Ch. 3: Time to Dance?

There Was Him, Then Me

It had been a week before I officially met Jonghyun again. And when I met him, I wished it had been under different circumstances…

                “Next up, Kim Hyun, age 23.” One of the judges called and the man in front of me went up. His music, Heartbreaker from G-Dragon, came on and he performed his rather impressive dance routine. I gulped and heaved a big sigh, looking down at my number, 246. I was the last contestant. Crap, Jonghyun! I was determined to pay him back for this the next time we could hang out…

                “Thank you.” the judge said and waved his hand to dismiss the man. With a bow he walked up stage.

                “Next, Park Eun Mi, age 19.” Another judge called. My heart pounded against my chest and I was frozen on the spot till someone gently nudged me from behind. I walked on stage and took a small bow. My thoughts became jumbled as I waited for my music to start playing. What if this went terribly wrong and I’d make a fool of myself? They’ll laugh at me for sure…

                My imagination was interrupted by the sound of the studio doors opening and closing. My head shot up and I squinted, since the stage lights were blurring my vision. I could make out a group of people heading down the long isle.

                “SHINee? Muah? What are you guys doing here?” One of the judges asked. So the group was SHINee? As they came closer, I could only make out the face of Jonghyun.

                “Well we thought we’d drop by to see the performance.” One spoke up. The judge looked at his watch.

                “So you decided to show up…about three hours late and see the very last performance...?” he gave a chuckle. “Isn’t that just like you boys!”

                “You know us well, Manager-nim.” Jonghyun laughed. They gathered in the second row away from the front. From the corner of my eye I saw Jonghyun gave me a thumbs up, but at that point my focus was on something I found much more terrifying then being up here on stage. Him…

                By the looks of it, he didn’t recognize me. How did I forget?! Jonghyun is in SHINee along with him!! I could’ve mentally slapped myself for being so naïve. I wouldn’t have recognized him either if it wasn’t for his face. His hair was entirely different then the sleek, dark hair I knew. It was fluffy and blonde…Taemin had changed…

                Before I could think, the song came on. I had picked Miss A’s Bad Girl Good Girl. I took a deep breathe and started dancing, soon slipping out of reality and closing my eyes if only for the sake of my routine. I was actually surprised that I even managed to incorporate what little ballet I did know. The song soon came to a close and I ended with a kneeling slide to the edge of the stage. 

                I in a breathe as I opened my eyes again, the stage lights blurring my vision again as a couple drops of sweat slid down from my forehead. I quickly got up and looked at the judges who were finishing writing whatever it is they write on their clipboards. There was clapping coming from the SHINee group. The loudest was Jonghyun, he even stood up. I brought up the courage to look at Taemin, who was staring at me, mouth slightly agape.

                “Thank you.” One of the judges finally spoke up and waved his hand to dismiss me.  I practically ran off stage. My face felt hot as I picked up the tiny duffle bag I had brought along. Just as I was about to leave the building, my foot caught on something and I tripped.

                “Silly Eun Mi-eh! “ I heard Jonghyun laugh. He held out his hand and I took it, standing up. He patted my back “That was pretty cool by the way. You were the best one!”

                “That’s because I was the only one you saw…” I pointed out, punching him on the shoulder. He smiled and scratched the back of his neck.

                “Eun Mi…?” A voice said from the door way. When I looked up my smile fell and I let out an awfully loud gulp…