I'm Going to Dance...?

There Was Him, Then Me

 

                “Hurry, Eun Mi-eh!! If you don’t hurry I’m leaving without you!” Min yelled from the door. With a shake of my head, I gave her a wave to show her that she could leave.

                “Anyo(no). I’m behind in work. Just bring me back some Hoeddeok.” I said from the studio. I heard an exasperated sigh.

                “You’re so weird. Eating breakfast for lunch, you’re such a kid." Min laughed and I heard the door close. I smiled and set down my broom to turn on the radio. Miss A came on with their song Breathe. I took a bit of a stretched then when the words started, I began dancing.

                The feeling that dancing brought me was that as if the world had been lifted off my shoulders and I haven’t a care in this world. Thoughts of the past week made themselves clear in my head. My cousin was probably off at her day job. Oh man, she had been useless to me this past week. Habo(idiot)… My parents had told me that she was to show me around Seoul and stay with me at home till I was used to the big city. I began to feel so bored I even cleaned the house a bit. And that’s actually how I ended up here, in the Shang Dance Studio. I was shopping for a good duster when I saw the flyer. Business school wouldn’t start till the beginning of the school year, so I might as well be making money cleaning. Beside…

                I loved that I could dance….

                The song ended and I heard the sound of a single pair of hands clapping. I turned, shocked and embarrassed. A boy, about a year or two older than me, was leaning against the door way wearing a smug smile. His fluffy hair was a dark auburn and his cheek bones and jaw line were wonderfully sculpted. He looked awfully familiar…

                “annyeonghaseyo.(hello)” He said simply and walked onto the floor. “I’m sorry for intruding, but I was just here to advertise for an upcoming dance event.” He stopped right in front of me and gave me a strange look. “you do know who I am right?”

                “Kim Jonghyun…” I stated, still a bit thrown off by the sudden appearance. He smiled again and patted my back.

                “You’re a pretty decent dancer. A bit too stiff though.” He laughed and sat down on a near-by stool. “But I think you have a chance to make it, all you need is some practice. Have you ever took any dance lessons?”

                I shook my head and was brought out of my daze. “shil le je ma(excuse me)? Well oh, actually I took ballet lessons as a kid.” I said, becoming rather tense since I had no idea how to react to him.  He gave me an up and down look over then nodded.

                “but you were dancing to Miss A and it didn’t look like any ballet dance I know of.” He smirked. “don’t be so tense. I’m rather relieved you’re not a screaming fan girl, but you’re making me uncomfortable just standing there.”

                 “ Eh? Oh sorry, Jonghyun-nim…”I said quietly, trying to relax.

                “Just Jonghyun-eh will do.” he laughed and patted to the stool next to him. I took a seat and he looked at me.

                “so, you want to join?” he pulled a flyer from his pocket and handed it to me.

 

SHINEE DANCE STYLE

JOIN NOW!!!

Competitors from all over the country will come and compete for a once in a life time opportunity to become famous!

Winner also receives:

-5,000,000 Won!!!

-complete scholarship to Seoul’s Dance Academy

-dance in SHINee’s new video

Entrance Fee: 112,640 won    Ages:15-25    Sign-up date: Next week

 

                I looked up at him in disbelief.

                “You can’t truly think I’m this good? I don’t stand a chance. I don’t even go to dance classes now…” I shook my head and gave the flyer back.

                “Well…If you want help, I can pitch in some dance lessons?” he said, with another one of his smirks that were actually starting to agitate me a bit. I gave him an exasperated look. All together, though, he was serious.

                “anyo…My parent’s won’t approve of this.” I sighed. He gave me a surprised look.

                “Why would they care?  I mean they put you in ballet right?” he said. I thought back at how I had begged for dance classes, and when they gave them to me I was so happy. Unfortunately the next year they enrolled me in advanced math and that took most of my time so any other formal lessons were out of the question.

                “They brought me here to be a business student, not dance.”

                “Why not? It’s just on your free time.” He goaded me. “come on, at least come to auditions.”

                “well…” I thought, how long could this take? I mean, I would be here at Seoul for a while…and my parents would only visit on holidays…they wouldn’t have to know. Plus, there really wasn’t any chance of me winning, so why would I have to worry. It could be just for fun…

                “Okay, Jonghyun-eh. I’ll join….” I shrugged. He gave me a thumb up.

                “Yes!! Finally! I won’t be stuck with a bunch of guys in my video! There might be a hot girl!” he said, punching the air in an excited manner. My fuse went off.

                “habo!!! You used me!! I can’t believe I tought the Famous Jonghyun actually thought I was a good dancer! Anyoo!!!” I grabbed the flyer from his hand, rolled it up, and began thwacking him across the head.

                “naega!! pogi jabi(mercy! I give up!!)!!!!” He laughed, covering his head. He grabbed me by the wrist and gave me a fake glare.

                “You’re not suppose to hit super stars like that, Eun Mi-eh!” He said, then gave me a rather weird look. “you know, you’re not half that bad…I think we can become good friends. Call me ‘hyung’ from now on.”