Ch. : Trouble in Dresses

There Was Him, Then Me

Sitting at home with my cousin isn’t fun, especially not today. There she was staring me down in an attempt to break me. Usually my cousin isn’t this intense.

                “Are you going to tell me?” she smirked with a raised eyebrow.

                “No” was my clear and final statement. She laughed and picked up her cell phone.

                “Do you really want me to tell your parents about that little phone call? Something told me they wouldn’t be happy, hobo…” she chuckled as the blood drained from my face. You see, ladies and gentleman, the worst has happened…

                It was a normal Saturday except my cousin was actually home. She didn’t have work today and her schedule was clear, so that left some “bonding” time left over for us. Basically Haewan laid on the couch all day, watching me clean. That is until the phone rang.

                “Hello?” she answered. “Oh…no I think you got the wrong-…oh yea…ok…yea here.” She smirked and handed the phone to me. With a suspicious look, I took the phone and brought it slowly to my ear.

                “Hello?” I asked and a clear, male voice answered back.

                “Eun Mi-eh!! You made it!” Jonghyun laughed from the end of the phone. His voice hit me like a brick wall and I mentally face-palmed myself. “The judges said you were a shoe in for the exhibition round!”

                “Yea…Well, that’s awesome…” I said with a monotonous voice. “Listen, Jonghyun…I’ll call you back…” And without waiting for an answer, I hung up. My cousin smirked down at me.

“Oh you are in so much trouble, Eun Mi-eeeehhh…”  Haewon smiled menacingly.

 

                So that’s why I’m here now. Sitting across the room with my- oh- so sweet cousin in front of me looking as smug as if she had caught me stealing.  I finally gave in.

                “I entered a dance competition. If I win, I get to be in a music video and some prize money.” I said in a flat tone, glaring at my cousin. She snickered.

                “Something tells me that you don’t want your parents to know your little adventures, right? Aunty and Uncle seem to have different plans for you in the future that don’t involve music or dance.
 Haewon played with a lock of her smooth, black hair then got to her feet. “So I’ll tell you what: I’ll keep your little secret-“

                “What’s the catch?” I sighed, knowing too well what my cousin would do.

                “You have to clean and cook my food for the rest of the summer, as well as getting me an autograph from all of your little famous pals. Also, I get half of your prize money.” She said with a tilt of her head and a smile. I glared up at her, but I had no choice. If my parents found out I would be dead meat.

                Later that day, Jonghyun managed to hunt down where I live and came later that day to pick me up. Haewon’s face was priceless when she opened the door and saw Jonghyun standing there with his shiny new car and his outfit that probably cost him more than her apartment.

                “Eun Mi-eeehhh! I’ve come to get you, Cinderella. “He called from the doorway. I glanced up with an annoyed look. The nickname did fit at this moment, I guess, since he came right as I was dusting everything in the house with my apron on and handkerchief tied in my hair. Without asking, he stepped in the house and took me by the hand.

                “Come on, we have to leave now.” He said, dragging me to his car. He turned back to Haewon. “Oh I’m sorry. I’m one of Eun Mi’s friends I’ll bring her back in a few hours! Bye!”

                Jonghyun and I arrived at the biggest mall in all of Seoul. It was three stories tall and rich-looking people walked in and out of it, carrying arm loads of baggage.

                “Jonghyun, what are we doing here?” I asked him, feeling dingy in my faded jeans and baggy t-shirt. He smiled at me and patted my head.

                “We’re updating your wardrobe. And to help us with that is my good friend-“

                “Jonghyun! Is this the girl?” The Diva himself, Key Kibum, came running up to us. Jonghyun smiled and grabbed Key into a side hug.

                “Hey, Key! This is my friend, Eun Mi.” Jonghyun introduce us. Key smiled but then a skeptical look came across his face as he saw my outfit.

                “This is gonna take a lot of work…” he sighed and dragged me into the mall, Jonghyun running to keep up.

                The next hour was a constant blur of stores and fabrics. Before the hour ended, I already had my arms full of clothes and different accessories all courtesy of Jonghyun and Key.

                “Okay so the next store we go to, you’re going to find clothes to wear right now.” Jonghyun smiled at me.

                “Right now? Why right now?” I asked, puzzled by why I had to switch my outfits.

                “Well, we’re having a little get together today and I wanted you to come along with me and Key, right Key?” Jonghyun smiled.

                “What?” Key said, looking up from his cellphone. “oh right. Okay here’s the store.” Key pointed at a store called Julliete’s Closet. Key and Jonghyun immediately started looking through the dresses. To be honest, all the dresses were gorgeous. It felt like I entered into the world of Ruffles, Sparkles, and Gems.

                “Is the party really going to be this formal?” I asked, looking at the mask on the counter.

                “well, it’s kind of a masquerade party. It’s only semi-formal though.” Jonghyun answered.

                “Less talky, more trying on these clothes.” Key tossed me three very beautiful dresses. I went into the dressing room.

                I tried on dress after dress, each one earning some bad comment from Key and a weird look from Jonghyun. Finally, I got on a pretty, white and blue dress. The top half of the dress dropped into a scoop neck and was made of white lace, while the lower half was made of midnight blue silk and a matching bow synched at my waist. Jonghyun’s mouth fell  gap and Key smiled in victory.

                “That’s the dress!!” He smiled.