02. Resentment

Lost Stars

 

It was a normal day but Mina decided to bring an extra packed lunch for someone today. It’s not bad to push my luck today right? She thought feeling optimistic all of a sudden, maybe it’s because of the previous night’s walk with Jeongyeon that gave her the courage to try harder.

Mina shouldn’t be surprised when she went to the older’s classroom just to find Jeongyeon with Nayeon. The two went out of the classroom, side by side. She saw the spark in the older’s eyes as she was talking with the most popular cheerleader. Mina released a heavy sigh she didn’t know she was holding until now. Like a defeated loser, she turned her back thinking of going back to her classroom until Momo suddenly came to mind. Maybe the other loser wanted some lunch? She didn’t know what brought her to the rooftop but she has a strong feeling that Momo will be there and she’s right.

Momo is taking a nap, using her arm as pillow in the corner. She tossed the packed lunch at Momo’s stomach that made the older to wake up. She sat up and Mina seated beside her leaning her back against the cold wall.

“What’s this for?” Momo querried pointing to the packed lunch at her lap.

“Just eat it” Mina said annoyingly

“Don’t tell me you are going play girlfriend now?” Momo chuckled teasing the irritated Mina.

“That’s supposed to be for her” she said cutting the older’s remarks

“Oh, so it’s a secondhand food… I don’t care as long as it can fill my tummy” Momo removed the lid of the container and devoured the food. Mina just stared at Momo eating deliciously like she hasn’t eaten for days.

“You sure eat a lot, that’s surprising with your physique” Mina commented, she didn’t fail to notice the sculpted body of the rookie ace player. Momo doesn’t seem to hear Mina for she’s too focused in eating.

“You give up easily” Momo exclaimed, she’s now putting away the container and fixing her uniform.

“I’m not. What do you want me to do then? Pull her away from Nayeon and force her to eat with me?” Mina dejectedly say.

“You can try that, so Jeongyeon will avoid you forever thinking you’re a creep” Momo jested. Mina is unamused by the answer and stood up trying to walk away from the laughing Momo.

“Wait, why are you so bad tempered today, you’re no fun, is it the time of the month?” Momo stood up grabbing Mina’s arm stopping her tracks.

Mina was surprised when Momo wrapped her arms around her waist, back hugging her, planting her chin on her collarbone. Maybe it was one of Momo’s ways to pacify her. They stayed like that for a few minutes that Mina felt it lasted for hours. Her irritation is fading away and is now replaced by the familiar warmth. “Don’t spoil me too much, Momo” she said under her breath.

Momo released the hug and pecked her neck before she pulled away. “Let’s go, you’re going to be late” Momo said while walking towards the exit. Mina stood still looking at the disappearing Momo and she holds her neck missing the contact. She felt hot on the part of her neck where the older planted the kiss.

++

 

Nayeon intently listen to Jeongyeon’s stories like it is the most interesting thing in the world. And it makes the latter giddy knowing that Nayeon is giving her attention, it’s like a dream coming true for Jeongyeon, spending time with Nayeon is her favorite part of the day.

“How was your sleepover with your friend last night?” Jeongyeon, running out of topic to share, just spilled the question.

“Oh, it was fun, we had a lot of catching up” Nayeon said and gave her a warm smile that she knows, was Jeongyeon’s weakness.

“That’s great” the captain replied and felt her heart racing at the sudden contact of their hands. Nayeon held her hand and squeezed them tightly. “Why are you still nervous around me, we’ve been spending a lot of time together” Nayeon curiously asked.

“I think anyone will be this nervous if they are talking with Im Nayeon” Jeongyeon managed to say despite the butterflies in her stomach. She’s different around Nayeon, for her, Nayeon is the most perfect person ever existed, Nayeon is kind, she’s friendly, she’s smart, athletic and everybody’s loves her. She felt special that the older is giving her attention that everybody wanted, maybe she’s really special for Nayeon.

 

++

 

Sound of squeaking rubber shoes echoed in the huge indoor court in the afternoon’s practice. The freshman is doing the relay dribbling while the sophomores and juniors are practicing their mid ranged jumper. Mina assists in retrieving the ball to the basketball rack while the players are busy doing the drills. She noticed Jeongyeon is beaming and she knew exactly the reason why. Nayeon.

In an instant her eyes wandered looking for the other presence she usually sought. She believed that Momo is just practicing a while ago but now she’s nowhere around the court. She scanned the entire gymnasium and noticed that Nayeon isn’t around as well. Mina let out a sigh. She can do that after practice. She shook her head in disappointment.

 

++

 

“What do you want to talk about, Momo?” Nayeon is the first to ask noticing the other’s loss of words. They are standing outside the back of the gym where few students can see them.

“Ah, uhm, I know I’m being too direct but, are you dating someone now?” Momo let out all the things that’s bothering her mind.

Nayeon was taken aback with the straightforward question. She has known Momo since Middle school. They are not friends but they are not strangers and she was not oblivious to the fact that Momo has taken an interest with her, she just didn’t know the extent of her feelings towards her.

“No… is that the only thing you want to ask?” Nayeon perked

“What do you feel about Jeongyeon?” another straightforward question. This one is different. Nayeon thought.

“Well, she’s a friend. A good friend” she answered everything smoothly.  

“Can I be your good friend too?” Momo requested as if pleading for her to say yes.

“Sure” Nayeon pulled a smile.

++

 

Nayeon and Momo entered the gym together and went to their respective clubs. Jeongyeon noticed the two and Mina was glaring at Momo as she approached her.

“I know you’re doing your best with Nayeon, but you can you do that after the practice?” Mina nagged. Momo scratched the back of her neck hearing the rants of their manager.

“Okay” she complied and started running to the court to do the drills. Jeongyeon approached Momo.

“Momo, do you have a minute?”

Momo knew Jeongyeon wanted to ask about Nayeon, she doesn’t really want to talk to Jeongyeon, but she wanted to get over this quickly. “What do you want? You can talk to me right now”

Jeongyeon took a deep breath trying to find the right words to say. “What do you think about Mina?” she managed to ask. She wanted to know what Momo felt about her friend because she’s worried about Mina. She doesn’t trust Momo being around her friend particularly because of what she saw a while ago, Momo hanging around Nayeon.

Momo clicked her tongue. She can predict the flow of their conversation, it pissed her off.

“That’s none of your concern” she retorted.

“It is my concern because she’s like a family, you hang out with her and then you will hang out with Nayeon in a second. I don’t want her to get hurt” the older reasoned

Momo smirked at the older’s remarks. You are the one who’s hurting her.

“Are you concerned of Mina or Nayeon? Don’t worry, I’ll make Mina happy” Momo said and leave the court going to the bench. Jeongyeon was frozen with the question, she couldn’t respond. Momo doesn’t feel like practicing anymore. She slumped her body against the wall feeling the coldness. She slept the entire time of the practice.

 

++

 

Momo was woken up by the cold bottle touching her cheek making her wince. Mina was sitting beside her and people are already gone at the court.

“You did your best in sleeping” Mina said. “Next time please do your best in practice”

“Can you do your best to stop nagging on me too?” Momo refutes

“Why are you feeling down after your talk with Nayeon?”

“Well, nothing really happened, I just don’t feel well today” Momo lied not wanting to talk about anything. Mina gave her a concerned look and the younger reached her hand on Momo’s forehead. The action made Momo startled. Their faces are few inches away and she can feel Mina’s breath against hers.

Realizing the distance between them, Mina’s eyes landed on the older’s lips. Mina initiated the contact. She pressed gently her lips against Momo’s. For the first time, she didn’t think about Jeongyeon while kissing Momo. In a spur of the moment she just wanted to kiss the latter. Momo kissed back, it was soft and gentle. They shared this intimate moment in a vacant gymnasium. The two didn’t seem to hear the creak echoed on the sliding door of the gym and they pulled from the kiss when a voice was heard.

“I’m sorry for interrupting, I just left my uniform here” Nayeon said as she run towards the other side of the court grabbing the paper bag with uniform. Nayeon saw the two kissing at the bench and she noticed Momo looking away not giving her a glance. So, these two has this kind of relationship. Nayeon thought that piqued her interest.

Mina felt her heart beating fast as they were caught by Nayeon, even though the older didn’t say anything she knew it was not a good situation for Momo. Her eyes followed Nayeon and for a moment their eyes met, Nayeon gave her a look she couldn’t describe, and she felt uncomfortable. Did she just glare at me?

 

++

 

The two decided to go home after Nayeon left the gym, the sky already painted in red and orange. Momo was silent, and Mina blames herself for not controlling her urge to kiss the older in the court.

“Stop overthinking” Momo said breaking the silence “It’s not like Nayeon likes me anyway, I think it’s better that she saw us” she continued

Mina looked at the older and saw her serious face. She couldn’t answer back on Momo’s statement. Hearing no response, Momo speaks again.

“We don’t need to hide anyway, let them think what they want” Momo suggested. Mina heaved a sigh and just looked forward, she still couldn’t process what Momo meant.

 

++

 

Today is the practice game with the neighboring school. People have gathered around the expanse of the court and the cheerleaders are here as well. Even students from the other school is here wanting to witness the game. Players from other school already arrived and now changed into their basketball uniforms. Mina noticed that Momo is not yet around their bench.

“Where’s Momo?” she asked Jeongyeon.

“She’s still at the locker” the older pointed at the door to the locker room.

Mina abruptly went towards the locker room because the game will start in a few minutes and they need to discuss the game plan before officially starting.

She saw Momo sitting at the long bench inside facing the lockers, she hasn’t worn her uniform yet, only wearing her sports undergarment and safety shorts, and a towel wrapped on her neck. Mina gulped at the sight but swallowed hard to compose herself. She sat beside the unfazed Momo who’s staring blankly at the ground.

“Why aren’t you going out? The game will start” Mina asked

“Ah, R-right, sorry, I spaced out” Momo stuttered while wearing her jersey numbered 64. Mina noticed the trembling hands of the older. She held Momo’s hands and they were cold and shaking.

“Don’t tell me you’re nervous?” the younger asked with worried face. Momo looked at Mina’s eyes. It was comforting and warm. The younger’s touch makes her anxiety fade.

“It’s my first match, I haven’t really played basketball in competition” she confessed.

Mina felt soft at the confession, the Momo in front of her is not the one you would see every day. She’s fragile now that makes her want to protect the person. Mina stood up and reached for Momo’s hands lifting her to stand up. She gave her a tight hug while patting her back.

“You’ll be fine.” Mina said under her breath while her palms are circling on the older’s back. The statement is sincere. Momo was relieved a bit with the warmth, calming her mind.

“Thank you” she reached for the younger’s waist to hug back.

 

++

 

The two went out of the locker room and joined the team. Momo attentively listened to their captain since their coach is not around again. Momo, even though it was her first match, was part of the starting lineup.

Mina, as a manager, is the one tasked to monitor the players, jotting down stats and calculating efficiency. This is their chance to improve since some of the players haven’t been into an official match, like Momo. Jeongyeon is the center, while Momo is the shooting guard who can also play forward. Mina didn’t fail to notice Momo’s athleticism, she couldn’t believe that Momo was just having a panic attack a while ago, it doesn’t show in her game now, she looked confident with her shots. She couldn’t get her eyes away from the older, she sure attracts attention, the spectators are also cheering for the rookie. She shook her head to clear her mind to focus on every player not only with Momo.

The game ended with a huge gap in favor of their team. Jeongyeon scoring an average of 17PPG has broken her own record of 20 while Momo, being her first match, has set her own record high at 28 points, 5 steals, and 6 assists. These numbers are too high for a rookie. But Mina noticed a problem with the team, Momo and Jeongyeon, is not playing as a team. Even Momo has an open look, Jeongyeon will still try to make a contested shot. Same with Momo.

 

Mina approached the captain to talk about her observations earlier.

“Jeongyeon, I just noticed that the team’s communication is lacking during the game, especially with you and Momo. Is there a problem?” Mina asked, she’s not used to Jeongyeon being too personal during the game.

Jeongyeon was silenced with the statement.

“I just don’t trust her that much, maybe” she gave a short response

“You don’t trust her? Her stats don’t lie, Jeongyeon, can’t you see that? She’s more capable than anyone in the team” Mina finds herself defending Momo, even arguing to Jeongyeon which she couldn’t believe she would do in her lifetime.

Jeongyeon was surprised by the younger’s words. But Mina has a point, yes, Momo is a skilled player, but the trust that she’s talking about is Momo’s intention towards Mina.

“Okay, she’s our key player, I admit, but she needs to fix her attitude towards practice and socializing with other player. She’s just sticking with you every practice, I noticed... You should be careful around her” Jeongyeon sternly said warning the younger to be wary around Momo.

“I trust her” Mina said. “You should try to know her more for the sake of your dream to go to nationals. You know you have my back with your dream that’s why I decided to be this club’s manager, but you have to do your part as a captain and exert an effort to make this team work.”

Mina was right. Jeongyeon felt relieved that Mina was there as their manager to set her mind clear, to be a better captain.

“I’ll try to talk things out with her during our training camp” she assured.

Their training camp will be held on a private villa near a beach. This is the most anticipated event by the basketball club since it was a three-days two-night outing slash training. Mina was not sure what to feel about the camp, she just hoped that Momo and Jeongyeon would be able to reconcile in the camp.

 

++

 

Today there is no basketball practice and Momo was on her way home when she saw Nayeon leaving the school grounds. She approached the cheerleader hastily.

“Hi Nayeon, are you going home?”

“Yes, how about you?” Nayeon asked.

“I am, w-well we got a rest day today from c-club activities” Momo stuttered feeling the butterflies in her stomach

“I see… You played well in the practice game, I didn’t know you were good at basketball.” Nayeon enthusiastically said. Momo felt her cheeks burning with Nayeon’s complements. Finally, the older has noticed her skills. It was thanks to Mina that she was able to play confidently that time.  

“I-I still need more practice though, but thank you…uhm, can we walk home together?” Momo boldly said grabbing the opportunity that Jeongyeon isn’t around Nayeon.

“Sure, let’s go” Nayeon wrapped her arm around Momo’s. And Momo’s head is all over the place. She doesn’t know how to react properly with the little advances of Nayeon.

 

This felt right. Nayeon walking beside me, her hands clinging on my arms. Her fruity scent that hypnotizes everyone who whiffs.

Nayeon broke the comforting silence with a question.

“Are you and Mina a thing?”

 

They were almost halfway to their destination and Momo had to stop walking by the unexpected question. It wasn’t like Nayeon to be curious about her relationship to anyone.

“No, we weren’t like that, we’re just good friends” the answer made Nayeon chuckle, remembering the words that she used to say to Momo before.

“So good friends do those kinds of things huh” Nayeon is referring to the kiss she witnessed at the gym.

“I don’t think you would oppose on the idea of good friends sharing a kiss” Momo’s tone became serious getting Nayeon’s full attention. Nayeon felt uncomfortable with the look on Momo’s eyes.

“Jennie, she’s one of your good friends too right? Same with Jeongyeon and people from other school as well?”  Momo continued baring all what she knows in front of Nayeon. The older felt a lump on and she couldn’t answer back.

“I’ve liked you ever since middle school. You are perfect, that’s why many people wanted to be with you. I admired your personality, your kindness. What’s crazy is that, the moment I came to know your true personality, your obsession of attention, the tricks you played to gain more followers, I still like you a lot, maybe even more now” Momo said catching her breath after a long confession.

This made Nayeon speechless. She didn’t know that Momo knows this part of her. That was true after all, but that was not all. She did worse, and hopefully Momo doesn’t know everything.

Nayeon crashed her lips against Momo, giving her a deep kiss. Momo couldn’t match the tempo of Nayeon’s sloppy kiss but it felt great. It tasted like sin, it tasted bitter. Nayeon pulled from the wet kiss and looked at Momo straight into her eyes.

“This is what you want right?” Nayeon said and Momo was still fazed with the earlier kiss. She swallowed the lump on .

“Can you keep everything you know a secret? Especially to Jeongyeon”

It sounded like a plead. And Momo felt stabbed in the chest with the mention of Jeongyeon. After all, Neyeon still wanted to play as the sweet and perfect girl in front of Jeongyeon. Why does it feel like her confession was for nothing? Like Nayeon didn’t care about her feelings.

She faked a smile and answered. “I will, I won’t tell her”

 

 

++

 

Today is another day at the practice and everyone is at the bench preparing for today’s drill. Momo approached Mina who is tying her hair in ponytail exposing her nape.

 

“Mina, after the practice let’s go to this new café” Momo excitedly suggested. Mina couldn’t help but to agree seeing the spark on the older’s eyes. She sure likes trying new food.

“Okay, in one condition, stay focused on the practice” Mina strictly said.

“Alright!” Momo was very happy that she pecked Mina’s cheeks in front of everyone, earning their attention. Mina felt the back of her neck burning searing through her cheeks. That was so sudden, and she was caught off guard. She glanced at Momo who is oblivious with the pair eyes looking at them.

 

“Hey what are you doing, people are watching!” Mina whispered but making sure that Momo can hear her.

“What’s wrong? That’s just a peck on the cheek, we even did more than that” Momo innocently said like there’s nothing wrong. Mina just shook her head in defeat, realizing what Momo said before about being open about their relationship to others, like they have one.

Her eyes wandered and noticed that Jeongyeon is also looking at them. Oh crap, she saw us too. Well, as if anything would change. Jeongyeon still looked at me like a family.


 

++

The practice ended and Jeongyeon sat beside Mina while everyone is busy in the locker and shower rooms.

“You want to go home together today?” Jeongyeon suggested. Mina looked at the person asking. The answer should be easy for Mina but this time, it’s different. She promised Momo that she will accompany her to the café and Momo complied with her promise that she’ll focus with the practice.

“I’m sorry Jeongyeon, I already have plans” this is the first time Mina rejected an opportunity. But she felt that she made the right decision.

“With Momo?” the older asked

“Yes”

Jeongyeon felt that what Momo and Mina have is more that friendship, especially after witnessing the scene earlier with the casual peck of Momo on Mina’s cheeks like it was a normal thing for the two. As much as she doesn’t like Momo for Mina, she couldn’t just impose it on the younger who she will hang out with, they are just childhood friends and neighbors. She stood up from her seat and released a defeated sigh.

“Take care then, and don’t stay too late outside” Jeongyeon reminded like a strict parent.

“Thanks, Okay” Mina nodded and gave a smile.

++

 

The two headed towards the new café and Momo ordered everything on the menu like an excited kid. They are seated facing each other in the table.

“Are you sure you can eat everything you ordered?”

“How will we know which tasted better if we won’t taste everything”

Mina just shook her head, maybe that’s the reason why Momo wanted her to tag along so that it would be less embarrassing for her if she’s eating alone. The moment the food came one by one, Momo started to devour everything on the table. Mina was eating little by little.

“You can eat slowly, you’re not in eating contest” Mina reminded the older.

They were chatting while eating when a familiar face entered the café. Mina is the first one to notice since she’s facing the door of the café. It was Nayeon, arms wrapped around the person beside her, and the person gave a peck on Nayeon’s lips. Mina saw it all. She glanced at Momo and she saw that Momo is also looking towards the direction of Nayeon. Mina couldn’t help but feel sorry for Momo at the same time she’s surprised by what she witnessed.

When Nayeon and her company settled at one of the chairs far from them, Mina held Momo’s hands. “We can leave this place if you want”

“It’s okay” Momo said in a surprisingly calm manner. Mina’s brows furrowed in confusion.

“Nayeon is that kind of girl” the older explained to the questioning look of Mina.

“What? You knew she’s been dating that person? And she still hangs out with Jeongyeon and you?” Mina raised her voice, still couldn’t believe everything.

“Please keep it a secret, Mina, I’m begging you” Momo pleaded for Mina’s silence.

There was a knot in her stomach. She couldn’t understand what she’s feeling for now. She feels her temperature rising. She couldn’t believe that Momo is asking for her silence to protect Nayeon. Maybe she does love her that much. She took another glance at the subject. She’s laughing in a flirty way which made Mina’s insides turn upside down. She’s sure now what she’s feeling.

 

Resentment.

 

++

 

A/N: Im sorry for any grammar/typo errors. Im too busy to review the chapter. Please understand I have an 8 hr daytime work haha.   

Thank you for your comments, I'm sorry i couldnt reply to you all, but i appreciate your feedback. Enjoy!