ch. 11: I hate Kimchichagae

There Was Him, Then Me

 

“Eun Mi?” My mother’s voice broke into my thoughts.

                “Yes, Umma?”

                “You really should have better attention schools, darling. How do you expect to run a business when you’re dazing off like that?” Her tone was like she was speaking to a child. I loved my umma but it annoyed me when she did that.

                “You’re right, mother.” I said to her, sighing out. My parents said something to each other that I couldn’t hear.

                “Eun Mi? Are you alright? You’ve been rather distant lately…” My father spoke up. I looked at them and smiled.

                “Yea? I’m sorry. I think I’m just hungry. I haven’t had any of mom’s cooking since I left our district.” I said, trying to make up an excuse.

                “oh is that all?” My mother smiled. “Well, me and your father will go to the store and buy you your favorite! Kimchichigae(spicy kimchi stew)”  My mother jumped up and pulled my father to the door.

                “We’ll be back before 18:45.” My father called out before being hauled out of the apartment. When the door shut, I put my head in my hands. My favorite food wasn’t kimchichigae… But that wasn’t the thing that bothered me. Since my parents came to visit, I’ve noticed myself slipping into the old habits. I did whatever my parents told me to and I never said a word when I didn’t agree with them. Taemin was right…I acted like a child around my parents and they treat me just like one. I shook my head and let out a groan. Interrupting my pity party was a ring on my phone.

                “Hello?” I said when I picked it up.

                “Eun Mi? This is Key- shhhh shut up, Habo!” It sounded like someone was talking in the background.

                “Key? Key where have you guys been? I haven’t heard from you in weeks…”I said in a monotone voice. I didn’t want to seem angry or sad about it.

                “Listen, Jon- I have something important to tell you. –Jonghyun Shut Up!” Key shouted on the other line. Jonghyun was there? “Listen, the last contestant was caught cheating! The last one to make it.”

                “So? They only play with four contestants then.”

                “No…It means you get a second chance! You’re runner up!” Key exclaimed. My heart skipped a beat. Second chance…?

                “Don’t just stay silent, Habo! Be excited! You’re back on!” Key laughed.

                “R-really?” Was all I could say. I was stunned. I was excited. I had it. I’d win it!

                “Yes! The next competition is exactly two weeks away. The next meeting to discuss the rules is tomorrow.” Key said.

                “Tomorrow…?” Tomorrow was the festival… My parent’s definitely wouldn’t let me skip…But what if I couldn’t go…

                “Eun Mi-eh? Is something wrong?” Key’s voice broke through my plan.

                “Huh? No nothings wrong…I’m excited about it! Thanks, Hyung!” I said. Key told me what few details he knew before hanging up. My parents came home after half an hour at the store with arm fulls of food. My mother made the stew and we sat down to eat.

                “Ah, Umma…” I started, taking another forced bite from my stew.

                “Yes, Eun Mi?”

                “I got a call from my school today…” I told her, my heart almost beating out of my chest. I haven’t lied to my parents’ faces before.

                “Really? What did they say?” My father asked, looking at me.

                “Well…I have a meeting tomorrow at noon.” I lied. “It’s mandatory. For all incoming first years. Just to let them know what to expect and such.”

                “Don’t speak in fragments, dear, it really doesn’t make a business owner look good to speak in fragments.” My mother interrupted. I sighed.

                “Well, it looks like we have to cancel our plans for the festival.” My father stated.

                “Well, you two…you two should go.” I started. “I won’t be around anyway and the meeting will take awhile. You two have fun and if I get off early, I’ll meet you guys over there…”

                “That solves that then, right Honey?” My mother cooed at my father.

                “Are you sure? Maybe we can go with you.” My father offered.

                “I’m a college student, appa.” I smiled.  I’m not sure if I felt proud of myself or horrible that I was becoming good at lying.

                “That’s true.” My father smiled. “I should start treating you as an adult.”

                I smiled and continued to eat. I settled that I was proud of my lie.