Chapter 1

Beneath the Shadow

After spending last week almost fighting for their lives, they all needed a ton of rest and recuperation. Looking around, Kibum smiled as he saw Jonghyun sleeping with his head resting on Jinki's lap. Taemin, on the other hand, was dozing with his head on Minho's shoulder. It felt good to be part of a team where he was accepted. Having spent his adolescent as well as adult life all by himself, he'd turned incredibly hostile towards everyone else in the beginning. What a long way they'd all come together. Never in his wildest dreams would he have ever imagined being friends with his natural enemies. The blood moon had taken care of that, causing them to band together and battle what seemed to be a herd of berserk werewolves. Each pack in the forest had turned into a herd of zombies that literally made Kibum's flesh crawl. Now that things were back to normal, at least for now, they could all just do what they wanted to.

As he roamed around the forest, looking for their prey, he felt more than a little thankful for finally finding his new family. Scattered around the forest were bodies of all the animals and beings that the werewolves had annihilated. It was going to take a lot of clean up to get the forest back to how it used to be. Strewn around were a lot of werewolves, lying on their backs. After the beating they'd received, it would take them more than a few days to even be able to walk. Swiftly decapitating a deer, Kibum carried it's carcass back to Minho's lair, where the five of them continued to stay. Although they each preferred to go back to their own haunts during the day, they all returned to the cave after dusk.

Watching them eat ravenously, he smiled on the inside as he felt like a mother bird feeding her chicks. It warmed his heart to see the way everyone took care of each other, including him. Jonghyun and Jinki had been together since the very beginning and only seemed to radiate their love for each other. It was a miracle the way the undead vampire's face glowed each time that he saw the light demon. Who would've thought that it was the vampire that was more dominant? On the other hand, there was the little water sprite, Taemin and Minho the fire fairy. Another unlikely pairing, but they made everything look so easy. They each had different powers and fighting styles but it always worked perfectly when they fought, side by side. The demon and vampire seemed to be the oldest in their group, with the sprite being the youngest. He was the only one who would hunt by himself, as his shadow form couldn't help transport anyone else. It was during these times that he felt especially lonely, and wished there were more of his kind. Each of them in the cave was the last of their kind, with their families being massacred by the werewolves during the previous blood moon. This was why he had always borne nothing but hatred and contempt for the werewolves. Although they were never completely in control of their actions, he had always blamed them.

Given a choice, he would have slain each injured werewolf he saw, but they helped in maintaining the balance between all the creatures and beings in their enchanted forest. Even that wet dog smell of theirs was enough to switch his mood into that of murderous rage. Shifting his mind to the present, he watched as Taemin sprayed Minho with water droplets, laughing merrily as the fairy grinned and turned the evaporated mist into shapes that kept the sprite amused. They were a lot more playful than the vampire and demon whose love was much more intense and open. They spent their free time singing to each other, with their fingers interlocked. Granted, they'd grown up together and could read each other like an open book, but their combined singing voices made Kibum really miss his family. Fighting his feelings of incomparable, extreme loneliness, he silently left the cave, before he was noticed by the others. For some reason, he wanted to be alone with his thoughts.