Chapter 2

Beneath the Shadow

Roaming about the forest, as he was accustomed to, these days, Kibum kept wishing that he hadn't been spared from the attack that took away his whole family. All he wanted was someone who genuinely cared about him. Was he being too selfish for hoping and praying to find love? It always seemed to evade him. True, he felt attracted to those with power, and he would be lying if he didn't admit that he'd previously liked Minho. Though it was before he met Taemin, he wished no one would ever find out about that. He kept wandering aimlessly, not knowing or caring where he went. All he wanted was to find a place where he could be able to clear his thoughts. Not noticing he was in werewolf territory, Kibum continued walking until he found himself right in front of two pups who seemed to be training to fight. They pricked up their ears and sniffed eagerly as they heard him approach them before growling and springing towards him, aiming for his jugular. Jumping backward with a start, Kibum almost crashed into someone standing right behind him.

"Hey, knock it off, boys!"

"We're sorry"

Kibum watched, stunned as the two pups reverted into their human form, hanging their heads as a result of the scolding they just received. Looking around, he saw a guy who looked roughly around the same age as him. With tousled dark hair and sharp features, he was attractive in a more rugged kind of way.

"Are you alright? I'm sorry about the boys. They've been practicing their moves. We expect the kids to be fully trained before they can join the elite members of the pack for hunts"

Was this guy a werewolf? He didn't look like what Kibum expected him to look like. Basically someone shaggy-haired and with bulging muscles who smelled like a wet dog. Kicking himself mentally for even thinking that this guy was attractive, he forced himself to answer the question,

"I'm fine"

"Are you sure? You look a little shaky. If you want, I can walk you till the edge of our territory. It may not be safe for you to go alone"

Why was this guy being nice, and why was Kibum's heart beating faster? This guy was a werewolf, and it was his kind that had destroyed Kibum's whole family.

"I don't need your help. I'll have you know that I'm not as pathetically weak as I used to be"

Woohyun stared after the shadow creature wondering why on Earth he was so hostile. With a shrug, he continued to supervise the training of the two boys.

"I don't need your help. I'll have you know that I'm not as pathetically weak as I used to be"

Woohyun stared after the shadow creature wondering why on Earth he was so hostile. With a shrug, he continued to supervise the training of the two boys.

Feeling furious with himself, Kibum walked faster until he reached a lake with such crystal clear waters that he sat at the edge and dipped his feet inside. It had been years since he'd allowed himself to indulge in one of his childhood pleasures. Water had always calmed him, and now he realized how Taemin had always managed to stay calm, no matter what the situation was. For the first time in his adult life, he wanted to go back in time and do the same things he did during his childhood. As he reveled in his memories, he heard the sound of someone approaching him stealthily but failing. Their muffled giggles made Kibum relax and reach down to the water and make a splash in their general direction, as opposed to using his powers. Kibum smiled as two children stepped forward, laughing as they approached him. Hesitating but for a moment, he allowed the children to move closer to him and showed them how he could manipulate his shadow into shapes. They were the same children he'd come across, except that they seemed to have finished their practice and were in an altogether more fun mood. With their sandy hair and eager expressions, they reminded Kibum of himself, as a child. Although he hated their kind, Kibum couldn't bring himself to hate the children.

As they continued to play, Kibum suddenly sensed someone else approaching them. Baring his fangs, he stood protectively in front of the children, only to find the werewolf from earlier striding towards them. Assuming that he'd come to fight, Kibum stood in position, ready to attack.

"I'm sorry if the boys were bothering you. They don't usually leave the pack"

"Let them be. I don't mind their presence"

The sunny smile he was awarded by the children made him feel really warm inside, whereas his proximity to the werewolf made him feel a little shy. Puzzled, he walked away, trying to figure out where these feelings were coming from.

There was only one thing he couldn't understand. Why his encounter with those werewolves had evoked something in him. Something that he'd buried for all these years. His humanity and emotions.