Chapter 3

Beneath the Shadow

Woohyun found it very strange the way the shadow creature's moods kept changing. The fact that he seemed like a dark cloud was probably what made him so interesting. For some strange reason, Woohyun really wanted to get to know him. To him, this was really, really weird as he'd never felt such a compulsive need to know anyone before. The first time he saw that gorgeous blonde, he felt a strange pull in his heart and a sudden loss of breath. Not knowing what was happening to him, Woohyun just played it off by acting cool. The second time it happened was when he was watching the shadow creature interact with the kids under his guard. Instead of hearing warning bells in his head, Woohyun had only felt warm inside. No doubt about it, there was surely something wrong with him. The only way he could make any sort of sense of what was happening to him, was if he spoke to his parents about it. After all, his father was the Alpha of the pack and knew about every little thing that would affect them. Hurrying home, he was greeted by his mother who was immediately able to see that something was bothering him. 

"Is something wrong, Woohyun? You seem troubled"

"Mom, I've been having some really strange feelings lately. I find myself short of breath"

"All the time?"

"No, it has happened only twice till now"

"Do you feel a tug in your heartstrings?"

"Mom, I do. I think I may have had a heart attack"

Utterly shocked to see his mother burst into laughter, he waited for her to continue.

"Woohyun, have you met anyone recently? By the sound of it, I think you've found your mate. This happens only to Lycan males, and I remember your father telling me about it"

His mate. He'd always assumed his mate would be a Lycan like him. Never in his wildest dreams had he ever imagined that his mate would be a different being entirely. A shadow creature. Relaxing a little bit in front of his mother, he allowed himself to smile a little, so as not to make her worry. Or ask him any questions. The last thing he wanted to do was to lie. At the moment, he had a lot of other things to do, rather than arguing with his heart. As he sat watching the boys play fighting in their wolf forms, he let his thoughts wander back to what he had been told. Why did his mate have to be someone who wouldn't want to be with him? Not to mention the fact that he, Woohyun, would be thrown out of his pack. The son of the Alpha, disgracing himself and his pack by falling for someone who wasn't like them at all. However, it was a matter of the heart, which he simply couldn't ignore. From now on, he decided that he'd do what he can to let the shadow creature know that he was in fact, Woohyun's true mate. Hoping that his seemingly gentle face would decrease the effect of his macho personality, Woohyun set off to find the shadow creature and speak to him. Almost instinctively, he somehow knew where he would find the shadow creature. Walking towards the lake that lay in the middle of all their territories, Woohyun was amazed by the various sights he saw. Miniscule rainbows created by the sun and the morning dew that still stayed on the green grass. Something was definitely different, as he felt like a new person now. He moved from someone who was always busy, to someone who wanted to check out the beauty of everything around him. Perhaps this is what happens when Lycans find their mate.

Woohyun stopped in his tracks as he saw what seemed like a black cloud moving rapidly towards the lake. Slowing his breath, he silently followed the cloud until he reached the lake. Almost instantly, he felt the tell-tale sign of loss of breath. This had to be him. The cloud morphed into the man of his dreams. Blond and with a smile that made Woohyun's heart lurch, the creature sat by the lake, dipping his feet inside like he did the previous day. Wondering whether or not this was the right time to show himself, Woohyun stepped forward as the creature jumped up, snarling.

"What do you want, werewolf?"

Without thinking, Woohyun said the first thing that came to his mind

"Your love"

From the surprise and confusion on the shadow creature's face, Woohyun knew he'd said something really stupid. Sighing slightly, he turned around and walked back to where he had come from, hoping he wouldn't be so stupid the next time.