Fortune Telling is a Scam

Don't Sass Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

That Saturday night 

 

The fragrance from various food vendors on the campus’s spacious courtyard made Nayeon gulp in anticipation. If there was one perk from attending Seoul University it was having a prestigious culinary department to make fantastic pretzels and corn dogs. This year the school student council seemed to go all out for the festival as various carnival rides were stationed all around. Nayeon bounced on her feet in excitement while thinking about riding the ferris wheel that glistered in blinding LED lights. 

 

“Babe.” Nayeon turned to her girlfriend who was holding small red tickets used to buy food and play games. She immediately linked arms as her girlfriend approached close enough, the winter chill was brutal. “Where are we meeting everyone else?” 

 

“Jihyo texted to meet them under the fortune telling club tent. Apparently Eunbi tagged along this year.” Mina answered as she studied a small pamphlet with directions of the festival’s layout. Nayeon scoffed in return. Even though Eunbi refused to show it, she secretly loved these special events.

 

“It’s over here, penguin.” She boldly guided her girlfriend who was fumbling with the pamphlet. Even though Mina was a studious student, the girl was worse at directions than your average kindergartener. 

 

“Are you sure?” Mina sulked. Nayeon rolled her eyes “I can hear Tzuyu, Eunbi, and Jeongyeon bickering from here.”

 

Sure enough, the two walked in on their friend group in a seemingly heated argument. From a stranger's perspective, it would have seemed like they were two hostile gangs who bumped into each other but nah. It was just another day for them.

 

“You’re getting your love fortune checked with us.” Jeongyeon cracked her knuckles

 

“No, I don’t believe in any of this stuff.” Tzuyu side-eyed the girl, arms folded.

 

“Oh come on, Sana, Momo, Goeun, and Jihyo are already in line! Just come.” Jeongyeon was tugging at the unmoving Taiwanese girl’s arm. “Eunbi unnie aren’t you going to help?” 

 

“What’s more likely, the universe suspends itself with a predetermined destiny just so you can be told you’ll find a lover this year? Or are you at an apprehension?” Eunbi chuckled.

 

“I didn’t understand a word you were saying, but I’mma take that as a no.” She stuck her tongue out at Eunbi who only laughed in return.

 

“What's up losers.” Nayeon wrapped her arms around Tzuyu and Eunbi, bringing them into a bear hug.

 

“Your hair is in my mouth, fat hands.” Eunbi spat. 

 

“So, we getting our fortune checked?” Nayeon darted her eyes at both girls.

 

“No.” They coldly returned.

 

“Oh don’t be such a buzzkill.” A small Chaeyoung chuckled as Dahyun and her walked up to the five girls.

 

“I like your new hair.” Mina ran her fingers through Dahyun’s bleached hair which gave her a look similar to Elsa from the movie Frozen.

 

“You guys are supposed to be on MY side!” Tzuyu scrunched her eyebrows at her two best friends.

 

“I mean come on, don’t you want to know if you got any chance with that Hyewon girl?” Chaeyoung slapped Tzuyu’s arm playfully. Tzuyu’s nose flared and red filled her neck and cheeks. “How did you learn about that?”

 

Dahyun took out her phone to show a scandalous picture of Tzuyu and Hyewon comfortably snuggled onto each other taken by Wonyoung at the sleepover the past week.

 

Tzuyu held onto Dahyun's phone. “I thought Mina unnie told her to delete that photo” She switched her attention to the said girl in betrayal.

 

“She must have sent it before I got the chance.” Mina shrugged in her white lie.

 

“You’re getting your love fortune checked, no matter what you say.” Chaeyoung and Nayeon grabbed onto each side of Tzuyu and began dragging her like a prisoner towards the tent. Mina, Dahyun, and Chaeyoung trudged along also.

 

“You coming too Eunbi?” Goeun turned her head to the lone girl. 

 

“You guys go ahead, I’m catching up with a friend.”

 

--------------------------------------------------------

On the other side of the festival

 

“Let’s eat this too!” Yena was already dragging her roommates minus Yuri into a tent selling fancy cotton candy. Every girl’s hand was full of various snacks they had already bought, except Hyewon, who looked over at her three roommates in disgust.

 

“I think I'm really going to be sick before I eat any of this.” Hyewon covered with her hand.

 

Chaeyeon who was nomming on a cheese hotdog. “I thought you loved food vendors?”

 

 “She did before she got sick eating so much at Everland with Chaewon” Yena sneered while rubbing mustard off Chameleon's mouth.

 

“Are you really not going to eat anything?” Chaeyeon looked a little disappointed.

 

“Even if I was hungry, I have too many nerves to eat anything anyways” Hyewon was looking into the crowd ahead of them.

 

“Nerves?” Yena tilted her head curiously.

 

“I’ve decided that today was the day I'm going to ask Sakura out on a formal date.” Hyewon boldfully gleed. 

 

“You what?” All three girls said in unison.

 

 “You heard me right, 2019 is about to end and I might as well shoot my shot. Besides, I don’t think I can handle looking at her from afar any longer.” 

 

Approving nods came from her roommates as they absorbed Hyewon who seemed determined with her decision.

 

“Well, I wish you the best!” Yena threw her a big thumbs up. 

 

“Don’t be too disappointed if she rejects you though. Sakura is known to be a flirt and a heartbreaker.” Minju patted the girl's shoulder as if she foresaw what would happen.

 

“I have a friend who’s in the fortune telling club, should we go check it out and get your love fortune checked?” Chaeyeon suddenly offered. 

 

They all nodded their heads eagerly and followed.

 

---------------------------------------------------------

Back at the fortune telling tent

 

“I’m doomed.” Momo held her head to her knees after being told her hopeless love fortune from an apologetic member of the club.

 

“It’s ok, you still have us.” Dahyun and Goeun lightly soothed the despondent girl.

 

“Aren’t they Yena’s roommates?” Jihyo pointed at the four approaching girls.

 

“Hey, your girlfriend’s here” Jeongyeon turned excitedly trying to find Tzuyu. She was amused to see the girl already blushing but was staring at a slip of white paper with her fortune. 

 

Jeongyeon peeked behind the girl to find the character “love”. 

 

“It must be fate!” Jeongyeon loudly gasped before snagging Tzuyu’s fortune from her hands to show to everyone else. “Tzuyu’s not going to be single this year guys!” She paraded the slip of paper as though it was her own.

 

“I'm going to kill you-!” Tzuyu was already fired up before being interrupted by Hyewon and the rest of her roommates walking up.

 

“Mina unnie.” Minju and Mina pulled each other into a friendly embrace. The rest followed suit and began making small talk.

 

“Fancy seeing you guys here.” Yena bowed her head a little to the older girls.

 

“You guys getting your fortune checked too?” Nayeon was back hugging Mina to warm the girl.

 

“Actually Hyewon is, she’s planning to ask someone out tonight.”

 

“She’s what?” Tzuyu nudged into the conversation curiously.

 

“Hyewon is about to ask Sakura unnie out, she’s had a crush on her for two years now.” Minju rolled her eyes.

 

Mina puckered her lips in contemplation. “Not too sure how that’s going to work.” As she reflected on her closest gaming friend. 

 

“Either way she’s already decided and there's no changing her mind.” Yena shook her head.

 

“Hyewon, did you want to ask Mina unnie for advice? She knows Sakura super well.” She hollered at Hyewon who was off in a corner talking to Jeongyeon, Sana, and Chaeyoung.

 

Hyewon and the three followed up as they began making a huge circle. 

 

“Thanks for the offer but no matter what, I’m going to get it off my chest tonight.” Hyewon smiled, determined.

 

“Someone might be a little disappointed in that.” Dahyun whispered to Momo, who nodded in agreement. They both covertly eyed Tzuyu who stood looking down at her black vans dejectedly as she continued to listen to Mina and Hyewon talk.

 

“One, two, three, seven, fourteen, holy crap! There's fourteen of us here.” Jihyo proclaimed, baffled in surprise. 

 

“Don’t forget about us!” A squeaky voice interrupted from behind.

 

“There you guys are!” Jihyo opened up the circle so Wonyoung and Yujin could join in.

 

Wonyoung was rocking a cute winter dress while Yujin wore ripped jeans with a red flannel over a hoodie. ‘The two were completely mismatched’ Yena noted. 

 

“Sixteen now.” Goeun scoffed as she observed the obnoxious circle they formed and  the obvious glares from other students having to walk around them.

 

“We’re only missing Chaewon and Yuri.” Yena confidently nodded.

 

“Where is that cute girl?” Sana pouted wanting to pinch Yuri’s little cheeks again.

 

“She had family plans and it's why Chaewon and I are doing a duet tonight.”

 

“Chaewon and you are doing a WHAT?” Chaeyoung exclaimed, mortified.

 

Jeongyeon's mouth dropped in dismay. “That girl won’t even get me a fork f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter