Lesson 3

First Love

“There you go, girl.” The boss came back with Seulgi’s order.

“Thank you, Boss. You are amazing.”

“How am I going to return his balance?” The boss turned to Mark’s table to clean up. She realized the money on the table was more than the amount of Mark’s food. She wanted to return the balance, but Mark had left.

“He is my classmate. I can pass his balance to him later.” Wendy saw the money the boss held in hands. Immediately, she knew what the boss was concern about, so she offered to return the balance for the owner.

“Thank you, Wendy.” The boss handed the balance to Wendy. The boss knew both girls well, so she trusted them.

 

Wendy said goodbye to Seulgi when they reached their floor. The girls separated their ways. When Wendy stepped into her class, she saw a few girls standing in front Mark, who was wearing a headset on his seat. She knew the girl that stood in the middle. She remembered the name of that girl, Naeun. Naeun was the queen bee of the school.

Wendy then saw Naeun handed Mark a sandwich and juice, but Mark did not look up.

Hi Mark. My name is Naeun. I prepared these for you. Hope you like it.” Wendy was curious about Mark’s response. Just like she expected, Mark looked at Naeun but did not accept the sandwich and juice. He looked back down.

Wendy walked to her seat and sat down. Wendy felt Naeun’s jealousy because Naeun was staring at her. Wendy felt so innocent that moment for she did nothing wrong. The bell rang. Naeun went back to her seat.

Wendy the remembered about Mark’s money. She took the money out of her pocket and handed it to Mark. Mark looked at Wendy.

“Your balance for the breakfast just now. You left so soon that the boss did not manage to return the change.”

“Thank you.” Mark took the money from Wendy after he heard Wendy. they did not talk after that. Wendy took out her books and Mark continued doing whatever he was doing before. The conversation between Mark and Wendy did not escape the eyes of Naeun. Naeun was jealous of Wendy for Wendy get to talk with Mark.

 

In the afternoon, Seulgi came to eat with Wendy as usual. Seulgi brought three lunch boxes this time as Wendy told her to. She passed them to Wendy as she went to move a chair for herself. Wendy saw Mark was lying on the table with his head down, so she thought he was sleeping. She quietly put one lunch box on his table. Then she started to eat. After eating, Wendy and Seulgi went for their student government meeting.

“There is a swimming competition coming up, but our swimming team is lacking members to participate in that competition.” One of the members, who was also the swimming team’s captain, shared his concern in the meeting.

“You can promote your club and recruit some members.” Someone in the meeting suggested.

“There is only one month left. It’s too difficult to train a new person for that competition. We need someone that is good at swimming.”

When Wendy heard the captain, she thought of Mark. She knew Mark is a good swimmer, and she believed Mark could help the school’s swimming team to win the competition.

“I know someone who can swim well. I will talk to him.” Wendy told the captain. Then the student government went to discuss other things. After the meeting, Wendy went back to the class to find Mark, but Mark could not be found. She then thought Mark would be in the swimming pool.