Chapter 8

Beneath the Shadow

Noticing that Woohyun hadn't slept a wink, Jihyo smiled a motherly smile as she tousled his hair lovingly.

"Your shadow creature cares for you"

"How can you tell?"

"He's looking for you. My sisters stopped him from entering the Lycan area"

Finally feeling a lot more confident and happier since his conversation with Taejun, Woohyun decided to leave the outskirts the very next day. It seemed he definitely had a lot to discuss with his father, the Alpha. One of the main things on his agenda was to convince his father to accept Taejun and his mate back into the pack. The new bit of knowledge he'd learned about Kibum was a little perplexing but gave him a bit of hope as they had technically descended from the same pack. Although he did understand why his pack seemed to be against shadow creatures, this was surely another point of discussion.

************************************************************

"Where the hell have you been, Woohyun?"

"I had to work out a few things"

"You were with that creature, weren't you? Traitor"

"I had gone to the outskirts. I didn't get any support from you, so I found someone who did support me. Father, you were wrong to banish Taejun from the pack"

"I should have known that you would have gone there. Why do you keep disgracing the pack this way? I feel as if you are doing all of this just to humiliate and embarrass me"

Although he tried very hard to maintain his composure, Woohyun could do nothing about the blind fury that just bubbled to the surface.

"Father, you have embarrassed the pack, by lying and hiding things from them"

"How dare you!"

Knowing fully well what was coming next, Woohyun stood still as his father raised his hand and slapped him across the face. Tasting blood in his mouth Woohyun stood straight and looked his father in the eyes before continuing.

"I've seen how life is outside the pack, away from all the rules you've enforced. Where people can actually be happy"

"Is this the influence of that nymph of Taejun's? Who has given you the courage to talk back to your Alpha?"

"I thought you were my father first, and Alpha second. Please listen to me. I know about the secret of the blood moon. I think we would be able to unite the whole forest, without harming anyone. The shadow creatures are just like us. Or better yet, we are exactly like them"

"Blasphemy! You were never to be told of the curse. I will never forgive that traitor Taejun or that woman of his for telling you"

"Father, don't blame them. I forced them to tell me. Now as the son of the Alpha, I'm ready to make this news known within our pack"

Although he had no idea why his father was getting so angry, Woohyun still continued to press him further. So far it seemed as though he had spent his life being brainwashed by the members of his pack, as well as his father. In this regard, it would surely be much better to just leave the pack and go off by himself. He was sure that he would be infinitely happier than he currently was.

"Woohyun, I'm giving you one more chance to keep that information to yourself, and become the next Alpha"

"Father, I can't live a life based on lies. I've found my mate as well, and I want to bring him into our pack and bring back those who were exiled"

"If you continue like this, I'll be forced to deal with you as the Alpha and not your father"

"What would you do, Father? Throw me out of the pack? I'll make things easy for you. I refuse to stay in a pack that is so close minded"

Not even bothering to listen to what his so-called Alpha had to say, Woohyun turned around and walked away from the only home and family he had ever known. His next step was to court Kibum, and let him know the fact that they were meant to be. Woohyun also had to find the light demon and battle with him to prove his worth.

**************************************************************

Jinki was able to notice certain subtle changes in Kibum's behavior when he hadn't seen the Lycan in a while. Although he knew Kibum would rather cut off his arm than admit it, he secretly liked the attention he received from Woohyun. It was tragic that Kibum was afraid to let the others know about his secret crush, as they all hated the Lycans equally. Truth be told, Jinki would be more than happy to act as a go-between if Kibum wanted to confess his feelings. The five of them came from different species and were still able to live together in harmony. Personally, he didn't have an issue with adding a Lycan into their close knit family.