04. Confess

Lost Stars

 

The players gathered at the huge living room of the villa as they settle for their room assignment. Momo insisted on rooming with Mina, since she’s not really close with anyone in her team. Hearing the whiny Momo, Mina felt uncomfortable, with the mess inside her head, sharing the room with the older is the least she would want to do.

But just as Mina wanted to object, the coach just granted Momo’s wish to stop her from sulking and gave her the keys to one of the room. The members teased them thinking that the two is in a secret relationship. Momo carried Mina’s bags towards the room ignoring the team’s bantering. Mina followed closely still not saying a word.

Reaching their designated room, Momo noticed Mina’s silence. She placed the bags beside the queen sized bed and sat at the edge, patting the space beside her for Mina to sit. The younger heaved a defeated sigh and sat beside Momo. She couldn’t avoid the older, isn’t she?

“What’s with the long face?” Momo asked giving her a questioning look. Her jumbled mind couldn’t even allow her to process an immediate response to the question, it took her a while to answer.

“Nothing”

That’s all Mina was able to say. She felt the bed dipping beside her and saw Momo laid her back against the soft comforter. She clearly heard a sigh coming from the older.

“You’re lying. If it is because of Jeongyeon, you should tell it straight to her. I already confessed to Nayeon so you should confess too, don’t lose your chance while we are here”

Momo said it straightforwardly. And Mina felt a twist on her stomach hearing these words. It’s not that she’s surprised that Momo already confessed, the sight of the hickey on the older’s neck is more than enough to attest to that, what troubles her the most is that, it should be a normal conversation between them, but it no longer normal for her.

“Don’t worry, I will confess tonight” Mina just agreed to end the conversation without thinking much. Momo sat up and patted her head giving her a warm smile.

“Goodluck”

++

 

The team started the day with running few laps around the sandy beach while their manager is helping on preparation of their lunch. After two hours, they team hungrily ate their rations and Mina’s eyes scanned the group to look for a certain member. She saw Momo eating healthily the meal she prepared and was asking for a second round of full plate to the helper. She then looked for Jeongyeon who is also asking for another round. The helper didn’t give them the additional portion since the coach is regulating their weight. All of a sudden, Momo approached her and tug her shirt.

“Hey Mina, maybe you could give me some please?” Momo said in a cute way making Mina’s heart melt.

“You know we’re trying to be fair in this camp, Momo” Mina tried to be as strict as she was but seeing the disappointed look on the older made her break her resolve. She put a packed sandwich in Momo’s hands secretly and walked away. Momo was beaming while looking at the food placed on her hand.

“Thank you Mina” and she excitedly hugged her tight expressing her gratitude.

“Don’t be too obvious or we’ll be scolded” Mina whispered. Momo just nods in approval. Momo returned to her room for another shower to prepare for another round of practice.

 

++

Mina is just at the side watching the practice routines and tallying stats of each member, trying her very best not to be focused on only one player. But Momo is really good with practice games that she couldn’t look away. And Momo’s sweaty body made Mina’s mind wander to that one night where she was able to touch Momo’s bare abs. She shook her head in frustration to erase the thought. Focus!

 

The whole practice lasted until late in the afternoon. As usual, the players gather at the huge dining room and get their dinner. Little by little, Momo is able to bond with the team. After the dinner, the members are free to do what they want, others play card games in the room, the others are sleeping while other members are at the beach hanging out.

 

Momo went straight to the shared room to take advantage of their free time to sleep. She knew Mina would be hanging with Jeongyeon as she promised she would confess tonight. She sincerely hoped for the best for Mina.

 

Mina was walking at the shore and she saw Jeongyeon sitting at the sand. She sat beside her friend which she hasn’t talked to for a while. They’ve been both busy with clubs and personal matters. There was a comforting silence for them, until Jeongyeon broke it with a question.

“Can you manage these whole three days alone? I mean you are our only manager and you have to do everything alone”

“I have to admit it’s tiring but I’m okay, I can manage” Mina said.

“Hmm, okay, how are you and Momo?” Jeongyeon curiously asked. If the question was asked few weeks before, she could answer that nothing is going on between her and Momo, but today, she’s too occupied with thoughts of the older that she’s too confused with what’s going on.

“I don’t know” Mina said quietly as she released a sigh. Are they friends? She couldn’t even put into a word what’s going on between them. Now, she’s with Jeongyeon and the least she could do now is to reconfirm her feelings toward her best friend. She looked at the older’s face, like finding the pieces of the things that made her heart flutter before. The eyes that she used to love staring, the nose, the lips that she used to imagine kissing. Kissing. The thought of kissing reminds her of Momo’s soft lips and suddenly she missed Momo’s kisses. She felt her heart shrinks at the thought and she felt her eyes now wet with tears. Jeongyeon reached for her cheeks to wipe her tears. Even though Jeongyeon couldn’t understand the real reason for Mina’s tears, she’s sure it was about Momo.

“I’m sorry” Mina said and she abruptly stood up and run away towards her room. She silently clicked the door knob to see Momo already sleeping. The pressure in her chest came back seeing the cause of her tears. Then it struck her. She wanted to be with this person and it hurts her so much, more painful than before, that she’s falling deep into the person and she’s sure Momo wouldn’t want that if she knew. Momo might drift away from her if she fell in love, and she wasn’t prepared for that. Never.

She tried her best to not wake the older as she lay beside her. Looking at Momo’s back facing her, she clutched her hand in her chest to stop herself from the urge of touching Momo. The urge to feel her skin, her touch, and her warmth. But what she couldn’t suppress is her tears. She wiped her tear stained cheeks and closed her eyes. I hope I could stand seeing her without feeling this pathetic.

 

++

Momo opened her eyes when she felt the bed dipped when Mina lay beside her, she heard the younger’s silent sob but she couldn’t move. She knew that what happened with Jeongyeon has something to do with her sudden crying. She pretended to be asleep to give Mina some alone time to cope with her emotions. It must be hard on her to cry like this. After a few moments, she couldn’t hear the sobs and she decided to turn to face the younger. Mina already was sleeping. She moved closer to give Mina a hug pulling her head below her chin. She doesn’t know if it was her who is comforting Mina or is Mina comforting her, she feels cozy around the girl and smelling her shampoo is one of her favorites.

++

Mina woke up feeling the weight of an arm resting against her waist. The familiar scent welcomed her consciousness and she felt her heart racing when she realized that Momo’s hugging her while she was sleeping. She didn’t move. Her eyes wandered to Momo’s lips, to her jawline, and to her neck and again, she noticed the mark that was made by Nayeon. Her hand reached Momo’s neck touching the mark making the older open her eyes. Mina was frozen, she couldn’t react when Momo stared at her, her hand still holding the slightly red mark.

“You’re awake” the older mumbled, slightly sleepy. Momo tightened the embrace remembering last night’s crying of the girl, leaving their faces an inch apart.

“Last night, how did it went?” the older tries to initiate

“Momo, I’m sorry, I don’t want to talk about it now” she looked down to avoid Momo’s gaze that might read her true emotions. Momo learning about her feelings is the least she would want to happen, that might ruin what they have now. She clutched on Momo’s shirt and the older leaned closer, landing her lips against Mina’s. These subtle hints are enough for Momo to know Mina wanted. It’s been always like that. Mina wanted warmth, and she will always be there to fill those needs.

The kiss was gentle, more like reassuring. It was warm, Mina missed these kind of intimacy like they haven’t done it for days. She can kiss Momo all she wants, she can even do beyond that, but she wanted more. More than the kisses and .

The gentle kiss became deeper, hot, and fiery. Mina lost it when she pushed Momo’s back against the bed and positioned herself at the top, still not breaking the kiss. She goes lower, kissing Momo’s jaw down to the crook of her neck. She planted a kiss mark on the exact same position of Nayeon’s mark. Like reacquiring her possession. Momo moaned in response, she wanted to hear more. Momo’s hands are already inside her shirt groping her . She wanted more.

A knock broke their heated activity. And Mina pulled away in sync with Momo’s quick action to sit up.

“Momo! Mina! Wake up, it’s time for the breakfast” The coach yelled.

“Yes coach, we’ll be there in a minute” Momo shouted while looking at Mina heading straight to the bathroom. She took her sleeping clothes off and wore her training clothes. She didn’t wait for Mina and went out of the room to avoid the members’ teasing.

++

 

After the breakfast, Jeongyeon gathered the team for a brief announcement.

“We’re doing good with our practice and I can see that we are gradually improving on our teamwork. We also need to emphasize on our individual improvement specially in shooting, but all in all, we’re doing great. Also, for the remaining days, I asked the cheerleader’s club for some help so Mina would not be alone assisting us all. They’ll be arriving soon so please give them a warm welcome”

Momo was sure Nayeon would be there if it was Jeongyeon who asked them. In a moment, they heard people entering the court, three of the cheerleaders agreed to help them, Nayeon, Sana, and Jihyo. These three would accompany them until tomorrow. Momo couldn’t help to look at Nayeon, remembering their last encounter at her apartment.

Nayeon automatically went beside Jeongyeon and ask her about the things they would help to. Mina, on the other hand, is looking intently at Momo who is not even subtle in staring at Nayeon. Mina knew this would happen but it is too much to handle especially the tightness in her chest every time she sees Momo.

 

++

 

Mina and the three cheerleaders are at the bleachers. She is busy with her usual tallying in her stat sheets while the three are at stand by in case there is immediate need with the players. They are having a practice game again and the team is divided equally, Momo and Jeongyeon are against each other this time. Momo tied her black long hair in a high ponytail before starting the game, and Mina didn’t know that tying hair could be this y. Again, she’s lost in her own world.

A whistle commenced the tip off. And Momo’s team gains the initial possession having the upper hand at the start of the game. Being the ace player, her teammates is always passing her the ball and Jeongyeon is alert in finding Momo to contest her shot. The first contested shot went in.

Jeongyeon is setting the pace for her team and Momo is the one guarding her, even though there is a slight height difference, she wanted to try to stop Jeongyeon, who is the second best in scoring in the team and the first in defensive play. Her whole body is pressed against the back of Jeongyeon, who dribbling her way to the paint.

“You can’t guard me” Jeongyeon exclaimed while spinning quickly making Momo frozen in her place and the older managed to score a basket with a lay-up. The competition between the two became more serious every ball possession.

The defensive pressure Jeongyeon gave is frustrating to Momo, the older’s arms are all around the place making her court vision shrink. She couldn’t even pass the ball, feeling the 24 seconds time running out, she forced her way towards the free throw line by slightly elbowing Jeongyeon which earned her first personal foul.

Momo is really pissed right now with Jeongyeon for several reasons. First, because she made Mina cry last night. Second, because she invited Nayeon in the training camp that would probably hurt Mina as well, and third, because she’s trying her best to beat her in the practice game.

The ball turned to Jeongyeon’s team possession. Momo was quick to close her distance with her, forcing her to slow down her pace. Jeongyeon who likes to talk, never fails to annoy Momo.

“Aren’t you being insensitive towards Mina?” Jeongyeon said wanting to aggravate Momo at the same time she wanted to know the real deal between the two. Momo on the other hand, felt really infuriated with the question. “Aren’t you the one being the thoughtless here, after you made Mina cry last night?” Momo retorted while pushing Jeongyeons waist to prevent her from going inside the arch. “What are you talking about?” Jeongyeon was confused.

“You are hurting Mina and you made things worse when you invited Nayeon” Momo said vexingly.

“Don’t involve Nayeon in this one, and I don’t know what you’re talking about’ Jeongyeon still dribbling forces her way inside, but Momo is too quick to follow her. Feeling mad at Momo’s allegations, she raised her elbow, to force her way towards the basket, hitting Momo’s face hard that made her fall to the groud. Momo snapped and immediately stood up and punched the older in her face and both of them started punching each other. The members and the coach are trying to stand in between the fight but the two still keeps on approaching each other not backing down. Mina after seeing the first punch immediately went down wanting to help the members to split the two. The cheerleaders also gathered around.

“How could you hurt Mina like that?! She’s been sticking with you since she became the manager of this team! She loved the wrong person! She’s wrong for choosing you!” Momo blurted out in a loud tone. Mina was frozen and she felt pair of eyes are looking at her, including Jeongyeon’s. Jeongyeon couldn’t believe what she just heard, everything Momo said just doesn’t make sense at all.

“What?” Jeongyeon asked, wanting to reconfirm what Momo was saying.

“Don’t act like you don’t know!” Momo untangled her arms from the members who’re holding her away from Jeongyeon and approached Mina pulling her arms away from the crowd. “Let’s go”

 

++

 

A/N: Sorry this is too raw. You know I hate proof reading. Kindly ignore any errors. Thank you!