corn flat white

Barista Boy

'Brr, it's so ing cold...' spoke Jongdae the moment his eyes immediately due to the coldness of the room he's at. It was still dark outside as he can see it slipping from the gaps of the thick bamboo sticks that made up the walls of the house. He was all alone as his hands try to feel the person beside him, but Minseok was nowhere to be seen. Curious, lost and scared----one of the worst emotional combinations I've ever written---he went out of the room to find him.

The living room was incredibly silent, where he could only hear the soft raindrops of their metal roof, along with the sounds he could hardly identify. But there was a sound of the grass being stepped on by a person, making him move towards that door where the sound was at. To his surprise, it was unlocked. Maybe he went out, he absentmindedly thought as he opened it.

The reaction from Minseok's parents were not so different with his sister's, and that they can't believe that he, a grown man with a common sense, would let a total stranger in their house without no doubt. Jongdae was bewildered when he replied 'I can sense he is no shady person...He is rather a lost soul, so I have no doubts.' when asked on Jongdae of having the possibility of being a runaway criminal or being a rebel. Jongdae himself was even on his parents' side, but Minseok did not flinch.

City boy thought country boy was choosing him to become his monk apprentice.

He let out a little  the moment the freezing breeze touched his bare skin. He managed to get a jacket in his own getaway, and damn, it sure is cold in the dawn whenever one's in the countryside. He looked around the surroundings; there were full of trees wet from the rain, along with the chicken coop, the big cemented room where Minseok roasts something, the storage room for the grains (according to Minseok's parents), and Minseok pushing a huge blue cart.

He widened his eyes. Minseok is pushing a huge blue cart?!

'Hey!' The tiny, jacket-clad man looked to the door of his house and saw the city boy waving his hand while trying his best to not to look like he's been freezing to death. Holding his laughter, he waved back, asking; 'What's with you? Shouldn't you be asleep?'

'It's so ing cold,' He replied, inserting his hand on the pockets of his jacket. 'Can I go there...?'

'Why?'

'You seem busy, and I can't sleep at this point... But it's okay if you don't...' Jongdae rambled, constantly finding his way to speak before being possessed. '...unless?'

'Yeah, you can.' replied Minseok in between giggles, before welcoming him with his big brotherly arms. Jongdae felt like he was being choked by these questionably big brotherly arms, but he was able to breathe after a second when he finally pulled away. He then moved his eyes to see the contents of the cart. There sat his stove, his thermos, his big bag (that looked like a sack) of roasted corn that's been powdered to coffee, paper cups and a bunch of metal spoons. 'What are you going to do with these, Minseok-hyung?'

'It sounds odd hearing you saying hyung to me,' he replied as they started to walk down the cemented road. 'But anyways, I'll be selling corn coffee at the bus terminal.'

'You sell corn as a coffee? I thought it was just plain coffee....'

'Hey, I thought you'll stop me since I'm now hired by you.'

'Ah! I wanted t-to see you do your job so...' The amount of bewilderness and wonder that was on Jongdae's curiosity became Minseok's own form of entertainment, and that this kind of innocent curiosity made him feel like he's raising another Minsoo in the house. Without thinking (and context), he patted the rough fluff of hair that was on the city boy's head, making the boy blink twice before looking at him. 'What was that?'

Minseok smiled. 'Nothing.'


The bus terminal that the country boy was talking about has an already existing and imagined structure in the city boy's mind despite the trauma he experienced being humiliated by his own actions, but the moment he took his first step, his imagination was broken.

'I....Isn't this a haunting ground?' was his first question to Minseok the moment he looked around. There are full of buses going in and out silently, and are only opening to have a few peopler going down the small staircase. It wasn't the lively, crowded terminal that he went to a few hours ago, but rather it was dead, scant and even scary for him. There were a few people around, and that they were mostly composed of drivers and conductors waiting for Minseok to come. They were sitting on those benches, talking and gossiping before moving their eyes to see the small man moving his cart towards them. Their faces lit up upon seeing the cute Corn Coffee Minseokkie, but they later went down when they moved to see the city boy that was rude a few hours earlier.

The prejudice! Jongdae screamed mentally.

He tried to brush off and ignore the angry stares that were starting to drill holes in his head, and proceeded to be helpful to their beloved Minseokkie, which earned him the title of being audacious. To his surprise, a newly brewed cup of corn coffee was handed to him by the smiling country boy, making him confused. 'I..what's this, hyung?'

'You said you were cold, right?' he replied whilst continuing to do his duty. 'So I made you the first brew. I hope you like it.'

'I surely will.' The angry stares were already transformed to murderous ones, and he could only reply it with a smile as he fwlt victorious. Holding the cup of coffee while waiting it to be warm enough to drink, Jongdae sat down on one of the benches and watched his big brotherly Minseok do his job. To his surprise, one of the people who's been waiting---a bus driver--- sat beside him with another newly blended cup, and looked at the boy with awe and wonder. 'You're so lucky, you city boy.'

'Why?'

'You know,' The driver shifted closer to him. 'The first coffee he'll make would be always for himself. That means that maybe you're special to him.'

Hearing that secret information almost made him lose hold of the cup. Shocked, bewildered, surprised, stunned---whatever word you put in there---HE IS SHOCKED! No wonder why those people immediately went from angry to murder.

While in the middle of his daydreams, the driver added, 'Or maybe you're under his mercy because you're feeling cold.'

But the second statement had no effect. Jongdae was still in the state of shock; still dazed but not confused. With a little smile appearing on his lips, he finally realised that it's the right time to take a sip of the corn coffee.

'It's so ing good.'