yeon's forehead.

"Remember what I said? Stop bringing yourself down. I'm me and you're you. We are two different people. In any case, I really don't think you should purposely distance yourself from Seokjin sunbae. He seems to be nicer to you than any other first year. Take advantage of it! God knows anyone else would."

"Know what?"

Hoseok's head popped in between Haekyung and Yeon, who both jumped as they looked to Hoseok. He laughed as he patted both of their heads and took a seat in front of the desk and chairs in front of theirs. Hoseok turned around with a bright smile on his face.

"What were you girls talking about this lovely morning."

Haekyung pointed at Yeon.

"Yeon, just being super self-deprecating."

Hoseok frowned his face.

"Again?"

Haekyung nodded.

"Not good. Not good at all."

Yeon sighed and began to open up her notes and pull out her pencil. Class was going to start in five more minutes.

"Hey, you guys want to go see Seokjin hyung busking on Saturday? He told me to bring you guys. I think he really just wants me to bring Yeon. He said if we come by he'll buy us dinner afterwards."

Hoseok winked playfully at Yeon.

"See I told you so!"

Haekyung squealed and nearly shoved Yeon out of her seat in excitement.

"So Yeon, do you want to go?"

Yeon looked at Haekyung who was wildly nodding her head yes. A smile overcame her and Yeon looked to Hoseok as she slowly nodded as well.