Chapter 9

Beneath the Shadow

Meanwhile, Woohyun had officially left his pack and spent his time hanging by the lake, just hoping that Kibum would come. Sure enough, there he was, along with that light demon of his. Wondering why he suddenly felt jealous, Woohyun focused his thoughts back to Kibum and smiled brightly.

"Kibum, you came"

Woohyun felt tingles as Kibum smiled brightly, but still felt wary of the way the light demon kept surveying him. Almost as if he expected Woohyun to attack Kibum. Couldn't he see the love in his eyes? Snarling as he saw the demon step in front of Kibum, Woohyun sprang at him, shifting to his Lycan form mid-jump. Almost immediately, Kibum shifted to his shadow form and Woohyun felt himself getting thrown backward. Getting up gingerly, Woohyun saw the demon glow brightly as he threw a bolt of light so bright it hurt his eyes. Failing to dodge out of the way of the beam, Woohyun cursed himself for trying to attack the demon. As he stood dazed, Woohyun could make out two more creatures walking towards them, led by an angry looking vampire.

Making up his mind that he won't give up without a fight, Woohyun sprang again, only to be stopped by the vampire.

"Stay away from my mate, you filthy dog"

Woohyun felt astonished when the demon came to his defense immediately and stood between him and the hissing vampire. It was odd that a vampire and demon were mates, but was it odder than a Lycan and shadow creature?

"Jonghyun-ah, don't. This Lycan assumed that I was a threat and reacted accordingly. Taemin, Minho, please don't assume this Lycan's actions based on how his pack used to be"

It seemed as though the demon was the leader of these varied creatures which each of them being the polar opposite to the other. Darkness and light. Fire and water. Instantly the other creatures who had looked at him with utter hatred, softened towards him, which confused Woohyun a lot. After looking to the supposed leader, Kibum took a step forward.

"Woohyun, your pack and ancestors have done a lot of damage to all of our families. You can't expect me to forgive you for that"

"I know that my pack was wrong, and I don't want to go back to that life. Did you know, we were meant to meet. It's fate and you're my destiny, Kibum"

"Are you mad? You can't do this. No one here will accept you. You'd be endangering all our lives. Just go away"

Woohyun was known for being stubborn and refused to give up, even this time. He'd found his mate and there was no way he'd let Kibum slip away from him.

"Kibum, please..."

Woohyun was rewarded by Kibum stomping off angrily, back where he had come from, followed by all the other creatures with the exception of the demon.

"Give him time. He'll come around. Don't you worry, Kibum has always been stubborn"

"Thank you, demon"

"Jinki"

"Woohyun"

Feeling somewhat comforted, Woohyun decided to spend the rest of the night by the lake and hope that Kibum would return.

************************************************************************

Meanwhile, the rest of the members had all ganged up against Jinki and Kibum regarding this new development.

"A Lycan? How can you expect us to help him? Jinki, you know what has happened!"

"I know he wasn't lying about his feelings. I've seen the way he looks at Kibum"

"Are you crazy?"

"Jonghyun-ah, I can see that he's genuine. Trust me"

"You can't believe a Lycan. I can't let you put everyone in danger by simply focusing on how he looks at Kibum. I don't believe in any of this"

"Jonghyun-ah, you look at me the same way. The same goes for Minho and Taemin. Doesn't Kibum deserve love too?"

Kibum just watched as Jinki spoke on his behalf, and managed to convince the members not to attack Woohyun. Although he was dreading having to face Woohyun after walking away so rudely, Kibum only wanted to go back and apologize. Not knowing who would support him, Kibum tried to sneak out but was spotted by the watchful Jinki, who laid a hand on his shoulder and smiled.

"Go on, Kibum-ah"

Needed no further urging, Kibum rushed to the lake to see Woohyun, who was sitting by a tree, almost as if he had been waiting for him. Noticing the way Woohyun's entire face lit up, Kibum was finally convinced about Woohyun's feelings. Before he could open his mouth to speak, Kibum heard the sound of howls in the distance. Judging by the way Woohyun sprang to attention and assumed a defensive stance, this was no blood moon but seemed to be his entire pack. With his heart pounding and his breath caught in his chest, Kibum waited to see what would happen next. Shortly, they were approached by a pack of Lycans, some in wolf form.

"Woohyun, did you really think we would allow you to leave the pack just like that?"

"I have denounced the pack, and am no longer next in line to be the Alpha"

Wide eyed, Kibum didn't say a word as the Lycans surveyed him with disdain.

"Is this the creature you left us for? You'll be forced to come back and take your rightful place once we destroy him"

Kibum's feet seemed rooted to the ground as he watched all of them transform into their wolf forms before leaping towards his jugular, with their fangs gleaming in the moonlight.