06. Chance

Lost Stars

 

“I’m sorry, I’m really not that serious about this, I just got curious”

The girl felt her world shatter in front of her eyes upon hearing those tormenting words. She gave her everything for her, skipping classes, lying to her parents, even fighting her friends who’s always telling her to avoid this girl. She felt betrayed. She was her first love after all. All alone now, she couldn’t hold back her tears flowing from her eyes clouding her sight. Why does it hurt so much? And it’s unfair seeing the girl who broke her just casually said those words without even flinching. Hate grew stronger inside the young girl’s heart until it consumes her.

Tears escaped her closed eyes when she woke up from the bad dream. Nayeon felt her cheeks wet and wiped them immediately. The memory still haunts her. She used to be the innocent sweet girl in middle school, everybody likes her, until someone ruined her innocence. She was ruined by love. Ever since that incident, she changed drastically. She didn’t even know who’s the real Im Nayeon anymore. She wanted people to want her more and then she’ll ruin them, use them, and cast them aside, like what she felt before. Like fulfilling a self-satisfaction out of these and it became a habit.

Realizing what happened last night, she felt her heart aches. Images of Jeongyeon’s tear-stained face were flashing through her mind. For the first time, she felt remorse.

 

++

The members gathered at the court for the last day of their training camp. Jeongyeon and Momo is now joining them after the punishment yesterday. The coach called both of their attention for a quick huddle to ensure that the two would no longer engage in a fist fight. The two promised that they would reconcile and the coach left them alone to talk.

There was a long silence before Jeongyeon started to talk, for the sake of the team.

“Let’s not bring our personal issues in the game, most especially now that tournament is coming” she suggested being the captain of the team and she knew that the team needs Momo as their main source of points.

“I would suggest the same, so let’s go back to practice?” Momo agreed and she reached out her hand for a handshake. Jeongyeon reached in and taps Momo’s shoulder as a friendly gesture.

Jeongyeon is still bothered by what she saw last night but she couldn’t let it ruin her game and her team work with Momo. She has to set it aside and deal with it later, outside the camp. They joined the group for another round of practice shooting and a practice game. Mina and the cheerleaders were assisting on the side. Everyone was busy. Nayeon on the other hand, tried to rebuilt her resolve, but avoiding Jeongyeon in the process.

After the five-hours straight practice, Jeongyeon approached Nayeon who she knew has been avoiding her since morning. The older is sitting at the bleachers chatting with her Sana and Jihyo.

“Can I have a moment?” Jeongyeon excused herself from the group and the two just nodded giving the two privacy to talk. Jeongyeon sat beside her wiping the sweat in her neck, she didn’t know how to start the conversation herself, Nayeon’s been giving her the cold treatment.

“Nayeon… do you hate me?” the confused Jeongyeon asked. She doesn’t know what’s going on in the older’s mind. What are they, really?

“Don’t you want to ask me why am I making out with Momo last night?” Nayeon said with strong front. Jeongyeon was surprised by the sudden change of Nayeon’s personality, the way she speaks is entirely different from what she’s known.

“Momo… do you like her?” the younger asked.

“No, I don’t, I’m just bored yesterday” she said sternly, she wanted Jeongyeon to realize how sick she was, the real Im Nayeon.

“W-what do you mean?” Jeongyeon was left dumb-founded by Nayeon’s remarks. She couldn’t grasp what she’s trying to imply. All these things are too hard to understand. Bored? Does making out a hobby to pass time? Does the kiss they shared is just like that too?

“Are you dumb? Can’t you see I’m not serious with anyone, with Momo or even with you?” Nayeon snapped, the words were like venom, it’s out of control. Jeongyeon felt it, Nayeon is trying hard to hurt her. She couldn’t reply back when she realized Nayeon already walked away. She just stared on the disappearing figure of the older. I’m not dumb. I have a feeling about this all along.

++

 

Mina being the busy manager, has been making notes for the teams’ stats and also schedules. She was sitting at the coffee table inside the villa’s porch when Momo approached her.

“What are you doing? You’ve been busy even after the practice game” the older suddenly speaks startling Mina.

“The tournament is near, I have to check on your schedules and gather opponent’s data. You know, research and stuff” Mina tried to be civil around Momo especially when people can see them.

“You looked uptight, you should get some rest too” Momo trying to look at what Mina is doing, inched closer to her and Mina can feel the older’s breath against her. In a heartbeat, Mina leaned away, fearing that the sound of her pounding chest could be heard by Momo.

“I-I’m okay, don’t worry” Mina abruptly said “How are things with Nayeon?” she changed the subject. Momo slouched at her chair upon hearing the topic and released a heavy sigh.

“We haven’t talked since last night, and I think it’s impossible to talk to her now, I mean, with all these mess” the older became serious. Mina could read Momo’s sudden change of expression, maybe bringing up Nayeon isn’t the best idea.

“I see…”

“How are you with Jeongyeon? Have you talked?” Momo returned the topic to Mina. She couldn’t tell Momo the thinngs they talked about because it’s all about her. She tried to squeeze her mind to think of things to say.

“Y-yes, and we’re okay, we’re still friends after all” Mina faked a smile. She couldn’t count how many times she lied to Momo, to herself. Momo, being dense to everything, just nods acknowledging what the younger has said. It was always like that, and Mina won’t complain, this is better than Momo knowing everything.

“Just always remember I’ll always be here when you need me, I’m your friend as well, right?” Momo assured her. Friends, so we’re friends.

 

++

 

The training camp ended, one by one, the members went inside the mini bus bringing their huge bags inside. Of course, Momo seated beside Mina, Jeongyeon was seated beside the coach and Nayeon is seated beside Sana and Jihyo.

Mina felt that they became closer after this camp, and she won’t complain, even though they have this “friends with benefits” label. The older scoots closer to her leaning her head against her shoulder, preparing herself for a sleep throughout the ride. Mina leaned in too, feeling the familiar warmth and scent.

 

++

 

Arriving at their destination, the school grounds, the members went home respectively. Jeongyeon pulled Nayeon’s arm when the girl turned her back to walk away.

“Can I go home with you?” Jeongyeon asked.

“Home, as in my home?” the older was surprised with the offer.

“Yes, I want to go with you” the younger insisted. Nayeon sighed, she’s puzzled by Jeongyeon’s intention now. She should be mad at me after what I said.

“Okay” Nayeon said and turned her back while Jeongyeon followed beside her. The walk was silent until they reached Nayeon’s apartment. She’s living alone. As she opened the door, she looked back at Jeongyeon. “Come in”

It was the first time for Jeongyeon to enter Nayeon’s apartment. The place is very different from what she’s imagined, it was messy, clothes were everywhere, there were cans of empty beer at the table, and there was a strong scent of tobacco. This is the real Im Nayeon.

“Are you surprised?” Nayeon asked as if mocking her that she’s been tricked all this time. She lit a stick of cigarette and blew the smoke in front of Jeongyeon’s face.

“You can leave if you want, I’m done with you” Nayeon smirked at the words, she has to do this to spare Jeongyeon from her messy life. What happened next didn’t crossed her mind, the younger crashed her lips against hers, it was deep. The moment Jeongyeon pulled from the kiss, she took the stick of cigarette from her fingers and pushed its tip to the ashtray at the table. Nayeon was speechless.

“I don’t care if this is just a game for you, but I love you” Jeongyeon kissed her again, passionate this time, and Nayeon gave in. Her knees became weak at the contact, like she’s surrendered. No one has ever made her feel that way.

++

The two of them are now laying in the older’s bed, covering their exposed bodies with the thin blanket. Nayeon was staring blank at the ceiling. They just did it. She looked at the person beside her, and she felt her walls crumbling down. Jeongyeon slowly opened her eyes, meeting her gaze and a smile was formed at the younger’s face.

“I love you, Im Nayeon” Jeongyeon said as kissed her cheek. The gesture was sweet and Nayeon couldn’t help but hide her flushed face.

“I don’t understand why you would still want to be with me after all” Nayeon blatantly said.

 “I don’t care about what you did or what you do, I will still love you no matter what, I want to be the person who would make you feel home, I want to be your significant other” these words were too pure for Nayeon that she felt a tear escaped her eyes. This time she felt loved, like she deserves all the love in the world. She was touched.

“Can I be that person?” Jeongyeon asked again.

“I wanted to believe we have a chance Jeongyeon, b-but, I might cheat on you over and over again” Nayeon said, it was true, she wasn’t really sure herself if she could devote herself to only one person now”

“If you’re okay with me, we can try, right? Please, give me a chance” Jeongyeon pleaded. Her eyes were sparkling and Nayeon felt lost in those eyes. Those eyes gave her courage, “I want to try” Nayeon answered and Jeongyeon beams hearing these words. She hugged Nayeon tightly whispering “Thank you” and “I’ll do my best”

 

++

 

News spread quickly around the school about the basketball team’s captain and the most popular cheerleader are now dating. The club members are now focusing first in their exams before the tournament so they temporarily cancelled the afternoon practice for a week to focus on their studies. This made Mina a bit sad, she couldn’t see Momo this past week. She’s also worried on how are Momo dealing with the news about the two. I wanted to see her.

Her worry got the best of her, she’s now standing in front of Momo’s apartment, contemplating if she should knock or not. What excuse should I make? Is it weird that I am here?

Three knocks. There was no answer and Mina waited for a minute. She knocked again and the door clicked revealing Momo in a not so good state. “Mina?” Momo was able to say before she collapsed and Mina was quick to catch Momo from falling. Momo was burning with fever. She quickly brought her into her room and lay her to bed. Mina panicked and look for a towel and dip it in water, she came back wiping Momo’s forehead. She sat beside her the entire time, wiping the rest of her limbs with wet towel to lessen the heat. You should seek for help when you’re not feeling well. Mina sighed. She went to the kitchen and prepared a porridge. She’s not a good cook but she can make a simple porridge by looking at the instructions from the internet. One of the few reasons why she keeps a phone.

After she cooked, she poured a portion into a bowl to feed Momo. Sitting at the edge of the bed, she shook Momo’s shoulder to wake her up.

“You should at least eat so you can drink your medicine” she said still shaking the sleeping Momo. The older slowly opened her eyes, surprised to see Mina beside in front of her.

“You’re here…” Momo weakly said, trying to sit up. Mina immediately supported her hand against Momo’s back to help her sit up, Momo caught a whiff of lavender.

Mina took a spoonful of porridge, blowing it softly before she feeds the weak Momo.

“I didn’t know you can cook” Momo commented while eating the porridge the Myoui made.

“It’s all thanks to Google” Mina retorted.

“Still, thank you…” Momo felt shy suddenly. This is the first time someone is taking care of her. She rarely got sick but when she does, she couldn’t really help herself. And she’s thankful that Mina is here now.

“You should’ve messaged me, next time if you’re not feeling well, call me” it sounded like a command but Momo loved the tone.

Momo managed to empty the bowl of porridge and took the medicine that Mina gave her. She laid in bed again and the younger pulled the blanket to cover Momo’s entire body.

“You should sleep” Mina said who is still sitting beside her. “I will stay here for the night, don’t worry”. Mina scooted beside Momo pulling the blanket sharing them with Momo.

“You might catch my cold if you – “

“No I’m not, I’m healthy, so don’t worry” Mina reassured her as she laid her back against the bed. There was comfortable silence until Mina spoke

“You heard about Jeogyeon and Nayeon?”

“Yes” Momo gave her a hasty answer. “I guess, we’re losers after all” Momo said dejectedly. “It was harder than I thought, looking at them together, lost in their own world, how I wish I was in Jeongyeon’s place” A tear rolled down on Momo’s face and Mina saw how sad she looked. It breaks her heart. She wanted to comfort her, to tell her that she’s not alone, that she’s loved. But she couldn’t put it into words. In a heartbeat, she landed her lips against Momo’s. Feeling the warm breath and dry lips. Maybe, she forgotten the word self-control. She deepens the kiss, giving her lips the moist it needed. She’s becoming greedy. She loves her and she wants more. More.

Mina pulled from the kiss when she realized that Momo was sick and needs some rest.

“I-I’m sorry” Mina blurted and laid her back flat against the surface calming her pounding chest. Momo, who is a bit sleepy due to the medicine’s effect, wrapped her limbs around the younger as if she would escape. “Your kisses are the best” Momo weakly said and a heavy breath was heard. Momo fell asleep. Mina just stared at the sleeping girl memorizing her features. It’s hurting me too Momo. But I rather bear this pain than lose you. Is it wrong to love you this much?

 

++

A/N: Thank you for still reading this fic. I appreciate your comments and criticisms. Please understand that I also have a daytime job hehe so the updates are kinda short. Thank you for your patience and support. Congratulations to our queens for the PAK :)) 

The next chapter will focus on MiMo :))