Chapter 8

Closed In

 

Glass shards flew everywhere, a few cut my arms – but not deep – so amazingly, I didn’t get too hurt. I looked over at Jjong, as the dust cleared, I saw he had a cut on his jaw, and a few other places, but like me, he was relatively fine. He looked down at me.

“You okay?” I nodded turning my head to the now, blown up wall. My eyes widened as I realized what was going on.

“Is everyone okay?” a man called, I stood up, pulling Jjong with me, my knees shaking slightly from shock.

“More or less, yeah.” Jjong said stepping towards the opening in the wall – away from me. I reached my arm out and grabbed hole of one of his sleeves, tugging on it. He turned his head, and he face fell slightly. I stood there staring at him; I must have looked like a lost child or something. I was way too scared to move and my knees were still shaking. He removed my hand from his sleeve and held it, pulling me to his side.

“It’s fine. Everything’s okay now.” He whispered into my ear, I nodded.

“Uhhh… how are we… I mean…” I couldn’t seem to get words to make sense anymore, to be quite honest, this was one weird situation. Being trapped in an elevator, then having the wall explode and now… well I don’t know what the I’m supposed to do. I leaned forward a bit to stare at the gap between us and the scaffold. Oh my god. I took a step back, clutching onto Jjong’s arm, digging my nails into his skin.

 “We’re going to get you guys over here,  then we’re just going to ride up to the second floor – we didn’t want to close off the main floor, so we moved to the second.” I nodded, understanding.

“Okay, Kibum’s getting on first then.” I turned my head to look at him, eyes wide, mouth hanging open.

“W-what?” he shook his head at me.

“Non-negotiable.” I gulped again and looked back to the gap – that now seemed even bigger. I tensed noticeably; digging my nail father into his arm, shaking my head violently from side to die, causing Jjong to rub small circles on the small of my back, comforting me – or trying too.

“Okay, I need you to step back so I can get on and help you over” I did as I was told and watch one of three men fiddle with something before he opened a gate and more-or-less jumped onto the elevator. He smiled at me with what I was assuming to be a comforting expression. He motioned for me to come to the edge where he was, but I didn’t move.

“Kibum. Stop this, go.” Jjong pulled his arm away from me and pushed me forward towards the man. I regained my balance and stared down again at the gap. I gulped and look to the man worry clear on my face.

“Don’t worry – Kibum, was it? It’s fine, super easy, really not that bad at all – just… don’t look down.” I blinked – that was supposed to make me feel better? Pfft. Yeah, okay.

“Okay, let’s do this.” I said, taking a deep breath and looking up to meet the still-nameless-man’s eyes. He smiled reassuringly and extended a hand out towards me. I took it, and he put and hand on my back – more around my waist – and walked me right to the very edge of the hole they created. I looked down, instantly regretting it, and squeezed my eyes shut. When I opened them, I focused on the guy on the scaffolding; he also had an arm stretched out.

Seeing him right it from of me made me realize that it wasn’t that big of a gap. I smiled inwardly and reached a hand out, taking hold of his, slowly moving away from the hand that was still on my back. The other guy moved back as I moved forward and pulled me onto the scaffold. When my feet were planted firmly on its floor, I smiled and stood up straight, turning back to the elevator, watching Jjong get reading to come over too.

He looked up at me and I smiled wider, giving him a thumbs-up. He smiled and stopped paying attention to the guy that was helping him on his side, and reached to grabbed the other’s hand, keeping his eyes on me the whole time. He got on much quicker than I had, and soon enough, we were standing in the corner of the scaffold, slowly getting brought higher and higher up the elevator shaft.

He faced me and s his arms around my waist, tugging my forward until I was pressed against him chest, where I placed my palms. Our lips brushed against each other’s as we spoke in soft whispers.

“You know when he put his hand on your back I wanted to snap his wrist.” I smirked against his lips.

“Why? He was just helping.”  He moved a millimeter closer, almost kissing me, but not. This was starting to frustrate me; I really wanted to smash my lips against his, I just wanted to taste them, he was taunting me.

“It just made me realize how much I really love you – it was just a hand, from a guy we don’t even know, in a situation like this, but it still made me mad. I love you Kibum.” That was the last straw. I pushed against him, forcing our lips together.

He kissed me back slowly, sweetly. I moved my hands from his chest to around his neck, tugging him even closer. I nearly forgot where we were and what we were doing until Jjong pulled away rather abruptly, turning me around so my back was pressed against him. I looked up and over at him, my brows knitted together in confusion – until I saw his pointed stare and slight blush, causing me to follow his gaze leading me to see three rather uncomfortable looking men obviously shifting and scratching their necks, avoiding our eyes.

I joined Jjong in his blush and turned around again hiding my face against his neck, silently wishing that this stupid thing would move faster.

---

“Oh my god! Kibum-hyung! Jonghyun-hyung!” I heard Taemin’s voice echo through the shaft as we finally pulled up to the open second floor’s elevator door. I smiled and waved at him excitedly, moving away from Jonghyun to get to the gate that would let me out and onto solid ground once again.

One of the men stepped forward and unlocked the gate. As soon as the hinges moved the slightest bit, I burst through the taking a wide step to get to where Taemin, Minho and Jinki were standing.

I squealed and jumped up and down whilst being trapped in a hugged by Taemin. I let go and threw my arms around Jinki, he squeezed me then let me go. I turned to Minho who picked me up and spun me around, hugging me tightly.

“We were so worried.” He said into my ear. I nodded, fighting back tears.

“Are you okay?” I asked as he put me down, I started to turning his head side to side, moving his arms up and down, looking for any sign of an injuring. “Are you hurt? Were you okay?” He chuckled and pulled my hands away from him, looking at me in the eyes and nodding.

“I’m fine. Don’t worry,” he stepped closer again, about to give me another hugged when I was suddenly pulled backwards harshly.

“Hey, let’s not get carried away here.” Jjong said; a hint of jealously in his voice – though I’m sure only I could tell. Minho looked confused, but nodded anyway. I sighed and turned to go back to Taemin. I patted Jjong arm as I went.

“Lighten up honey, don’t want anyone to catch on now, do we?” I let my voice , casting a smirk, and a knowing glance as I passed him. He narrowed his gaze and scoffed.

“Don’t tempt me then.”