corn coffee machiatto

Barista Boy

'Minseokkie, one cup please.'

'Coming right up!' He spoke with a huge grin on his face, along with smoke coming out of his face. It was 2 in the morning and Minseok already had his post ready for the dawn passengers to arrive. Safe to say, there are a plenty of buses that made a stop in the terminal he's at, thus the costumers who were either his village friends who followed him or the unfamiliar faces who wanted to warm themselves up. His corn coffee was a hit--he was well known as Corn Coffee Minseokkie by the terminal.

'Wow, you really have a good mix of coffee. Did you really make this?'

'Of course,' He replied while handling cups to costumers. 'I roast them in the morning.'

'So no sleep then? You look like 20 when you're almost 26.'

'No, I sleep afterwards.' He gave a laugh. Minseok was your ordinary boy living the country life--he roasts his corn and takes of the family cow to the field in the morning, and sells his famous coffee in the dawn. Ever since he saw people making coffee at tv shows, he dreamt of being one of them--a simple barista with a booming coffeeshop. He liked the smell of coffee--it's the lingering smell that made him a maniac for it. Blanca, white, dark, brown or three-in-one--name all you want, but Minseok would drink any flavor as long as there's coffee in it.

Hence he wanted to be a barista.

But seeing the reality in front of his eyes, it seemed impossible.

His shift ended by the time it was breakfast--it was all the same after all, the family cow was there eating the grass stored and no one was at home according to their neighbor, who gave him extra of the lunch they made. As usual, both of his parents were on the fields but his sister...

'Have you seen Minsoo? It's Saturday now.'

'Ah, she said she's going to Hyoyeon's.' Answered the neighbor as they were about to reach the door. 'They have a project to make there.'

'I see. Thank you!' He ate his breakfast and kept the lunch given for later. Drowsy, he went to bed in order to roast the corn to sell later.

Do you like rain or cherry blossoms falling?

I.... like you. I want... to marry you.

Minseok's eyes opened at the moment he heard those words--only to see his sister and classmate sitting in front of the television. 'What the was that?'

'Shhh, oppa.' She spoke, shutting him up with her hand without looking away. 'Today's the pilot episode of Kyungsoo's new drama!'

'Eh?' He looked at the television screen and raised his eyebrows. 'But those are kids?'

'Can you just go and roast corn?' Minsoo replied as she kept pushing him away. Her sister was an avid fan of Do Kyungsoo, who never missed his dramas on TV (except his movies, she'll only watch whenever they rent DVDs)--no wonder why she'll early.

'Don't you think you're being harsh to your brother?' asked Hyoyeon, whose eyebrows were raised in concern, making him laugh and pet his sister's hair. 'Opp--'

'It's actually okay.' He replied with a big smile. 'She's like this whenever I try to disturb her from watching her Kyungsoo. But when she's not, she's cute.'

Minseok's eyes looked up to the wall clock. It has been at least 3 hours since he slept, meaning he did not eat lunch. 'Did you eat lunch, Minsoo?'

'I ate at Hyo's already.' She replied, eyes still glued at the television screen. He ate his lunch while watching with his sister, who was annoyed with him making comments. A few hours before the night, he spent roasting his corn and preparing his ingredients--along with the cup of coffee in his hand.

At night, he fell asleep again, and woke up before one. In a household with all people are in slumber, he's the only one who is awake, fixing his little cart. The small man (who looked really cute being covered in jacket) would start pushing it from his home and would end up at the highway, with some of the villagers waiting outside, eyeing him to follow all the way to the terminal. It would take an hour for him to reach the terminal, with some of the drivers and passengers waiting in line for him.

It was only his name he heard the whole time selling, making him laugh. The first batch of buses arriving was heavy, making him worry if the stock would be little on later batches.

But he never expected that on the last batch, he'll meet someone who'll whoop his .

There were more than enough on the last batch of dawn passengers before morning starts, and he was quickly relieved by the results and compliments both from drivers and passengers. But there was one person he noticed that was strange.

Sitting far opposite from his stall was a man, who looked like it was his first time in the countryside. He wore tattered jeans, loose thin shirt, over a hat and a jacket with black sunglasses. He was pretty handsome, from what Minseok has seen along with his chiseled face and prominent cheekbones---and is also pretty shivering.

'Who's that guy?' he asked the nearby driver who bought his coffee. 'Ah, he's from Seoul. He looks like he's really from the city and doesn't know where he's going though. He could've taken the train but his chose to ride the bus.'

Both of them laughed at what the driver said earlier, only to make him surprise when he handed him coffee. 'What's this free coffee for? Is it for me?'

'No, it's for that guy.' He pointed with his lips. 'He looks like he's not used to this kind of environment.'

'Okay, okay.' He spoke as he stood up from his seat. 'You're too kind in this world, Minseokkie. I'm glad I met a coffeeboy like you.'

He only gave a smile as he watched him approach the man. Unexpectedly, he received the cup from his hands, making him smile even wider.

'Why are you giving this to me?' His smile dropped at the really unexpected behavior.

'No need to be rude, boy. You look... well, you're shivering. It's free of charge.'

As soon as he started sipping, Minseok continued serving people, only to raise his eyebrows when he heard him say, 'Who the made this coffee?'

'Where are your manners?! He gave yo--' The driver stopped talking as soon as the guy removed his glasses, only to meet his gaze. Standing from where he sat, he went closer to his cart, with a lightened face--it looked like he had an idea. 'Who the made the coffee?'

'Me?'

'Great. Be my barista, will you?'

'W...what?'