01. The two of us

Lost Stars

 

“This will be your training schedule for the whole month and we will have a practice game with the other school after that” Mina sternly said to the members of the basketball club. She’s standing in the middle of the court beside a white board showing their schedules. The coach who rarely shows up is spectating at the side and the ten players are sitting at the floor listening intently at the announcement.

Jeongyeon stood up from her seat and joined Mina at the front to talk about their routines at the practice. She’s the captain of the team and she’s respected by her teammate because of her leadership skills, Jeongyeon wanted to participate in the Nationals and it’s been her dream since she joined the club. Momo, on the other hand, is the opposite of Jeongyeon, she doesn’t care about recognitions and the like, she just wanted to play basketball because she’s good at it, actually she’s been scouted by different clubs since she’s good in every sport. But she decided to join the basketball team because the practice venue of the basketball and cheerleaders are the same, inside the huge gymnasium, not to mention, she wanted Im Nayeon’s attention.

After the quick meeting, the players gathered at the court to start their afternoon practice. Momo sat in one of the benches at the side of the court beside Mina who is attentively watching the practice. Momo drinks her bottle of soda earning Mina’s nagging.

“You should hydrate properly. I told you so many times to drink this and not that carbonated one” she passed Momo a bottle of Pocari sweat. Momo just sighed while accepting the drink. “Okay, okay” she murmured. She glanced at Mina and looked towards Mina’s line of sight.

“You’re whipped” Momo chuckled. Mina was startled by Momo’s remarks.

“What??!” Mina felt hot on the back of her neck with the realization of what Momo meant.

“You’re too obvious, you know. And Jeongyeon’s too dumb to notice” she continued and stood up, removing the towel wrapped in her neck.

“After practice, in the usual place” Momo said without looking at Mina as she turned to the group of players to start practicing.

“Okay” she answered.

Mina knew what it meant. She’s been secretly meeting Momo after the practice, it started a few weeks after Momo joined the basketball club. Momo is the first to notice her big fat crush on Jeongyeon and Momo admitted as well the reason why she joined the club which is because of Nayeon. They became each other’s confidant and one day, they decided to try things out of their curiosity.

“It’s funny how unfortunate we are, you know, both of our love interests have a thing for each other” Momo said.

“They are not together yet” Mina objected trying to be optimistic.

“I know… I should step up my game, and you should too” Momo suggested. Mina suddenly became quiet. They are inside this huge storage room wiping the basket balls while sitting in the ground.

“Kiss me” Mina said all of a sudden. Momo’s eyes widen at the two words Mina just said. It just slipped through Mina’s mind out of inquisitiveness, she wanted to know how it would feel.

“You can think of me as Nayeon and I’ll think of you as Jeongyeon. No feelings involved.” Mina continued as she looked closely at Momo who is now facing her.

“Deal” and Momo leaned closer landing her lips against the younger’s. Mina closed her eyes upon feeling the soft moist lips of the older. She thought of Jeongyeon, imagining that she’s the one kissing her. Her heart pounds hard and she felt hot at the back of her neck. Momo deepen the kiss and Mina parted her lips to give access to Momo’s tongue. It is intoxicating. They pulled away when they were out of breath, Mina find herself panting at the lack of oxygen.

“You should breathe” Momo teased while looking at the flushed face of Mina.

“How would I know when I should breathe, you should’ve told me” Mina retorted.

“Okay, let’s do it again”

++

 

After the practice, the players gathered at the side benches to pack their things preparing to go home. Jeongyeon approached Mina while everyone is busy.

“Mina, you want to go home together?” Jeongyeon offered since they are neighbors and they used to go home together before. But they stopped going home together ever since Jeongyeon started to stick with Neyeon all the time. Mina was surprised by the sudden question. “Why? Where’s Nayeon?” the words just came out of without thinking. Jeongyeon became suddenly uncomfortable with the mention of Nayeon’s name and her face started to blush.

“She’s staying with her friend’s house today so I couldn’t walk her home tonight” Jeongyeon admitted. Mina gripped the sling of her bag still thinking of her decision. She promised Momo they will meet up after practice. Mina’s eyes wandered at the group behind Jeongyeon and saw Momo who’s looking at her and gave her a nod, as if she’s giving permission to go with Jeongyeon today. She felt happy by Momo’s gesture and she immediately accepted Jeongyeon’s offer.

Mina quickly sent a message to Momo before going home with Jeongyeon.

MN: Thank you for today! Nayeon will be going to her friend’s house, maybe it’s your chance to talk to her. :))

MM: Okay. Don’t ruin your chance. Fighting!

Mina chuckled at the remark and she returned her mobile phone inside her sling bag. Jeongyeon smiled at her seeing her smile.

“It’s been a while since I saw your smile” the older said noticing the bright smile on her face. Mina became silent and all she could hear are the noise of their footsteps.

“Ah yes, It’s been a while too since we last walked home together” Mina reminisced.

It was easy for Mina to fall in love with Jeongyeon. They’ve been neighbors since her family migrated to Korea when she was ten and Jeongyeon’s been helpful with her to adjust to the new town. Their families became close and it was always easy to be with the older since Jeongyeon occasionally visits their household once in a while. But Jeongyeon only sees her as a family.

Jeongyeon patted her head breaking her thoughts from wandering. It was the older’s habit to pat her head when she feels sulky of down. “Our Mina is sulking, don’t worry, I’ll visit this weekend” Jeongyeon reassured the pouting girl and gave her a warm smile. Mina felt her cheeks burning and looked away to hide her flushed face. She’s mentally cursing herself for feeling uncomfortable with the sight of the older’s lips and imagining things.

They parted when they arrived at Mina’s home first. She drifted to her room and heard her mobile phone beeped. She picked up and saw one unread message from Momo.

MM: Can I go to your place tonight?

Mina stared at the message. She knew something was up and something happened with Momo and Nayeon.

MN: Yes, you can. I just arrived.

As soon as she sent the message, the doorbell rang and she couldn’t be mistaken that she heard Momo’s voice. She abruptly went down and run into Momo who looked tired. She guided her into her room and let her sit into the bed. Momo was silent. It was the first time other than Jeongyeon that someone has entered her room. The older broke the silence with a question.

“So how’s your walk with Jeongyeon?”

“I think it’s good, we talked a bit and I’m glad we did catch up on things” Mina honestly said. She’s the kind of person who keeps things privately and rarely talks to people. But she felt comfortable telling these things to Momo.

“Hmmm, that’s great. You’re a step ahead of me” Momo chuckled silently. Mina didn’t notice the hint of sadness on the older’s words. In an instant, Mina felt a warm hand on her cheek and lips crashed against hers. Like a habit, she kissed back closing her eyes. It was passionate and sloppy like Momo is craving for her lips. Momo slightly pushed her back against the bed’s surface, the older’s hands trailing from her neck down to her waist. Mina couldn’t think straight but she’s nervous by the aggressiveness. They haven’t done anything beyond the kiss. When she felt Momo’s hands slid inside her shirt, she unconsciously gripped Momo’s arms stopping the older to go further. Momo immediately pulled from the kiss and sat up. Realizing where her hands have been roaming.

“I’m sorry, I’m just caught up with the moment” Momo explained. Mina fixed her shirt then sat up. She felt her heart beating normally again after the heated kiss a while ago.

“It’s okay. You know, you can tell me everything” Mina is eager to help Momo like how Momo helped her in listening to her over and over again with the same Jeongyeon problem. She saw the heavy sigh the older released in response.

“I really like her” Momo started. “I really like her even though she’s not good for me”

Mina comforted Momo in a tight hug patting her back. Mina couldn’t understand everything but she knew that Momo is suffering as much as herself in this one sided love they had to other person. They had the same sentiment, same need, and same situation. They are both lost stars, trying to keep each other warm.

“We’ll be fine Momo, we’ll be fine as long as we have each other” she whispered.

 

 

++

 

A/N: I’m too tired to proofread. Things are just getting started but Mimo is already into it haha. Thank you for subscribing even before I post my first chapter. I really appreciate your support.