Chapter 1

Closed In

 

I made my over to stand next to Jonghyun, and leaned against the railing that was behind us. I closed my eyes again and let the conversation Minho and Jjong were having fade into background noise. The doors shut and the elevator began its steady pull upwards. I was in that odd state of being awake, where you’re half asleep but are still aware of your surroundings, when I felt the railing shake. I snapped my eyes open and stared at myself in the mirrored wall across from me.

I focused for a second on nothing but the elevator. I heard it then. An off sound, that sent my mind into overdrive. My eyes began to inspect every corner of the lift until the finally landed on the door. Nothing seemed out of place until I focused on the space where the two doors met. They were slightly opening and closing. I looked up at the ceiling and heard the sound again, only louder. It was like something was sapping, and then falling onto the roof. I lowered my gaze to check to see if the others noticed. They carried on with their conversation as if nothing was happening. I was about to open my mouth when I heard another sound above us.

I flipped myself over in front of Jjong, positioning myself in between his legs. I locked him in by grabbing onto the railing by his sides.

“K-Kibum?” he called out in a worried tone.

“Hold me Jonghyun.” I said flatly.

“What?”

“Hold me.” I repeated with more force. He hesitated for a second, but wrapped his arms around my waist.

“Tighter,” I commanded, he did as he was told.

“Minho, hold onto the railing.” I called over my shoulder. He looked at me strangly.

“But why-?”

“Just do it!” I yelled. I pressed myself to Jonghyun, placing my head onto his shoulder and bracing for what was about to happen.

Tighter,” I pleaded into his ear quietly.

Suddenly the whole elevator shook violently, Jjong’s grip tightened again, as did my grip on the railing. The room echoed with what sounded like screeching breaks and falling metal. A sudden jolt sent us tumbling into the wall next to us, placing Jjong in front of me. He copied my motions and gripped the railing, making me unable to move around. I clung to him as if my life depended on it and hid my face in his chest.

The lift shook as we changed directions and started to plummet down the shaft. I felt tears roll over my cheeks as the possibility of death crept into my mind. The only sound to be heard was the constant quake the elevator made. I dug my nails into Jjong’s back and braced for the worst. The jagged motions the lift was doing are hard to explain, but try to imagine yourself inside one of those martini shakers. That’s a good comparison.

Something smashed into the roof; I looked up and saw that whatever it was, it was moving fast as we were, because it made a huge indent. Another screech sounded and suddenly, we stopped.