corn coffee arabica

Barista Boy

'Young master...'

'Huh?'

'Wake up, young master...'

'Hngg...'

'Young master!'

'Why... are you here?'

In a very cold, yet bright Saturday morning, Kim Jongdae was greeted by a very stoic, very stiff Zhang Yixing, who was apparently sitting in a very formal position next to him.

It wasn't boy's father that sent him to the village, but rather it was his own volition that made him appear right in front his eyes, making him see the nightmare of having his dad's boyfriend sitting right next to him while he slept.

The night before this surprising incident happened was a very fascinating one. Rather than a day, it was rather a week. It was a week with Jongdae pondering deeply about his own self, as if he was having the time to philosophize about himself, or think about his own embodiment.

The question that made him wonder for a whole week was is Minseok interested in me or am I the one interested in him?

That simple question was further complicated by his ery, and that ever since he received the first coffee that Minseok made, he became aware of him.

The tiniest reactions; the simpliest words or the subtlest gestures were further etched on his mind as he became aware to the point that he clearly forgot that he got a cheater to chase. Minseok was all over his mind that he went frenzy and just continued spacing out.

'Jongdae-ssi?' asked Mrs. Kim once when they were eating lunch without Minseok, who was in his usual shift in roasting corn. Our boy did not answer, yet instead looked in to the blank space as if nothing is important and life is hell. She continued calling him before waving her hand in front, finally catching his attention. He blinked for a few times before raising his eyebrows with a little 'Hm' coming out from his mouth.

'Don't you like our lunch?'

'Lunch?'

'Yeah...' She pointed at the food in front of them. 'Lunch.'

'Oh.' He replied before starting to eat, making Mrs. Kim bewildered at his sudden action (and realization). After a few munching, he suddenly asked, 'What does Minseok-hyung like?'

Everyone with him looked at him, more bewildered.

'He likes coffee...' was the awkward reply of Mr. Kim, whose piece of food fell from the grip of his chopsticks. Mrs. Kim said nothing, but Minsoo straightforwardly asked, 'Do you like him, hyung?'

'Ah, no.' He replied flatly, shaking off his hand in rejection. 'Just wondering.'

After munching his own bowl of food, Jongdae immediately stood up from his seat and went off, leaving the family in total awkwardness as they saw the stranger that was suddenly bought by Minseok move away. They met each other's gazes and had a unspoken agreement between them.

Jongdae likes Minseok. He's just unaware of it.

The other side of the party, however has a definite answer on the question Jongdae asked to himself.

And it was yes.

Minseok is very interested in him. He's just silent about it.

There were some times where he gestured, but the you-know-what thing with Jongdae as an airhead, it would be just passed off as an hyung worried for the dongsaeng-like stranger by him. So he just kept silent about it. But there was one problem that he couldn't solve no matter how he'd cry about it.

His heart won't stop beating profusely whenever he meets his eyes.

Those eyes that were curved in perfection, along with the brownness of his that was so similar to the coffee he's brewing, and then those long lashes that flutters the dirt and his heart---on god was Kim Minseok so in love with Kim Jongdae. He wanted to continue his rambling about his face, but he thought thinking about Jongdae's features further down would make his mind explode and mess up his tempo.

Thinking about the stranger as usual, the coffee maker was in his tiny work station as he was waiting for the wood to fire up completely. He then checked the beans in the bag he set aside, checking if there were something wrong with it, but somehow, checking the condition of the beans vanished as the memory from last time suddenly popped in his head.

He overheard the driver talking to Jongdae how he was special because he was given the first coffee. Remembering that, his eyes went wide and he felt his blood rush on his face, making him crouch and mess his hair in embarrassment.

Kim Minseok! Why did you do that? Others have noticed, you fool! He kept screaming those words to himself, helplessly tormenting to the point he forgot that one thing that was recalled later on. As soon as it appeared, he was finally relieved. Oh, he is thickheaded. He would never thought of that as something, I guess.

Oh dear, he's wrong.

After that mental breakdown, Minseok continued doing what he loved to do, and whistled to love songs he heard on the radio as he started to roast the coffee beans. But that peaceful energy was ruined when he heard commotion outside. Curious, he went outside.

To the coffee maker's surprise, the ahjummas, ahjussis, and overall the gossipers of the village flocking around the huge window of their house with murmurs every minute. There was also a black expensive car parked near the entrance that made him think about what the is happening around the house. He immediately ran and went inside, only to see an unfamiliar man sit in the living room.

That man looked rich, judging from the black suit he is wearing. In front of the man was Jongdae, who looked like he was having a hard time as he was talking with words how he wanted to stay here for a while, or he wanted to have some time off for himself, or de-stress himself, but what really went to Minseok's mind was the single sentence he uttered after the paragraph-like reason coming from the stranger in their house.

'Young master, please remember you have an engagement to worry about.'

Minseok's eyes widened. He's....engaged?