Chapter 4

Beneath the Shadow

Kibum was taken aback by what the werewolf said. He wanted Kibum's love. He had a higher chance of getting his nose broken.

"Stay away from me, werewolf"

"My name is Woohyun"

"I don't care who you are. Just stay away from me"

Not stopping to see the disappointment on Woohyun's face, Kibum walked away before his anger got the better of him. He couldn't believe the audacity of that werewolf. Walking back to the cave, he spotted Jinki and Jonghyun watching silently as Minho and Taemin were pretending to wrestle each other. How could he tell them about what had happened? Would they be able to understand the conflicting emotions he was going through? As he fought with himself, out of the corner of his eye, he saw Jinki approach him.

"Kibum, you look worried. Come, sit with us for a while. You always spend your days outside. I feel as if we haven't seen you"

Jinki was gentle enough to understand his troubles and nice enough to not say a word to others.

"Jinki, I have to confess something, and I would like your advice. I think I may like someone, but he's our enemy"

"Do you feel happy when you see him?"

"I don't know. I'm supposed to hate him, but when I see him, I feel tingly inside"

"Trust your heart, not your mind. You've been relying on your mind for all these years. By your expression, I'm guessing that he must be a werewolf"

"You're right, as usual"

"I mean it. Give yourself a chance to open your heart a little more. You opened it to us, took us in, and turned us into a family. Think of how you'd feel when you open it even more"

Feeling much better, Kibum allowed himself to smile as he hugged Jinki. Perhaps he was right. He'd built a wall around himself ever since he lost his family. If this Woohyun wanted to try to remove the wall, Kibum wouldn't oppose him as much as he wanted to. It was time to rid himself of all his hatred, or at least reduce it. He'd made a good decision of confiding his problems to Jinki as now his mind didn't feel as burdened as it used to.

The next morning, Kibum went back to his usual spot by the lake to think about all that Jinki had told him, but Woohyun was nowhere to be found. This made it so much easier for Kibum, as he was secretly dreading their next meeting as he really didn't know what he would say to him. Almost instantly, he saw the two Lycan children run towards him and dive into the lake. Ah, to be young and carefree. Looking around and not spotting Woohyun anywhere, Kibum relaxed and started talking to the boys.

"Don't you two have to train today?"

"The council is having a meeting so we can do whatever we want to"

"Where's your...teacher?"

"Oh, Woohyun is the son of the Alpha so he has to be at the meeting, too. What's your name?"

"I'm Kibum"

As they heard the sound of howls in the distance, the boys quickly scrambled to their feet, not caring that their hands and knees were muddy.

"That's our mom saying it's time for lunch, so we have to go now. Bye Kibum, see you tomorrow"

As he waved to the boys, he let the information they let out, slip into his mind. Woohyun was the son of the Alpha. That meant he would have to take his place as the Alpha, in a few years. To Kibum, it meant that Woohyun was forbidden, even if he wanted him. There was no way he'd even go near the guy anymore. He'd already lost one family to the pack of werewolves and really wasn't ready to endanger the safety of his new family by falling for Woohyun.

*****************************************************

Woohyun knelt in front of the Elders before assuming his spot at the Council Meeting.

"Come on up, Woohyun. You're going to become the Alpha in a few years so you need to start preparing for it from now on. It's about time you got involved in making decisions for the pack"

Obeying his father, Woohyun sat at the empty space next to his father and listened to all the advise that was given to the younger members of the pack.

"Woohyun, I've been told that the children you teach had been spotted in the company of an enemy today. Do you have anything to say to that?"

"Father, I take full responsibility, but you must know that the shadow creature isn't dangerous at all. He isn't our enemy"

"If I didn't know any better, I would think you cared for the creature. Woohyun, as Alpha of the pack, I forbid you and the boys from having any sort of contact with that creature henceforth"