Chapter 5

Beneath the Shadow

Woohyun hadn't expected that at all. What was wrong in wanting to have a peaceful coexistence with all other creatures in the forest? How on Earth would he even be able to tell his pack the truth? He could hardly tell his own parents that his true mate was a shadow creature, but at the same time, he couldn't ignore what his heart was saying to him. He wanted to be with the creature. He just had to. Interrupted from his thoughts by the sound of the children arriving, Woohyun stood up, ready for their lesson.

"Why did our mom tell us not to play with Kibum?"

"Kibum? Who is that?"

"He's our new friend. He's really cool"

Kibum. So that was the shadow creature's name. His father was wrong about him. There was no way Kibum would hurt the children or anyone else from the pack. It was obvious that the children were being watched, so there was no way they could see Kibum again. Woohyun wouldn't allow Kibum to get hurt because of him. If only he was able to stay away.

After finishing the training, Woohyun went back to the lake to speak to Kibum, only to find the area completely empty. Feeling a strange sense of loss and loneliness, he went back to join his pack.

Kibum suppressed his newfound need to see Woohyun again and somehow managed to keep himself busy. He knew that it wouldn't be good to indulge himself so early, as he'd always lost interest really quickly. It didn't make any sense for him to go and look for Woohyun. However, staying around the others made him feel a little left out, although they all made an effort to make sure he was included in all of their discussions. However, he was glad he'd told Jinki about his dilemma as now he finally had someone who understood him. Kibum knew for a fact that all of the others loathed werewolves as much as he did, and so was really hesitant to tell them about Woohyun. It would have been good if Woohyun was any other being. Why was he being plagued by his worst nightmare? As much as Kibum hated to admit it, he'd spent most of his life having nightmares of the events that had happened that day. The zombie werewolves had wreaked havoc on his family, just slaughtering all of them without even caring. He'd been shielded by the bodies of his parents and had lived a very hard life since. A young child left to the mercies of the forest, filled with the guilt that his family was gone because of him. Having to fend for himself for all those years had made Kibum very suspicious of strangers, and it had taken him a great deal of effort in order to allow himself to become close to Minho and the others.

Meanwhile, Woohyun spent his time deep in thought. Knowing that he couldn't open up to anyone around him about his feelings, he had to plan a trip to the outskirts, which was forbidden to all members of the pack. Only those that had been banished from the pack were found there, and being caught speaking to someone who wasn't a part of the pack anymore would only result in punishment. Almost instinctively, Woohyun knew that he had to visit the outskirts in order to relieve what was in his heart. Transforming into his wolf form, he sprinted towards the outskirts, before anyone noticed him leaving. When his throat started feeling scratchy, he realized that he was probably close to the outskirts. Sure enough, he reached that deserted place within a matter of minutes. Coughing slightly while wiping the dust from his eyes, he struggled to control his breathing so that he wouldn't inhale the dust by mistake. It seemed rather forlorn, almost as if there were no inhabitants. Everything around him was hazy, and all he could see was a solitary tree in the distance, which added a touch of color to the area. Wasn't there any water in this area? How the heck was anyone even able to survive? Woohyun couldn't handle it anymore, his parched throat was just killing him. Falling to his knees, he crawled towards the tree with difficulty and reached out his hand to pluck some leaves. By crushing the leaves, he was hoping to get some of the moisture, which would help him survive for a little while. Using the last of his strength to stretch his hand and pull out some leaves, Woohyun could almost swear that he heard a little squeal before his legs gave way and he fell to the ground, with his vision turning black.

When he came to, Woohyun was lying on a makeshift bed made of straw. Hearing voices near him, he pricked up his ears to try and listen to what they were saying.

"I hope that boy is okay, my love. I feel quite worried about him"

"It was wrong of you to bring him here"

"How could I just leave him there to die? I had to bring him. Why do you look so worried? Do you know him?"

"He's the son of the alpha of my pack"

"The pack that threw you out, because you loved me?"