Chapter 6

Beneath the Shadow

One of the voices was rough and masculine, the other gentle and feminine. Just by listening to them, Woohyun was sure he'd come to the right place. He was indeed at the abode of the previous Elder, Taejun who had been ostracised from their pack for falling in love with a wood nymph. As per what he heard, it seemed as if Taejun really wouldn't help him. Honestly, he knew that coming here to the outskirts was definitely a gamble and there was absolutely zero guarantee that anyone would help him. He'd probably made a mistake, but at this point, he really couldn't care less. Worst case, he'd be forced to emotionally blackmail Taejun into helping him. After all, he was the son of the Alpha, and even ex-members of the pack had sworn their loyalty to him.

"I wonder if he's awake yet"

"I hope he is, as then we can tell him to leave"

"He might have come here to see you. Why else would he want to undertake this type of journey?"

"I don't care. Just tell him to leave"

"His feet are swollen and bleeding, he must have run the whole way. Just imagine how much pain he must be in"

"You're too kind for your own good, Jihyo"

"You've told me stories about this one. You trained him, didn't you? If you can't do it for him, then do it for me. Just listen to why he's here"

From what he could hear, it seemed as though the wood nymph wanted to help him. Was it possible to beg for her help? As he heard them approaching him, Woohyun pretended as if he was asleep. As he felt something cold and wet on his forehead, he opened his eyes and saw her. She had green eyes with brown hair and looked quite elfin. The way she smiled at him, she reminded him of his kind and gentle mother. In a way, she really seemed like a mother to him.

"Sleep some more, child. You need to rest"

Although he really wanted to speak to the Elder at that moment, his exhaustion got the better of him and he fell back into a dreamless sleep. After a while, he sensed someone standing near him and felt the Elder's callused palm on his forehead.

"Wake up, Woohyun"

Woohyun opened his eyes to find his teacher standing in front of him, looking worried. The last time he'd seen this amount of care in his former teacher's face was when he was still a pup.

"This isn't what I've taught you. Haven't I taught you that you need to rest in between traveling?"

"I..I was in a hurry. I had to see you"

"What's the matter, my boy?"

"I....love someone"

"That's natural. Why did you want to see me for that?"

"The person I love isn't a Lycan"

Woohyun saw the look exchanged by Taejun and his mate and somehow knew instinctively that they would support him. After all, they had been in the same position as him all those years ago. Taking a deep breath, he continued,

"Kibum is a shadow creature"

The quick intake of breath by those around him made his heartbeat quicken. He knew exactly what they were going to say.

"A shadow creature? You mean, a sworn enemy of the Lycans? You'll have to give it up, Woohyun"

"I can't. I know that he's my mate"

"Don't you know what will happen? Woohyun, you'd be forced to leave the pack"

"I don't care. My heart is more important to me. I tried ignoring my feelings for a long time, but I really couldn't"

"I can't speak to this boy anymore, Jihyo"

Woohyun watched as Taejun abruptly left the room, shaking his head. Sure that he'd said the wrong thing, but too stubborn to change his mind, he stared after Taejun's retreating back, with his shoulders slumped.

"Don't feel too dejected. He's in shock"

"Have I made a mistake, ma'am?"

"No, my son. You haven't. Leave it to me, I'll talk to Taejun"

Smiling as Jihyo pressed a gentle kiss to his forehead, Woohyun sank back into the makeshift bed, feeling protected. Although he was far away from his pack, Taejun and Jihyo felt more like his family, as they were the only ones who would be able to help him.