There Was Him, Then Me (the After-story) Chapter 1

There Was Him, Then Me

        “Don’t worry mama, appa.” I hugged my parents, feeling a tug of sadness on my heart. My father gave me a sad smile and held out a shiny, metallic looking card.

        “Use it wisely, Eun Mi.” He said, ruffling my hair. My hands held up the new credit card. I’ve never owned one for myself before and it was a strange feeling to have the responsibility. My mother gave me one last hug, her eyes red and puffy while the tears streamed down her face. This would be the longest time I’ve spent apart from my parents and none of us were very fond of good-byes. After a minute or two passed, my father led my mother onto the train by the shoulder.

        I waved good-bye and went to go stand by cousin, Haewan. She would be my guardian as I attended a trade school for business out here in Seoul (which was exactly 321.8688km from my own house).

        So here I was looking at my cousin with a rather blank stare. “What you lookin’ at, habo…?” she said, taking off her slim, purple glasses. It was a hot summer and she was dressed in rather short shorts and a white peasant blouse. With a sigh she said, “Well, now hurry up. I don’t wanna miss my drama and I have homework to finish.”

        She hauled some of my luggage to her car as I hustled after her. Once we got on the road I realized my cousin wasn’t exactly the most cautious driver. Many sharp turns and confusing twist were mad; a relief spread over my body as she parked in her designated area. Her apartment wasn’t too shabby. It was horribly under-furnished, with only a couch and a TV standing in the living room. The kitchen was just a small walk-in and there were two separate bedrooms, both rather small. It was perfect for just two people though. I settled in rather quickly and went to join my aunt at the small kitchen table. She had put her ipod on an adapter and played Pandora. Fate would have it that just at that moment the song A-yo by SHINee. I guess I made a face since Haewan looked at me strangely.

        “What’s the matter, kid? Don’t like them? I thought they were the 'heart throb' of every girl your age.” She smirked and I shook my head.

        “Anyo…They’re good…” I said as my mind began wondering. Memories filled my head. His smooth voice sang out clear in the chorus. The dark brown eyes and black hair of Lee Taemin was still vivid in my memory and I could feel a smile spreading across my lips as I remembered his lips against mine. But sadness filled me when the scene of him breaking up with me re-appeared.

        “Well, you know they live in our part of Seoul right? They just came back from a tour in Japan. “She said, absent-mindedly. She was already starting on her homework. I went back into my room and lied down on the rather tough bed. Taemin was living so close to me…Well, I’d have to do my best to avoid him then…