07. Disconnect

Lost Stars

 

Momo woke up first feeling a warm body under her arms. Her fever is already gone. Her half opened eyes travelled to the find the face of the girl who is sleeping soundly, lips slightly parted. Momo gulped at the sight. She knew Mina is strikingly beautiful but she hasn’t really looked at her features attentively. Her beauty marks were like constellations of stars and it’s pretty. Her plump and moist lips that Momo liked kissing. The older felt her heart suddenly beats hard. She leans forward feeling her breath against her. What am I thinking? Momo immediately sat up feeling the back of her neck burning. Is it because of the fever? She shrugged it off and stood up pulling the blanket to cover Mina’s entire body. It was still too early and Momo decided to go outside for a quick jog.

 

After more than an hour, Momo came back to her apartment with two cups of hot chocolate and a freshly baked bread. She put the take out in the table and went straight to the room to check if Mina was still sleeping. She didn’t knock and both of them jumped in surprise when Momo entered suddenly. Mina just finished taking a shower and she’s going to put on her shirt when Momo appeared. The younger immediately covered her exposed skin.

“I-I’m sorry, I thought you’re still sleeping, I’ll wait for you in the living room” Momo turned her back abruptly and went outside the room closing the door. She released a heavy sigh. Why am I becoming tensed? She felt her heart racing at the image as if it’s the first time she saw the younger half .

 

Mina went out of the bedroom wearing a loose T shirt of Momo. The older’s eyes were glued to Mina. Why does everything feel like the first time? Momo shook her head of the thought. Maybe she’s just still high on the medicine. Mina sat beside her in the couch and took the cup of hot chocolate that Momo bought.

“Hmmm… it’s good” Mina commented after sipping. Momo didn’t respond, she just kept on eating the bread.

“Are you feeling better?” Mina asked as she moved closer to Momo and touched her forehead. Feeling again the uneasiness, Momo jolts from the touch and swats Mina’s arm unintentionally. The younger was surprised by Momo’s reaction. She wanted to pretend she isn’t hurt by the remark. She leaned back at the couch.

“You should go home, I’m okay now” Momo sternly said as if wanting her to leave. Mina felt the words were like dagger stabbing her chest. Something’s not right, Momo’s acting weird. Have I done something that made her mad?

“O-okay, I’ll just change and leave” there is a hint of disappointment on the younger’s voice. She went to the room and after a few minutes, she went out and took her bag.

“I left your shirt in the bed, bye! See you at the practice on Monday” Mina bid goodbye and left the apartment without even hearing a single word from Momo. Maybe she woke up at the wrong side of the bed.

Right after the door shuts close, Momo slouched at the couch and breathed heavily like she hasn’t breathed the entire time Mina was there. Momo clutched her chest taming her pounding heart and feeling the heat searing up at the back of her ears. Maybe my fever hasn’t gone.

++

 

Only three days left until the start of the elimination games. Today, which is the last day, the group gathered on an intensive practice and Momo has been focusing the entire practice. Mina shouldn’t complain but she felt that Momo has been using the practice to avoid her. It was obvious Momo has been avoiding her, when she tried to talk or approach, Momo would simply say she’s busy or she has something to do after the practice. Mina tried her luck today since it was the last day for the training and they would be busier the next days.

Mina approached the older in an attempt to talk to her. Every day she felt that Momo is slowly drifting away from her. And it’s just unbearable. She went at the bleachers to talk to Momo who is resting after the vigorous practice.

“I see you’re busy but can we talk later after practice?” Mina said. Momo saw it coming, and it’s hard to avoid Mina all the time. “Okay, let’s meet at the storage room after” she finally gave in after the younger’s numerous attempts.

 

++

 

Everyone almost went home and Mina went to the storage room while Momo is still taking a shower at the locker room. She waited until Momo comes. She’s sitting at the floor leaning against the cabinet full of sports supplies. Her knees are tucked and her fingers are fidgeting, she doesn’t really know what to talk about, she just wanted spend time with the older like they used to. This place, we have lots of memories here. Mina thought while looking at the familiar room. The door clicked and a familiar figure caught the younger’s attention. Momo entered and closed the door behind her. The older sat beside her leaning her back against the metal cabinet.

“It’s been a while” Mina said, initiating the conversation. Momo hums in agreement trying to be as casual as she used to. Even though they are sitting together, she felt they are miles apart. What happened to us? This question is at the back of Mina’s mind, wanted to escape . I missed you. If only she could say that. She really missed her, they used to stick together, talk a lot, and make out. Yes, she missed Momo’s warmth. There are too many things Mina had missed. Silently enumerating them in her head until Momo suddenly speaks.

“Let’s end our agreement”

Four words. These four words felt like arrows struck in her chest, piercing through her heart. She knew what it meant, Momo wanted to end what they have. What they agreed before is now null and void. Like in a contract, if the other party opt to exclude herself in an agreement, the remaining party has no choice but to terminate the contract. She has no right to object. If Momo wanted to end it, then its final. Mina’s heart sank realizing what could happen. She could no longer concern herself with the older. She swallowed the big lump in suppressing the tears. She wanted to ask why but all she could say was “Okay”

 

Momo disappeared from her sight after the older gave her a weak smile before leaving. Now, the tears are flowing in her eyes. Alone in the storage room, she tucked her knees tighter feeling the cold wind. Heart break. Mina felt it was her first heart break even though she hasn’t really conveyed her feelings. Does it count as one?

 

++

Mina slumped at her bed, throwing her bag at the corner. Her eyes are puffy after the series of crying in the storage up to her room. Momo was right, there’s no reason for them to continue their agreement when Momo had given up on Nayeon. Or maybe Momo doesn’t want to be with her? These thoughts are troubling her mind until she fell asleep not even changing into her sleeping clothes.

 

++

Momo went straight into the club where Nayeon used to hangout before. The noise and the lights are blinding, she’s not really used to this kind of environment, but she felt the urge to be wasted now. She doesn’t know if she made the right decision, but she believed that it was for the both of them. One gulp of the bottle of beer, her mind betrayed her, images of Mina’s pretty face comes flashing in her mind. Another gulp, and she misses the soft voice of the younger, even her nagging voice. Third gulp, she misses the warmth and the touches, the kisses and the cuddles. This can’t be happening Momo, you can’t let yourself hurt again. She cursed at herself. She couldn’t believe she fell in love, now, with Mina. And being tied up in their agreement will make her feelings messier. She doesn’t want another heartbreak but she felt her heart already was broken when she ended their contract.

++

 

The first game of elimination commenced and Momo is missing in action. Mina’s neck grew longer trying to find any traces of the older. The players should be at the venue two hours prior the actual game. The coach asked Mina to call Momo to get a hold of their ace player. Mina who is hesitant, finally made a call to the older feeling responsible as the team’s manager. There were few rings and no answer. When she thought Momo wouldn’t pick up, the line suddenly connected.

“Hello” Mina knew the voice in the other line doesn’t belong to Momo.

“Can I speak with Momo?” Mina swallowed before saying the words.

“Sorry, she’s still sleeping, who’s this by the way? I just tell her when she wakes up” the girl in the other line said.

“This is her manager, please wake her up now because we had an important game today” she sternly said trying to hide her irritation. Momo is sleeping beside her?

“Hey, wake up, your manager is on the line, they are waiting for you” Mina could hear the conversation in the other line and she heard Momo’s sleepy groan which alleviates her speculation that she’s sleeping beside her.

“Hey, you should hurry, I think your game is important, put your clothes on quickly” the woman said and it doesn’t left unnoticed by Mina. Momo isn’t wearing any clothes and she’s sleeping beside an unknown woman. Mina clenched her jaw upon hearing that conversation. She couldn’t believe what she’s hearing.

“Sorry, I forgot you’re still on the line, I’ll wake her up promise, bye” the girl disconnected the call and Mina felt betrayed. So Momo ended our contract so that she can be with anyone. She’s not feeling well after the call. She went to back inside the court to tell the coach that Momo is on the way.

 

++

Tip off started and the game commenced even without their key player, Hirai Momo. Mina was scolded by the coach since she said that Momo is on the way but there’s no Momo came. Mina just apologized at their coach. She didn’t want to call her again after what she heard on the other line. She doesn’t even want to see her, not in her vulnerable state. She’s mad at herself for being too affected on everything Momo’s doing. They are now just club mates. Nothing more, nothing less.

After the first quarter, the team’s score is behind 15 points. And it doesn’t look good for the team, they don’t want to be eliminated on the first round. The team are in a serious meeting at the bench and Mina is intently listening at the side.

“You have to double team their number twenty and Jeongyeon, you should improve on your offense, they are overpowering our offense, we don’t have a shooter right now so we have to force on going into the paint.” The coach said giving further instructions.

“Yes coach” Jeongyeon agreed and everyone nods as well, the team is a bit frustrated to score now.

 

“Sorry, I’m late” a familiar voice echoed in the gym and the team were surprised to see Momo. Mina turned her head to see where the voice is coming from. Momo was panting hard and sweating a lot.

“Change in your jersey quick!” the coach ordered “I’ll scold you later”

“Okay coach” Momo went to the locker room quick. Mina kept on observing the older but she’s so pissed at her.

Momo returned to the bench and do a quick warm up at the side of the court. She was talking to the coach about their game plan.

“We are left behind Momo, I know we’re putting this pressure on you as our main scorer but we need to win this one” the coach said patting Momo on her shoulder.

“I’ll do my best to close the gap, coach” she assured turning to move on to the court, she take a quick glance at Mina before heading to her teammates and their eyes met. Mina looked away quickly and the older noticed that. Yes, they ended their contract but does Mina had to glare at her?

Momo shrugged it off and focused on the game, she’s a bit light headed due to hang over, she hadn’t eaten as well as she immediately went to the game when she was woken up by the unknown girl.

 

A whistle started the second quarter, when Momo handles the ball, people are cheering, it boosts her confidence hearing the loud scream. She’s dribbling her way to the front court and sets the pace of her team, when she saw Jeongyeon unguarded below the rim, she makes a bullet pass towards her and the captain easily scored a basket. Their teamwork is getting better now. Jeongyeon taps Momo’s back as they run to the back court to defend. “Nice pass!” the older compliments.

Jeongyeon blocked the shot of the opponent and their teammate managed to catch the loose ball, she passed it immediately to Momo who was quick to move into the front court, she saw two opponents ready to block her at the paint so she moved her feet beyond the arc to make a three. One of their opponent tried to contest the shot but ended up on the wrong position that initiates a contact made Momo fall on her feet hard. A whistle was heard and they had a chance for a four-point play. Jeongyeon helped Momo get up.

She made the free throw and they are now on a 6-0 run. Their offense has improved a lot this quarter, thanks to Momo and Jeongyeon’s teamwork. And the quarter ended with a tie. They outscored the opponent in this quarter.

During half time break, the team went to their respective locker room to freshen up and to have a huddle about their game plan on the second half. Mina was there as well and she’s distributing the player’s towel and bottle of pocari. When it was turn for her to give them to Momo, she just tossed the towel with pocari to her and turning her back quickly. Momo was left speechless by the act. Does ending the contract means she’ll be mad at me? The older is confused.

After the break, everyone went outside the locker and Momo is sure she heard her ankle snapped upon standing up. She checked her ankle and saw a small red mark around. She just lifted her sock and proceed to the game.

They recovered from their offense and now they are leading the game with 20 points. The team finally found their rhythm and every shot is a high percentage shot. Momo opt to sit on the last 5 minutes of the game, giving chance to the bench player to experience the real game since they were ahead with a big margin. The coach sat beside her and pats her head. “Thank you for saving today’s game, but I will still scold you after this” the coach chuckled under his breath.

They won in the first round. Unfortunately, the second round of elimination is tomorrow, and they have no time to celebrate. Mina was packing their things and Momo couldn’t talk to her, Mina seems mad at her. She was planning to avoid Mina at first but seeing Mina the one who avoided her made Momo realize she doesn’t want the cold treatment.

Mina hurriedly went outside feeling suffocated in the court with Momo. She went ahead of the team. She still couldn’t look at the older knowing she’s playing around with other girl. She hates to admit it but she’s jealous. She’s mad at Momo, for having a great impact on her when Momo is being insensitive. It’s hard being in love with you, and it’s awful. Mina thought wiping the tear that escaped her eyes.

 

++

Today is the second round and whoever wins the game will have move on to the final match. Jeongyeon and Momo who is both seniors, will be their last chance. And they couldn’t afford to lose this important game. Jeongyeon is becoming more nervous as they are a step closer to their dream. Nayeon, who is always present in every game approached the captain to give her words of encouragement. Momo peeked at the couple and it surprised her, it didn’t hurt anymore seeing the two being cuddly. She’s glad that Jeongyeon is the one Nayeon chose, she’s good for her, they complement each other. She suddenly felt envious, not because she wanted to be with Nayeon, but because she’s feeling empty.

The game is commencing and Momo walked inside the court, in a step, she felt a striking pain in her ankle. She flinched, but she tried to ignore the pain, she put a lot of pain killers around her ankle before this game but it looks like it wasn’t enough.

 

The opponents have the height advantage; they are all freaking tall. Momo noticed also that the bleachers were full of people and players from other school is watching as well, maybe researching their future opponent whoever wins today. At a whistle, the game started.

Mina was observing the game at the bench. When Momo did the jump shot, she noticed that Momo winced upon landing her feet on the ground. Also, Momo’s moves were a bit slower than before. After the first half, the score was tied, it was a struggle for the team since the opponents are faster and taller. Also, their main scorer is struggling with the offense.

The older went immediately at the shower room after the first half. She tends her swollen ankle with lots of pain killer. When she opened the cubicle, she was surprised to see Mina standing in front her.

“Let me see your foot” Mina ordered.

“I’m fine, it’s just a cramp” Momo ignored the order and went straight to the locker’s bench.

“Don’t be so stubborn!” Mina raised her voice as she followed the older.

“I don’t know why you’re concerning yourself when you’re trying your best to avoid me!” Momo snapped and she turned her back to face Mina. The younger was frozen in her position and Momo, feeling agitated threw the face towel to the floor and went outside the locker room slamming the door. Maybe she’s gone too far, but she’s pissed. The least she wanted to do is to abandon the game.

The second half commenced and Momo didn’t fail to notice that one of the audience from other school approached Mina. They are the current first place in the league of basketball and if they won, they would be able to compete with them. She saw the shy reaction of Mina when the small girl approached her. Looks like she’s liking it. Momo annoyingly whispered. This made Momo want to win more. She endured the pain throughout the second half. She managed to score 30 points and finally they secured their slot in the finals. The team celebrated and every one gathered for a group hug.

“Let’s have a good dinner together, my treat!” The coach suggested and the members yelled in joy. Momo felt relieved that they’ve won but she doesn’t know how long will her ankle last. She couldn’t tell anyone about this, the team depended heavily on her and it’s their last game. Someone taps her back while she’s drinking, she turned to see the person who talked to Mina a while ago.

“Hi, so your team will be our opponent in the finals, I’m Son Chaeyoung by the way” she smiled sheepishly and Momo felt that person is mocking her. “Goodluck on your ankle” she continued. Oh snap, how did she know.

Momo balled her fist when Chaeyoung left and went towards where Mina is. Why does she’s all over Mina? She clicked her tongue and looked away. The coach called out the members to go altogether the diner.

++

 

They arrived and everybody took their seat, Momo sat as well and the only vacant seat for Mina is beside her. The younger has no choice but to sit next to her. Mina felt uncomfortable the entire dinner, while everyone’s celebrating, she’s just silently eating at the side and Momo is doing the same. She couldn’t understand their situation, she felt her chest tightens remembering the incident at the locker room a while ago. Momo is partly right about her avoiding the older, but she couldn’t act like she used to around her after all, every day is a battle for her. The pain lingers more when she’s seeing Momo, maybe if they met in a different situation, in a more normal circumstance, maybe they had a chance. Her head aches thinking about these what ifs.

“This win will not be possible without Momo” Jeongyeon commented in the middle of their celebration. “This will be our last game since we’ll be graduating soon” she continued and every one lifted their cup of drinks to cheers.

“Let’s win the finals and make more memories!” the captain announced and every body cheered. Mina felt her heart sank, everything is just too much. Momo will graduate soon and this will be their last game and she still couldn’t talk to her normally like they were complete strangers. Did Momo forgets her promise that she’ll always be there when she needs her? Maybe those words are no longer valid that their agreement has ended. One of the member noticed that Mina is tearing up.

“Mina are you okay?” the point guard of the team asked. Mina immediately wiped her cheeks, she doesn’t want to spoil the fun. “Yes, I’m okay, something gets into my eyes” she responded, she felt a warm hand against her arm and Momo leaned closer to her face. She forgot to breathe. The looked intently at her eyes and the older blew slightly against her eyes.

“That should be okay now” Momo said while leaning back against the chair. The act made Mina’s heart race. Momo’s actions were unpredictable. Sometimes she’s distant, and all of a sudden she’s too close. Of course she wouldn’t complain on the latter.

 

++

 

The team finished their meal and everyone already gone to their respective homes. Jeongyeon excused herself early since she’s meeting with Nayeon. Mina thought that everyone’s already went ahead when she heard a familiar voice from behind.

“You’re going home alone?” Momo asked since she knew that Mina and Jeongyeon lives in the same neighborhood and might went home together.

Still dazed with the sudden appearance, Mina swallowed and nods in response. “Let’s go together then” Momo proposes. Mina gripped into her sling bag tight trying to decipher what Momo meant. Did I hear it right?

Mina found herself walking next to Momo, she felt there was a brick wall in between them and no one’s talking until Momo suddenly ask out of the blue.

“You seem close with that Son Chaeyoung” Momo said earning the younger’s attention as she turned her head to look at Momo. She’s surprised by the sudden mention of Chaeyoung’s name. The mentioned girl seems nice when she approached her.

“Ah, not really but she’s nice” Mina sincerely commented but she’s sure she heard a heavy sigh from the older.

“You like her?” it sounded like an accusation rather than a question. Mina felt uneasy and triggered by the question.

“Why do you care? When did you even care, you’ve been acting like a stranger these past few days and you want me to answer that? I don’t understand you Momo, I don’t get it at all” Mina snapped. Momo’s been hurting her in many ways and she’s too sensitive in everything the older says. If only Momo knew how hard it is for Mina as well.

They are at the front of Mina’s house when they both stopped. Momo looked at her intently like finding the stars in her eyes.

“Let’s renew the contract for a minute” Momo said in a rush and Mina couldn’t get a hold of the moment when she felt a pair of lips crashed against hers’.

 

++

 

A/N: I couldn't promise a regular update this week since I have lots of events to facilitate plus my daily work. But I will try to write when i have free time. Thank you for all the subscirbers, commenters, silent readers and upvoters. Love you all!