Ch.9 Attempts

There Was Him, Then Me

 

The SHINee boys had wondered where I had gone off that day, but I just used the excuse that I was sick. Jonghyun insisted on coming over more, but his schedule as of late wouldn’t allow it. I did get an email from the competition meanwhile explaining our next task: perform an entirely new dance for any of SHINee’s music videos.

Tonight I was to head over to the studio where the competition was to be held to pick out a song. I was already off to a bad start, running late because my cousin had me do laundry before I could go. By the time I reached the studio, the other contestants had already chosen. There was only one song left: Amigo.

I put my name and contestant number next to the song. I sighed. It’s not exactly what I had been hoping for but I had no choice. That night I watched the original music video and dance as well as other completely different dances. I tried to come up with a totally different dance then the original music video, only using one key dance move from it. My version was going to be more of a girly dance mixed with a few of the original dance moves but also adding a new touch of, well to put it frank, y. I practiced whenever I could after that, using the studio I still worked at to practice.

My boss and Min were both very supportive when I arrived to work that Monday, saying how the attention would encourage dancers to go to their studio and even offered to sponsor me. As I practiced, it seemed the SHINee boys had just disappeared. I still got text from Jonghyun, but that seemed like all he would do. As much as I hated to admit it, I missed the meathead.  

*Riiiiiinnnnnggg* I jumped up at the sound of the alarm. It was time to get ready…I showered and dressed. There were only a handful of twenty contestants left and after today, there would only be five. That’s when the competition would get harder because there was only one more dance off with the remaining five contestants and it would be judged by a live audience. What have I gotten myself into?

I arrived as one of the first contestants to get there. My heart was already racing. Why should this matter? Wasn’t this just for fun? But I was doing it…I was making it as a dancer. I just had to pass this test. I just had to…not puke…I rushed to the restroom as I felt my stomach do a painful churn. I stood in a stall for a good ten minutes, dry heaving. Ugh, this was gross… After a while, I calmed down and my stomach felt better. I washed my face with cold water and was going to step out when I heard a familiar voice speaking.

“…Yea I know! Aren’t I a genius?” Ae Chae’s voice spoke from outside the door. I pressed my ear against it. Perhaps I should know better than to spy but at the moment I didn’t care. 

“It’s not fair, Ae Chae!” Another familiar voice. Jonghyun? “It’s not right to her or us!”

“Don’t worry, Jonghyun-hyung. In the end, it’ll be better for everyone! I mean without Eun Mi, your reputations won’t be trashed.”

“You mean you won’t have to worry about Taemin getting away from you…” I heard Key’s voice state in a bitter tone.

SLAP!

I could hear the sound through the door.

“Horo!” Key said in a rather intimidating growl. “I’m not letting you get what you want…I don’t care anymore!”

“Key’s right, Ae Chae.” Jonghyun butted in. “We won’t let you get away with anything you’ve tried to do…”

“Well if you want her to stand a chance at winning then you will…” Ae Chae stated in an ice cold tone. I’ve had enough.

                “Listen, you ice cold witch…” I said, pushing the door open and getting in her face. I heard her let out a slight gasp but her glare returned soon after. “You are not allowed to touch my friends like that again…”

                She chuckled wickedly. Key and Jonghyun stood silent.

                “Oh, you heard all of that? Well, it’s none of my concern. You’ll be gone soon…”

                “Oh please, don’t test me. You don’t scare me, Ae Chae…” I said through gritted teeth.

                “I could get you thrown out of this entire competition so I’d watch what you say…” She spat in my face.

                “Bring it…” I growled back. She looked at me for a couple more seconds then walked away. That felt good…

                Key and Jonghyun smiled and patted me on the back. “Woah! You have a back bone, Eun Mi- eh? Didn’t know you were so fierce?” They laughed and I felt immediately better. There was a stage call and I started to walk off.

                “You guys better explain all of this when I get back, okay?” I said and they both nodded.

                “Good luck!” They shouted and waved their hands. I stood on my place near the stage, waiting for my name to be called. While waiting, I felt a hand on my shoulder.

                “I know you can beat them…” Taemin’s voice whispered in my ear. I tried not to blush and didn’t look at him.

                “You are, by far, the best dancer her. You just need to find your heart again.” His silky smoothed voice said as he patted my back.

                “This is the first time you’ve spoken to me in awhile…” I whispered back, not ready to forgive him.  At least Jonghyun and Key texted me before.

                “Ae Chae…” He started.

                “Ae Chae is a problem, but Jonghyun and Key made an effort. You didn’t” I said, sighing. “Well, thanks anyway…”

                “Sure…” He said. I felt a bit bad.

                “Sorry…I’m just-” I started.

                “Contestant 4, Park Eun Mi.” The judges called. I sighed and patted Taemin’s shoulder before heading onto stage. A blinding bright light greeted me and I could barely see the judges faces. One of them spoke for the others.

                “The rules here are 1) dance.” The judge, who was a girl, joked. “ 2) Don’t mess up. Each mistake will cost you ten points from your total score. 3) No matter what…keep on dancing.”

                Somehow, looking back, I find that last rule ironic…

                The music started to play. I started to dance. The motions were as fluid as I wanted them to be. Each movement was perfect. I was actually feeling confident until…

                Sanso gateun neo

                Nan neoman deuriswimyen

                Love Like Oxygen wasn’t my song! I stumbled a bit. This must be Ae Chae’s doing… I continued to dance, picking up the beat rather quickly and incorporating more dance moves. Hopefully the judges didn’t notice.

                Niga nareul itji motage jakun ni apeseo tto

                Trouble Maker wasn’t even a SHINee song! I wanted to exclaim but went along with it and danced. I tried my best, even adding some ballet and a bit of Michael Jackson style to the dance. At the end, the judges were silent. What was I supposed to do…